Men Call Me Things

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to spend a day in the glamorous life of a feminist blogger? Check out #mencallmethings on Twitter, which was started by Sady Doyle. (Trigger warning for rape, violence and misogyny).

xx your favorite lesbian hambeast

23 comments for “Men Call Me Things

1. November 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I’m totally making Lesbian Hambeast the side dish I bring to Thanksgiving from now on.

Also, I am buying you a virtual drink right now. A big one.

2. November 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I think there are lots of men who appreciate the perspective of sites like these. I’m sure I’ve disagreed with some things from time to time, but it’s good to hear contemporary feminist ideas from people who are my age as opposed to hearing about them from older activists who have gone big media and mainstream. Anyway, hang in there. Unfortunately I think a lot of times the anonymity of the internet makes far too many people, particularly men, loose themselves and vanish into id-land. I would try to ignore it if I could, but I would understand that it’s not easy.

3. LC
    November 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Captain Awkward: I’m totally making Lesbian Hambeast the side dish I bring to Thanksgiving from now on

OMG, can I have some!?!?

4. Florence
    November 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

LESBIAN HAMBEAST.

5. November 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Buffy the Baby Slayer is pretty good also.

6. protocoach
    November 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I am so thoroughly fucking embarrassed by my gender sometimes.

7. petpluto
    November 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Jill:
    Buffy the Baby Slayer is pretty good also.

Is it wrong that I now aspire to be called that someday?

No? Yes?

In any event, that may be a Halloween costume I make for myself.

8. November 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

This is reconfirming the lesson I have learned in the “Threat of the Day” thread: While a lot of these guys are hiding behind anonymity, a whole lot AREN’T. There are a lot of trolls being pretty blatant and brazen under their own names.

9. Raja
    November 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Isn’t this the woman who wrote a completely inaccurate discription of Game of Thrones a month earlier?

10. Anonymouse
    November 7, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Is this Game of Thrones thing ever going to die? Clearly, because she wrote about your fandom toys in a way you don’t appreciate, she deserves rape threats. Every day. For the rest of her life. Of course.

But, Buffy the Baby Slayer is sort of adorable.

11. November 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Seriously. WTF does Sady’s Game of Thrones post have to do with any of this?

12. November 7, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I’m not going to click through. (thanks for the trigger warning) But I can imagine.

And Buffy the Baby Slayer is my hero.

13. November 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Raja:

Isn’t this the person comparing apples to… well, not oranges, those are at least both fruits… hmmm…

Isn’t this the person comparing apples to freeway on-ramps?

14. November 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

Brian Schlosser: Isn’t this the person comparing apples to freeway on-ramps?

“That’s like comparing apples to the early works of Raymond Carver!”

15. November 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love Sady Doyle. I don’t watch Game of Thrones, but I’d let her write an inaccurate post about Parks & Recreation any day. LOVE HER.

16. Sheelzebub
    November 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

If I never, EVER hear about that goddamn Game of Thrones again, it will be too soon. Some of us manage to go on when feminist bloggers write posts bashing our favorite books, TV shows, and movies.

I mean really? The point of the hashtag is to show just how gendered, violent, and threatening the trolling posts and emails get, and how it can and sometimes does escalate into meat-space harassment. But do let’s talk about Game of Fucking Thrones.

17. DoublyLinkedLists
    November 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I must say, I was very excited about reading the posts on this hashtag, but since twitter is totally stupid, most of the posts are just “Read this!” or “This is problematic because I’m a man/radfems were mean to me once/women are totally bitchy” which is not nearly as interesting to read.

18. preying mantis
    November 8, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Brian Schlosser: What I find troubling are the women who are posting that they are only ever called lovely, sweet, tender terms of endearment by men… Lucky, lying, trolling or all of the above?

Some of them seemed to be trying to set up a contrast between the behavior of decent men with the behavior of Rapethreat McUrahambeast, but they weren’t saying things like “only” and “ever.”

19. November 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I just took it to mean that these women have never gone out of their way to say anything even vaguely questionable, and are either ignorant of/perfectly content with their position in the patriarchy.

20. Gabrielle
    November 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

If you haven’t seen this already, please check out this amazing post from a dude’s POV about male privilege and sexual harassment, especially online!

21. November 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I just got emails on this, calling me a begger and a tramp because I exposed his financial connections to one of our city council members who ran for political office.