1. Nahida
    Nahida September 4, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

Everyone is leaving. =(

2. Sophie Inchains
    Sophie Inchains September 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

Farewell! Great book list! Thank you!

Sophie

3. Jane
    Jane September 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

Most recently/currently working on (mix of various things):

The Scenes of the Street (a collection of essays on the urban evolution of Paris), Anthony Vidler
    Rose Daughter, Robin McKinley
    For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway (also known as, “Only Old Women Get Personalities.”)

Soon to be working on:
    The Death and Life of Great American Cities, Jane Jacobs

Alas, I don’t read enough nonfiction. :(

4. Captain Awkward
    Captain Awkward September 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

Awesome list. And I’ll be thinking about and quoting your “You can just…” post for a long time.

5. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. September 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm |

Ahhhh…..*sob*

Also, I have no books that aren’t related to my current research…but if you enjoy learning about fiduciaries (and how they might provide a solutions to the problems caused by capitalism) you can try Tamar Frankel’s Trust and Honesty. I find her work inspiring and inspired.

6. Brandy
    Brandy September 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

I’ve really enjoyed your posts!

Based on the first in your list, I recommend Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit by Barry Estabrook.

7. Alison
    Alison September 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm |

Great list – I’ll definitely be adding some of those to my list of “to read”.

I just finished Melissa Harris-Perry’s new book Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America. Cannot recommend it enough – it’s a really deep and poignant read on what it means to be an African American woman in this country, past and present, culturally, politically, etc. It’s scholarly while also totally accessible, and very powerful. http://amzn.to/qnNSkR