Here I am; my guest blogging stint on Feministe begins. I feel incredibly humbled to have been invited into your vibrant community. The past three months have seen me preparing for your energetic discourse; I have been reading your posts and comments with fervor, keeping a dictionary and internet close by. To be frank, ya’ll intimidate the fuck out of me. Consider yourselves serious educators in modern gender politics. (I know you know that, “in defense of the sanctimonious women studies set” and all; for what it’s worth, allow me to validate that idea.) I am looking forward to this experience not only as an opportunity to write, but to learn. Please do not hesitate to school me in all things animal, vegetable, and mineral.
In general, I blog and write and talk about all sorts of things that aren’t necessarily “feminist,” but I hope to hold my own for the next two weeks. A warning: I’ve also been encouraged to write about whatever I want. So, prepare yourself to read/discuss Chick-fil-A (again), abortion…and dating! And embarrassing moments! And parenting! Or, like, whatever. I. want.
Seems like a good and traditional idea to tell you a little about myself. So…I moved to Los Angeles with my 3-year old daughter in 2006, in pursuit of some kind of creative dream that looked like acting-movies-writing-or-whatever, which is to say that I wasn’t really sure what I was doing. Honestly, I was running from a life that felt hard, towards an idea that felt like hope. (Does anyone else I see a lifetime movie in my future?!) If I had had known how difficult it would be, I probably wouldn’t have done it. That being said, I can confidently say that I am proud of the journey, and am happy where I am today as a mother and writer.
Considering that there are more important things to discuss—legitimate rape comes to mind—than “All About Eve,” I thought I would finish this off with a list of links for those of you who want to learn more about me, so the rest of you can go on with your badass selves!
- See The Magpie List for a project that has been unexpectedly life changing for me. (And by all means, submit a list; that’s how it works!)
- I write about “healthy eating for every body” at Clean Plates
- Every Monday night I head to Hollywood to co-host a show called Happy Hour Story Experiment; I plan to write a little about the experience here.
- Follow me @evesturges. The HuffPost Parents say I am funny, especially about #momlife! (WARNING: I tweet about all things, not just parenting, and it is most definitely where I am my most ridiculous, most R-rated, and possibly most offensive.)
- Occasionally I muse about my life with a more creative form of prose and illustration at Papercuts and Hummingbirds.
OK, that’s it for now. See you on the flip-side, starting later tonight or tomorrow morning! #bloglife