1. CassandraSays
    CassandraSays September 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm |

She means animosity rather than anonymity, right?

Also, not buying it. The original post was positively steeped in contempt towards girly things. I’m someone who does find childishness in adults a bit offputting, so I even agreed with some of her points, but the way she made them was not very feminist at all.

2. Nahida
    Nahida September 17, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

Well that was… weird.

3. karak
    karak September 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

I’m just here for the chanting. One of us! One of us!

4. maruja de lujo
    maruja de lujo September 18, 2011 at 5:02 am |

I don’t buy it either. This woman needs to learn to write better if she doesn’t want her writing to be “misinterpreted”. Mentioning her profession wouldn’t have been enough to make these phrases seem ironic.
    “…it does indeed appear that we’ve lost sight of what it means to be a badass, strong, tough woman…
    “… This weird retro world of cooking, heirloom tomatoes and Jane Austen is starting to feel a bit smug and smothering.”
    “…a genre normally full of victims. Let’s hope tough gals become a new trend.”
    Her “tongue-in-cheek!” “misinterpreted!” comment doesn’t help. I suppose “anonymity” was mean to be “enmity” or “acrimony”, but I can’t work out whether “Gardening is definitely for wusses” is meant to be ironic, was typed too fast, or is just more of the same “crafts! yuck!” content as the original article.

5. samanthab
    samanthab September 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

Um, okay. It’s good to know that she is willing to trash large swathes of women because her editor wanted that “slant.” “Feminism” means a lot of things to different people, but to me a pretty big component is standing the fuck up for other women/yourself as a woman, whether it’s expedient to do so or not. So: no she’s not one of me because I don’t happen to value a paycheck and resume at all cost to my ideals.

And I’m very not so big on the manipulativeness of her last line! We’re not a goddamned membership club, the ladies of the feminist persuasion. We’re ladies that like to think independently, as best I can tell, and that ladies’ “solidarity” crap is so, so often a way to stifle dissent. Men don’t waiver all rights to independent thinking because of their mutual dudeliness; I would really like to think the same is true of the un-dudes.

6. NBarnes
    NBarnes September 19, 2011 at 11:44 am |

Anybody that wants my Jane Austen will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands, over the pile of bodies of people who tried before them. If there’s two things in this world I like, it’s violent video games with big guns and Jane Austen.

7. Athenia
    Athenia September 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm |

She disses cupcakes *majorly* and then she says she’s a professional baker? WTF? Where does HuffPo get its writers? Really.