Lauren founded this blog in 2001.

1. DoublyLinkedLists
    DoublyLinkedLists April 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm |

Whenever something is described to me as “queer friendly” I cringe. It feels like I’m supposed to be thankful simply that people won’t be openly homophobic.

“If a straight man makes a song about someone he’s attracted to, we know it sure as shit isn’t gonna be a song about one of his homeboys.”

This sure coulda been interrogated a little.

2. Lauren
    Lauren April 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm |

This sure coulda been interrogated a little.

Go for it.

Then you’ll be pleased to know it’s not just queer-friendly, but inclusive, per the hosts. Your takeaway on word choice is not indicative of the spirit of the show, which is extra positive and fun, but I’m especially not about to label the project something or other especially because of the tendency for white, academic-leaning feminists to want to place WOC projects into boxes we like. Please give it a listen.

3. DoublyLinkedLists
    DoublyLinkedLists April 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  4. Jill
    Jill April 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm | *

Just want to point out that Lenee is a former Femiste guest-blogger, and one of my personal favorite writers / tweeters / tumblrs. Glad to see her show getting more coverage.

5. Dopegirlfresh
    Dopegirlfresh April 3, 2012 at 11:11 pm |

Hey, @DoublyLinkedLists — please feel free to go to http://www.hiphopiforlovers.com and check out our show hosted by XD of The XD Experience. He’s gay. And I’m pansexual. So… I hope that covers any initial inquiries you may have about queer friendliness. I get that you cringe at the mere usage of the phrase, but we’re ACTUALLY queer friendly. Instead of, you know simply not homophobic.

@Jill — thanks! Maybe I’ll come back as a guest poster once I get my life in order? Will let you know.

6. Rhymes and Reasons
    Rhymes and Reasons April 4, 2012 at 6:41 am |

If you like hip-hop, you might like my blog, Rhymes and Reasons. It’s interviews with hip-hop heads who discuss their lives and the songs that matter to them. Some great stuff. Take a listen:

7. Alex S
    Alex S April 4, 2012 at 8:48 am |

Oh wow, I am really glad to see this posted here! Thanks Lauren, Lenée and Uche! Loved the interview and the site looks fantastic. Will be checking out the podcasts as soon as I get home.

8. Angie unduplicated
    Angie unduplicated April 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |

Thank you for your introduction to great new music and a new perspective on a genre I long dismissed as misogynist.

9. DJ DreWills