1. WitchWolf
    WitchWolf January 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm |

Thank you for your wonderful story! I am a white women in her mid 40s who is also childfree by choice. I am also very supportive of abortion access because it’s important to make sure that it’s accessible.

— Did you find in your studies that if their was a social-economic reason why WOC had less abortions than her white women?

(I am not sure if you have access to – But I think some public libraries now have remote access to online journals – Each are different — I have used it before – and some have access to journals that you might find on google.scholar. Again, some libraries allow you to access online books from your library as well. Again each library is different – You can start by researching your town library or the biggest nearest city and see if they allow access with your local library cards. There is also inter-library loan. )

2. damigiana
    damigiana January 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm |

I tried having children because I knew I could give a child a less crappy childhood than I had myself by the simple means of leaving them alone. I also figured out I was probably sterile, as I’m pretty unfeminine (I’m shaped like a can, not like an hourglass, and have moustache, beard and chest hair).

I surprised myself and everyone by being absurdly fertile and liking my kids. Even more impressively, two (happy sex-replete wanted) pregnancies moved me from tepidly to foam-at-the-mouth pro-choice.

Thank you for writing such a beautiful article, and extra special hugs for stating your viewpoint without bashing those of us who (in my case, selfishly and thoughtlessly) decided to have kids.

3. oldlady
    oldlady January 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm |

Way past menopause and still concerned about abortion. Old women talk about this a lot–last night, dinner with friends–two 78s and an 83. We talked about the latest assaults on women’s rights to abortion. What we fought hard for years ago is being chiseled away, bit by bit. Chiseled is the operative word here.

Enforced pregnancy is more than colonization of women’s bodies; it is dehumanization of women: she has no will of her own; she is a machine to make babies.

We worry that the younger generation forgets. Your story gives me hope.

4. B
    B January 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm |

FYI, the stat says “1 in 4 by age 30, 3 in 10 by age 45″

1 in 4 = 250 out of 1000
    3 in 10 = 300 out of 1000,

this implies 50 out of 1000 must have gotten abortions between the ages of 30 and 45.

5. Echo Zen
    Echo Zen January 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm |

I love this article. In my experience, women tend to care more about abortion rights and access as they grow older, which jibes with the healthcare stats I’ve seen — they indicate women who obtain abortions are usually older and already have children. Anyone who thinks most patients who have abortions are teen girls is smoking a crack pipe.

Last year was a terrible year for reproductive rights, but a good one for advocacy. The youth generation was galvanised to fight back when the anti-rights faction in the U.S. stopped dressing up their attacks on women in the language of wanting to “protect” women from themselves, and made obvious their belief that anyone who tries to manage zir reproductive health is a promiscuous, irresponsible (?) slut. We should thank them for finally being honest about their hatred of women who dare to live independent, assertive lives.

6. Comrade Kevin
    Comrade Kevin January 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

At 31, I’m at the age that friends and acquaintances are just beginning to procreate. Most waited the whole of their twenties to start a career, get married, and only begin to think about something else afterwards. I don’t want kids. For one, there’s a very high likelihood that any child formed from my DNA is going to have bipolar disorder, or at least have depression and/or a severe anxiety disorder. Seeing someone you love suffer is awful.

In taking that risk, I’d be also conscious of the fact that he or she would need to visit medical specialists starting early in life. And even if I were to adopt, I’m simply not ready to be a father. Being a good parent, in my estimation, requires a person to center one’s entire life around children. Parenting never ceases for a second and should be top priority.

I was told earlier last year that I may well be sterile, this because of an endocrine/hormonal disorder. Naturally, nothing is ever for certain. I’ve known women who were told they couldn’t have a kid, stopped taking birth control as a result, and miraculously ended up pregnant. I think in particular that my own health limitations might prevent me from having the energy and the focus needed. How do you help raise a child when you barely have energy for yourself some days?

7. Sylvia D. Lucas
    Sylvia D. Lucas January 29, 2012 at 7:39 am |

I’ve never wanted children (the same way I’ve never wanted to be an accountant), and my husband had a vasectomy several years ago. About six months after his vasectomy, I was angry/excited about something that threatened abortion rights, and he said, “You can’t get pregnant. Why do you care so much?”

The fact is, I might be able to get pregnant – just not by him. But my answer was and is that it’s not about me. A right is a right, whatever the age, the type of person, or the reason.

8. Kathy
    Kathy January 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

I’m a single woman, nearing the end of her thirties who doesn’t plan on having any children. I also live in a pretty conservative, anti-choice state (I think NARAL gave us an “F”), so yeah, of course I still care about abortion rights. Thanks for righting this (and to Feministe for reposting it here — I’m always glad to see the writing of women over forty).

9. Echo Zen
    Echo Zen January 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm |

“You can’t get pregnant. Why do you care so much?” That’s as naive as asking heterosexual allies why they care about marriage equality. Most people with a thing called empathy (something missing from most sociopaths, such as anti-choicers) find it hard to stand aside and do nothing while extremists attempt to turn the people they care about into second-class citizens.

10. Daisy
    Daisy January 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm |

Great article. I’m in my 40’s and I only have one ovary. I have to admit that in the back of my mind I really don’t think I can get pregnant. But I menstruate like clockwork every 26 days, so of course, I can. I would terminate if it happened, but this was a timely reminder for me.

11. Vonnie
    Vonnie January 30, 2012 at 10:35 am |

I’m a boomer woman and care very much about legalized abortion. How dare these conservatives think they can decide what women can do with our bodies! It means so much more than pro-choice or pro-life. It’s called power over our own bodies. No politician or religious extremist should be choosing for us.

Sorry, I just get so riled about this subject.

Great article, Andrea. And wonderful comments. Just wanted you to know another woman cares. :)