A first-hand account of Occupy Wall Street violence

Photo of Occupy Wall Street protestors. Some were sprayed with mace, and others are helping them.

My name is Kelly Schomburg, I’m the girl with the red hair in these pictures. I was protesting at the Occupy Wall Street march yesterday when I and several other women were sprayed with mace and subsequently arrested. Many have already seen the video, which has been spreading like wildfire over twitter, Facebook, tumblr, and other video feeds, along with hundreds of other photos and videos. This is my recount of what happened.

I started off the march at noon with all the others, and we marched from Liberty Plaza all the way to Union Square. We were blocked off by policemen at times, but the majority of us sought to avoid any conflict and keep moving. We took up the sidewalks and the streets. We chanted. We were heard.

Read it all here.

10 comments for “A first-hand account of Occupy Wall Street violence

1. September 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for posting this. I’ll be reposting it myself to ensure that Kelly Schomberg’s story is heard.

2. September 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

If the G20 summit in Toronto is any indication, this story will be added to a list of stories and nothing will come of it. It’s disgusting.

3. konkonsn
    September 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’m kind of…heartened? I mean, it’s terrible what happened, but someone is feeling threatened by these protests. Yay? Or maybe that’s a bad thing…maybe they’re just stamping out the little fires before they get too hot.

4. Joe
    September 28, 2011 at 12:33 am

Bless your heart. Plead not guilty.

5. Marksman2010
    September 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm

The United States of America.

Great country, ain’t it? I can just feel that freedom and liberty coursing through my veins right now.

Amen.

6. Joy
    September 29, 2011 at 12:16 am

I hope everyone there gets the best ACLU lawyers and sues the f***ing hell out of those ratb******s !!!!!!!

7. Dave
    October 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Don’t break the law and you won’t get maced. The whole idea of mace is to do you no phycial harm but encourage you to cease your illegal activity.
    If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

8. October 24, 2011 at 12:25 am

Wall Street with the help of republican­s (and some democrats) have sucked this country dry with their shameless greed. After being bailed out by taxpayers they pay themselves lavish salaries and obscene bonuses and then complain bitterly if asked to contribute to the country.