Things to eat all winter long

Especially if you are, like me, a carbohydrate loyalist.

And if you’re in New York (or Paris you lucky dog), you can have a macaron for dessert.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Mercutia
    Mercutia November 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm |

#4 on that pasta link. OMG, I want it NOW.

*makes grocery list*

And you can get macarons plenty of places. I live in Virginia and the local bakery has several flavors all the time.

2. Shoshie
    Shoshie November 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

Almond macaroons (not macarons) are delicious! As are some homemade coconut macaroons. The ones from a box are gross, though.

And I’ve been seeing macarons around a lot of random places these days. I think they’re the fad-sweet of the moment.

3. PhysioProf
    PhysioProf November 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm |

If you like carbs, visit my blogge!!! There are fucketonnes of my delicious risotto and pasta recipes, many of which either are vegetarian or can be easily adapted to be vegetarian.

4. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. November 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm |

I received a pasta maker for our anniversary (as part of my never ending quest to make homemade soba) and started making fresh pasta. OMG its so good and not as hard to do once you get the process down. Last night I made a nice batch that M filled with spinach and mascapone and covered with a bright red sauce. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it….drool…

5. Politicalguineapig
    Politicalguineapig November 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm |

For some reason, I read the last line as ‘have a maricon for dessert.’
    Kristin: Make that three guests. Home-made pasta.. *drool*

6. Andie
    Andie November 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm |

I read it as ‘Have macaroni’ for dessert.

7. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. November 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

Consider yourselves invited. Although I have not quite figured out how to make vegan pasta that has the right texture…so the vegans among us may have to suffer through less deliciousness (although still more delicious than non-fresh pasta).

8. Léna
    Léna November 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm |

In France, you can find loooot of delicious macarons outside Paris :)

9. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. November 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm |

Bacon pasta? Dear god…that’s genius. Can you put bacon *in* the pasta? MUST EXPERIMENT! And if I fail…its still bacon and pasta…

10. LC
    LC November 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm |

Well carbonara is always the default if you have bacon and pasta (and some egg) lying around.

But actually cooking strips of bacon down until they ARE the pasta? DARING!

11. Politicalguineapig
    Politicalguineapig November 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm |

Andie: Erroneous speed reading for the win!
    Jill and Kristin: Could you quit please? I had delicious enchiladas, and you’re making me hungry. Although, Kristin, if you ever do figure out how to get bacon in pasta, I demand a recipe.

12. Fat Steve
    Fat Steve November 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

The first bakery listed (Almondine) is literally and metaphorically right up my street. The macaroons are sublime and are what led me to bake my own (I literally binned 4 attempts before finally on the 5th time making them as close to perfection as I am capable of, tried 3 times since…all in the bin.) There is a Japanese book (available in english translation on Amazon) called I Love Macarons which provides invaluable advice (and their troubleshooting section always makes you slap your head an think ‘that’s why they got fucked up.’

But back to Almondine, everything is awesome, the breads, the quiche, the Almond croissants (all the croissants,) basically everything. I know DUMBO is not the most easily accessible part of Brooklyn, but with gems like this place it is well worth a visit, (Obviously there’s other cool stuff besides the bakery!)

13. Kristen J.
    Kristen J. November 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm |

Jill: Yes, carbonara is one of my favorite easy go-to pasta dishes. But I want bacon IN the pasta. IN THE PASTA!

Oh, Jill…its possible. It’s deliciously possible.

14. Regina
    Regina November 3, 2011 at 7:51 am |

Actually, some of the best macarons you could hope to find are here in Columbus at Pistacia Vera bakery. Right now, they have maple walnut & pumpkin spice–yum. :-)