Rape: Just another “method of conception.”

In response to a question about the “legitimate rape” / Akin debacle, Paul Ryan says that life is life and the “method of conception” — in context, remember, rape — doesn’t change that. Which sounds an awful lot like downplaying a vicious crime, no? I suppose he is technically correct, in the same sense that punching someone in the face is also a “method of touching.”

GOP ladies, how’s the party strategy of focusing on hair and make-up re-touches as “women’s issues” working out for you?

About Jill

This entry was posted in Rape Culture, Reproductive Rights, Sexual Assault and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Rape: Just another “method of conception.”

1. Echo Zen says:

I love how Ryan and his ilk find ways to discuss rape and forced pregnancy (which is considered a “crime against humanity” by our international community) that completely excise women from the equation. An honest misogynist makes a crunchy snack for folks like Stewart and Colbert.

2. miga says:

[Mary Anne Carter] doesn’t remember that: ”I ignore a lot of stuff men say when it comes to women’s issues.”

Perhaps this is why she’s still voting Republican. *Rimshot*

• samanthab says:

I don’t think there’s much “perhaps” about it. She makes it pretty clear that’s the case. It’s heartbreaking. Stop sighing and stand up for yourself, lady!!

3. J says:

How can it be a “method of conception” when everyone knows that a fetus will not be conceived so long as the rape is “legitimate”?

4. Miss S says:

Wait, what? When I read this headline somewhere else, I thought it said “method of contraception.” Isn’t that what this guy was saying earlier, or am I confusing assholes?

So rape is now a method of contraception, but also a method of conception. But still not a crime. Lovely.

You know I read a comment here the other day, and someone said “The U.S was a great experiment, but now it’s time to end it” or something along those lines. That’s basically how I feel at this point.

5. Echo Zen says:

He definitely said “conception.” Ryan would never admit that any form of contraception is effective at pregnancy prevention (unless it’s abstinence). That would encourage women to turn into career-driven sluts.

6. matlun says:

At least he is very upfront with that there should be no rape exception. (That this is their position is not news, surely?)

This is hopefully positive in that it will decrease the number of votes they get in the end, but I have given up predicting what the US voters will do.

7. Colin Reid says:

There is at least some consistency in saying ‘life begins at conception, regardless of how the conception occurred’. There’s no point in arguing with absolute anti-abortionists on whether or not the woman ‘deserves it’, because in their view it doesn’t matter. By contrast the ‘abortion is OK only in cases of rape’ crowd are basically saying that the woman starts with rights over her uterus, but she forfeits them by not being ‘chaste’. I don’t know which position I find more ethically repugnant.

8. Marissa123 says:

More on hair and makeup touches as the “women’s issues” at the RNC: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/27/750841/woman-up-salon-convention/

I guess looking pretty is a woman’s greatest political contribution according to the GOP. Unsurprising considering all the other ways women’s bodies are expected by the party as a whole to be at men’s service.

9. Marissa123 says:

10. Marissa123 says:

Opps! Sorry about the double post.

11. Pingback: [quote] Rape: Just another “method of conception.” « slendermeans