Tuesday Oct. 4 at Yale: “Resolved: College Sexual Culture Endangers Women”

I’m very excited to be speaking at the Yale Political Union tomorrow, Tuesday Oct. 4th, on college sexual culture and gender. The event will be at 7:30PM, in Sudler Hall/WLH 201. From the YPU announcement:

This week’s debate is as close to home as it gets—from the editorial pages of campus publications to dining halls and FroCo meetings, Yalies have been drawn into a serious evaluation of our sexual culture. Last semester’s Title IX complaint was only the most recent expression of growing concerns about the environment Yale creates for its female students. No matter where you stand on this issue, we hope you’ll join the conversation Tuesday night! Some questions to consider:

In a college social scene, when does risk become endangerment?
What characteristics are unique to college, and what sorts of behavior should that permit or enable?
Do problems arise primarily from the actions of specific individuals and groups, or collective attitudes?
What role should the University play in addressing potential endangerment?

Hope to see some Feministe fans in the audience!

About Jill

This entry was posted in Events, Feminism and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Tuesday Oct. 4 at Yale: “Resolved: College Sexual Culture Endangers Women”

1. nd says:

Including Yalies. So excited Stephen got you!

2. Jess says:

HOORAY, Yale is super excited to have you!

3. A says:

Wow, I’m so glad I saw this in time! I’ll try to make it!

4. Stephen says:

SO EXCITED for this.

5. JD says:

Awesome! I’ll have to see if I can make it.

6. DouglasG says:

Why almost all the interesting events I’d like to attend are always scheduled for Tuesday evening (the only evening I haven’t been available for well over fifteen years) I’ll never know.

7. DouglasG says:

I’ll actually be only ten minutes away at the time.

Their web site is either a bit behind or doesn’t list events in advance. And I note with interest that the names of all the Chief Whips (House of Cards, anyone?) suggest that all seven parties that comprise the YPU are headed by males. Sigh.

8. Any chance you’ll be able to post a video and/or transcript?

9. Shannon says:

I am so excited you’re coming to Yale!

10. Gudknit says:

We’ll be there to support you Jill!

11. Katie says:

Just an FYI – the Chief Whips are not the heads of their parties, that position is “Chair” or “Chairman”. Moreover, many parties have seen more female chairman than male chairman in recent history, including the parties on the right, and most are about 50/50. Many parties have their own websites with lists of historical masthead officers if you are interested.

DouglasG:
    I’ll actually be only ten minutes away at the time.

Their web site is either a bit behind or doesn’t list events in advance.And I note with interest that the names of all the Chief Whips (House of Cards, anyone?) suggest that all seven parties that comprise the YPU are headed by males.Sigh.

12. JE says:

Broke my longstanding rule against going to see YPU debates for your presence. It was worth it! Such a great speaker. Just wish I could have heard more above the hissing…

13. YSM '12 says:

Jill, thank you so much for coming – it was great to have you, and I loved your speech.

For the interested: the resolution passed that college sexual culture endangers women. (…hooray?)

And woman who spoke third, if you’re reading this, I will vote for you any time you want.

14. Josh says:

Thanks so much for coming! You were amazing!

15. DouglasG says:

Katie:
    Just an FYI – the Chief Whips are not the heads of their parties, that position is “Chair” or “Chairman”.Moreover, many parties have seen more female chairman than male chairman in recent history, including the parties on the right, and most are about 50/50.Many parties have their own websites with lists of historical masthead officers if you are interested.

That’s encouraging. I did wonder, as it seemed an unusual title for a head, but I just didn’t see anything to suggest otherwise.

16. Ferny Reyes says:

For this whole discussion, see these two posts:

DouglasG: That’s encouraging.I did wonder, as it seemed an unusual title for a head, but I just didn’t see anything to suggest otherwise.

17. Suzanne says:

I realize you probably have many, many other spoons in the air, but I would love to read a write-up of this debate/panel/thing. Not necessarily a transcript, but a general idea of what was said, what people asked etc. If you have time, of course!