Heroes

Zurana Horton.

New York’s Daily News is reporting the gut-wrenchingly sad story of a pregnant Brooklyn mother who died amid a hail of bullets on Friday afternoon as she tried to protect schoolchildren at Public School 298 in the borough’s Brownsville section from a gunman perched atop a nearby roof.

Zurana Horton, the 33-year-old pregnant woman, was hit in the head in front of the Lucky Supermarket at Pitkin Ave. and Watkins St. after she threw herself over a group of children, cops and witnesses said.

“Moments before, she was seen hovering over several children to protect them,” NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said.

The second woman was shot in the arm and chest. The 31-year-old was listed in stable condition at Brookdale University Hospital. The 11-year-old girl, identified as Cheanne McKnight, a 6th-grader at P.S. 298, was being treated at Brookdale for a graze wound to the cheek.

A source said Horton, a mother of 13, had just picked up one of her kids from nearby P.S. 298. A teacher ran to her side and whisked at least one of her children into a nearby firehouse for safety.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Florence
    Florence October 25, 2011 at 9:08 am |

Jesus. This is heart-breaking.

I can’t help but feel that the commentary at The Root — saying that if this happened in tony Manhattan instead of one of the poorest neighborhoods in New York — this would be an outrage all over the headlines.

Is there any fund set up for her surviving children?

2. Florence
    Florence October 25, 2011 at 9:13 am |

I started googling and see there *is* a fund, but I don’t see a link to it or a presence for the fund online. Can anyone help?

3. Sheelzebub
    Sheelzebub October 25, 2011 at 9:15 am |

Oh my God.

4. auditorydamage
    auditorydamage October 25, 2011 at 9:40 am |

I have to agree with Florence re: The Root’s analysis, particularly since the first place I heard about this horrific incident was here and not one of the major media outlets I peruse. Workplace shootings get top coverage, school shootings in smaller communities get top coverage. Some asshole peppers kids and women with bullets in a poor part of a big city? Oh well, their fault for living there.

5. Paraxeni
    Paraxeni October 25, 2011 at 10:28 am |

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Some of the comments at The Root are despicable.

That poor, brave woman.

6. Lindsay Beyerstein
    Lindsay Beyerstein October 25, 2011 at 10:43 am |

It is all over the headlines in New York. It dominated front pages of the New York Post and the New York Daily News and it made the front page of the New York Times online (I don’t know where it ran in the print edition).

Of course, if this had happened to a white woman in Manhattan there would be saturation coverage nationwide. So, point taken.

7. Bagelsan
    Bagelsan October 25, 2011 at 10:46 am |

Wow. I heard about the shooting on Yahoo and that a mother had covered the children, but none of the details. Mother of 13? Mother of whichever little kids she protected with her life, too, in my book. I’m glad none of the kids were killed but that’s tragic that woman had to make such a sacrifice (not to mention how her own family must feel, though I’m sure they’re not surprised to know what she did.)

8. preying mantis
    preying mantis October 25, 2011 at 11:47 am |

Video is on CNN’s front page now.

9. Bitter Scribe
    Bitter Scribe October 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

I hope they catch that gunman quick, and I hope he never gets out of prison. SOBs like that make me just a little shakier in my lifelong opposition to the death penalty.

10. Kathleen
    Kathleen October 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm |

Bitter Scribe — from the account I read, it sounded as though the gunman may have been a teenager. Not necessarily an “SOB”, just so damn sad.

Zurana Horton should get national coverage for sure.

11. Marie
    Marie October 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    A PREGNANT 33 year-old mother of THIRTEEN??? What is wrong with these people?? Is this the Middle Ages Spanish countryside??

If she had been any smarter she would have managed to avoid a situation in which she would be gunned down by a stranger like that. But then again, if she had that intellectual capability, she wouldn’t have had THIRTEEN kids (and ONE MORE on the way) by 33, now would she? She surely couldn’t take care of her kids like that, what kind of a mother is that who doesn’t bother to think if she would be able to correctly provide for her kids?

We know what happens then: She was shot by an 18 year old gang member.. Well, those kids that you pop out without bothering to think if you will be able to provide for them grow up to be, well, gangsters who shoot at one another killing passers-by.. Karma IS a b*tch..

12. Bagelsan
    Bagelsan October 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

Coincidentally, Jill… :D

*at the Rapture*

Jesus: Bye Marie!

13. igglanova
    igglanova October 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm |

O__________________________________o

Damn, that’s a lotta hate.

14. Lemur
    Lemur October 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |

I feel so bad for her kids- from the way it sounds at least one saw her die. They’re going to need some serious help.

15. Matt
    Matt October 25, 2011 at 11:00 pm |

Just fyi, bottlenose dolphins murder and rape each other, although possibly not as much as humans because they don’t have guns. Also, they don’t have social movements dedicated to improving this state of affairs: dolphins. So good luck with your species change. Also dolphins have been reported to rape people.

auditorydamage:

I would like to again express my desire to renounce my association with the species homo sapiens. Is tursiops truncatus accepting terrestrial members??

16. miga
    miga October 26, 2011 at 12:03 am |

@ Marie:

Sarcasm? ur doin’ it wrong. Fail.

Straight up? Extra wrong. Extra fail-sauce for you.

Jeezus, that was a triggering comment.

17. matlun
    matlun October 26, 2011 at 12:37 am |

@Bitter Scribe: They have made an arrest.

According to that article it sounds like a gang shooting where the gunman was actually shooting at a rival gang.

18. zuzu
    zuzu October 26, 2011 at 12:47 am |

Marie: Karma IS a b*tch.

I do so love when the folks who express such vile ideas get all modest about mild swear words.

19. shfree
    shfree October 26, 2011 at 2:02 am |

The one thing that I always wish though, in the tragic shooting incidents, is that they wouldn’t just identify the women by their family relationships, but also the men. I never read how a male victim is the father of these many children, or a grandfather, but the focus is always on how it is so much worse that a mother dies, or a grandmother, as opposed to simply a woman.

Regardless though, this whole thing chills me to the bone, and makes me hug my daughter.

20. f.
    f. October 26, 2011 at 6:14 am |

Damn, what a story. Heartbreaking.

21. Angel H.
    Angel H. October 26, 2011 at 7:58 am |

I wish I could say that I’m surprised this isn’t getting more coverage.

I wish I could say that I’m surprised that I’m surprised that most reactions on the news forums are similar to Marie’s.

I wish I could say that I’m surprised. But I’m not surprised that I can’t.