Is this feminist?

It’s true — being a perfect feminist is a full-time job. That in itself is EXTREMELY PROBLEMATIC.

About Jill

This entry was posted in Feminism and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Is this feminist?

1. ahmm says:

That tumbler literally sums up ALL of the criticism of the Girls tv show. Basically, tt’s not perfectly feminist so KILL IT WITH FIRE!

2. hmm says:

I saw that posted somewhere else a few days ago, its hilarious. Are they all written by one person? Or do they take submissions? I’m still unclear on how this Tumblr thing works.

3. Dane says:

Oh man I bet there are tumblr people busy being offended by that. Appropriate medium all the way.

4. areyouadog says:

re: ahmm–

I don’t think that’s all, or even much, of the critique of “Girls.” I think a lot of critics have problems with its racism. And its bland reinforcement of Boomer and Gen-X love-to-hate myths about young people. And its sadistic, faux-confessional humiliation of the upper-middle-class quite-privileged daughters of professionals by the upper-upper-class ultra-privileged daughters of celebrities. And its racism, again.

5. Nobody says:

I love the science one, if only because it sounds so depressingly similar to stuff I’ve actually heard.

6. ahmm says:

areyouadog

Yeah, a WOC here who notices that every other completely white show written by white men faces zero criticism. But the one show written by young women is completely torn apart. The whole Girls fiasco is just proof to me that society will always hold women to higher standards.

For e.g., I’m a HUGE fan of GoT, rape and incest included. I understand that there are some feminist concerns with it. But while there has been some feminist (and racial) critique of that show, there has only a tiny amount compared to the trashing of Girls. So while we excessively criticize Girls so that it fails, the next hundred shows are written by old white men like God intended! And then we complain that there are no shows about women. And the next 20 shows about women which would have been greenlighted, had this been a success will now never be made.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

7. Lauren says:

“Is this feminist?” is the most reductive and inane question a feminist can ask about anything. Stop it.

• Jill says:

Excuse me, but you telling me to “stop it” is a silencing tactic that undervalues the words and experiences of women. That is deeply problematic.

8. Echo Zen says:

“This woman is taking a delightful mid-day nap. IS THIS FEMINIST?

“No. It’s creepy to take pictures of people while they’re sleeping.”

I sincerely hope the only folks who disagree with that last sentence are “Twilight” fans.

9. Comrade PhysioProf says:

This blogge is transmitted on the military-industrial imperialist backbone of the Internet, direct descendent of the Arpanet. Problematic, and definitely not feminist. Until you publish this blogge on handmade 100 percent recycled paper, my conscience forbids me from reading.

10. Chataya says:

Feminists are permitted Diva Cups, used rags that are rewashed by hand, or just bleeding down their legs as we imagine our matriarchal ancestors did. PROBLEMATIC.

A true feminist simply knows the cure for Alzheimer’s disease, possibly because it’s yoga. PROBLEMATIC.

Oh god, laughing so hard right now.

Off topic, but I will throw my bloody tampon at the next person who tells me that yoga will fix my fibromyalgia.

11. shfree says:

Jill, I think you criticizing Lauren for what you see as silencing is you using your position as article poster to control the debate here, and that is in and of itself silencing to the voices of women, which isn’t feminist. So PROBLEMATIC.

12. Jill says:

And you challenging my authority does seem to reflect a patriachal hostility toward female power, which is decidedly PROBLEMATIC.

13. Jill says:

And I have a red box around my comment and a little star by my name, suckerrrrr.

14. Jill wins the internets…for today. But we’ll be back tomorrow, oh we will be back.

Making vague, unsupported threats towards an identified female as a supposed ally…PROBLEMATIC.

15. Lara Emily Foley says:

I’d say that I love you for this, but I would that that would risk invalidating your autonomy and safety given that you do not know me, and thus problematic.

So instead I shall say your usage of letters and words to form a couple of satirical sentences that perfectly echo the source material that inspired this post has instilled in me a great respect for your talents as a writer of both serious topics and those which are comedic in nature.

16. shfree says:

Except for the fact that I AM in fact a woman, so, by assuming that my questioning your authority stemmed from a patriarchal hostility toward female power you are then accusing me of being a Tool of the Patriarchy, which does nothing but further divide us as women and feminists, which is also PROBLEMATIC.

Also I fear not your lil’ red box and star.

17. Shoshie says:

This thread wins the internet.

18. EG says:

Shoshie, your perpetuation of a competitive, capitalist, masculinist paradigm is extremely PROBLEMATIC.

19. Caperton says:

By wasting nearly 20 comments on this tumblr and not a single comment about something else I think everyone should be talking about that I haven’t mentioned until just now, you’re silencing me by rejecting the intuition that has arisen in women as an adaptation to the demands of the oppressor and not reading my mind. This is shallow, deeply unserious, and PROBLEMATIC.

20. Oh god, Capterton, that is like every deleted Captain Awkward Dot Com comment ever. I <3 you so much.

21. Iris says:

Jill, pointing out that you get to have a red box around your comment and a star by your name just undoes all the inclusive work of feminism and feeds into the dominance by Social Darwinism paradigm. So problematic. *Sigh*

22. Soubrette says:

@Chataya

Oh man, do I understand. *hugs* I have to say, as a person with lupus who just got more visibly ill than ever before (major organ involvement and chemo), there IS an upside: people don’t come up to me and tell me bullshit like, “Oh, if only you did Yoga, your immune system would somehow magically stop assaulting your vital organs!”

Bloody tampons shall be thrown at all who suggest that yoga can somehow fix complex medical conditions.

23. bonn says:

Damn. I’ve been told the same thing wrt my colitis. Yoga isn’t magic. But some people think it is.

24. Soubrette says:

Totally! Glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t see any logical connection between doing a bunch of upward dogs and our white blood cells going insane. It just seems to me like the usual victim blaming, “Well, maybe you exercised more and weren’t so lazy, you wouldn’t be sick!”

People suck. And on topic, these diseases disproportionately effect women. Lupus, Firbomyalgia, Colitis – are these feminist? PROBLEMATIC.

25. Chataya says:

Hugs or shared knowing-nods all around, whichever you prefer! And a thousand angry glares and gnashed teeth at people who think that yoga/reiki/acupuncture/gluten-free/veg*n/homeopathy/woo-of-the-month can cure chronic illnesses.

26. Nahida says:

“Despair is potentially feminist.”

LMFAO!!!