Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Thomas MacAulay Millar
    Thomas MacAulay Millar September 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm |

I was a huge fan of Homicide: Life On The Streets. She was brilliant, just flat-out brilliant, for five seasons. I also loved The Fighter, which I was on the edge of my seat for anyway because I already connected with the story on several points. Leo is the kind of character actor that Hollywood respects, only when the actor is a man; the kind of actor that makes a supporting character shine. They need to write more supporting roles for Melissa Leo.

Kurt Sutter, please write a recurring role for Leo as one of Gemma’s friends from the old days.

2. Lindsay Beyerstein
    Lindsay Beyerstein September 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm |

Melissa Leo is absolutely brilliant on Treme. She fully inhabits the character of frazzled public interest lawyer Toni Burnett.

3. Iam138
    Iam138 September 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm |

I’ve never seen her in anything, as far as I can tell from her IMDB page (and she has tons of acting credits), but I really enjoyed her relating her on-set “boyfriend.” That’s pretty funny.

4. im
    im September 18, 2012 at 12:49 am |

Even today, in 2012, the guy is supposed to be in charge. I see it in every heterosexual relationship I know, the acquiescence of the female.

This is my fear. The taint of this hypocracy is my fear.

5. Sarah
    Sarah September 18, 2012 at 7:04 am |

Homicide was the best. I watched it with my parents at WAY too young an age. I think Kay gave me an unrealistic expectation of female TV characters. Aren’t they ALL supposed to be awesome, strong and powerful? What? TV isn’t like that? …aww.

6. szopen
    szopen September 18, 2012 at 7:42 am |

Hmm, male’s explanation is that females always want guys who are more smart, more strong, more confident that themselves – and as female becomes more self-sufficient, the pool of possible partners for her shrinks. I do not think males avoid strong woman. I rather think strong woman can’t find strong enough males to qualify.

7. E.
    E. September 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

Her spot on Louie made me incredibly uncomfortable.

8. Grace
    Grace September 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |

And she’s amazing on Treme! Her character’s arc last season was all about her relationship with her teenaged daughter, and it was phenomenal.