Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin November 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

This is good news, but I’m again a little frustrated about how little of this stuff makes it to the public consciousness.

I had to learn news values in college. Perhaps you did too. I had to memorize certain ways that the mainstream media discerns what it covers and chooses not to cover. Those who make news have often kept those values in mind. So a leaderless, open-ended movement like Occupy may function well within itself, but the MSM wants to keep things simple and easy to explain.

There’s a reason why the evening news is written on a fifth grade level. I want Occupy to grow, but I also know that the existing framework is incompatible with its current setup.

2. Florence
    Florence November 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

Insert Greenstreet joke.

3. Politicalguineapig
    Politicalguineapig November 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm |

Still not going. I have better things to do. I support what they’re doing, but in the end it’s my ass that’s on the line, and I do not feel comfortable around the predictable bunch of hipsters who aren’t grown enough to get that women are people.

4. FYouMudFlaps
    FYouMudFlaps November 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm |

As far as I see here from Tampa, the Occupy movement is full of prominent female voices. It’s very nice to see.

5. April
    April November 1, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

In Minneapolis, women are very much involved in every area. I’ve been a part of the organization of OccupyMN from the beginning, and I never felt a disparity of power or numbers between men and women. Of course, there have been privilege issues on occasion and incidents where people have used, like the article said, casual misogynistic or other slurs and things like that, but structurally, I’m really impressed with our occupation in that regard. Mostly everyone is committed to horizontal organization first and foremost, and it shows.

6. Politicalguineapig
    Politicalguineapig November 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm |

April: In that case, I might reconsider. I still have a lot to do: my volunteering gigs are much more important to me than the protest.

7. Miss S
    Miss S November 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

I’m probably going to be heading down to the Occupy Baltimore protests this week. I’ve been less concerned about violence, and more concerned with feeling out of place. This makes me feel better.

8. Andie
    Andie November 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm |

Florence:
    Insert Greenstreet joke.

So glad I’m not the only one whose mind went there.

9. Friday Round Up: Who Will Carpe Occupy Wall Street’s Chaos? | 9 Ways

[...] are the women of Occupy Wall Street?” by Jill.  Feministe, November 1, [...]

10. Reading and Assignment for November 18 « Women, Culture, and Identity

[...] Where are the Women at Occupy Wall Street? (make sure to click through to look at the articles the author is quoting from) [...]