Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. JBL55
    JBL55 October 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm |

I don’t call these guys “pro-life” as “pro-forced-birth” is more to the point. After all, it’s not like they advocate against the death penalty or do anything remotely pro-already-born.

2. Shannon Drury
    Shannon Drury October 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm |

So smart I wish I’d written it. Thanks, Jill.

3. Rathi R
    Rathi R October 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm |

Rightly said. This argument of seeing women as human beings is something that I have to make again and again in my classroom, with my boyfriend, with my friends from the opposite sex, with even women. What we need to understand is that men and women become from human beings. But, although men are happy with being men, women are not even given the privilege to be seen as human beings. Being respected as a woman comes a long way in the long list of our demands. No wonder, feminism is still looked down upon. If I cannot even have the rights to my own body, my own femininity, I don’t think we are anywhere close to being seen as equal.

4. nemo52
    nemo52 October 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

And yet he is leading in the polls in his district. We need a massive, targeted GOTV aimed especially at women, particularly young women, who do not vote as regularly as their elders.

5. Jenn
    Jenn October 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm |

Aaaaaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite. Bravo!

6. Bagelsan
    Bagelsan October 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm |

Gee, I’m simply shocked that a anti-choicer is not sticking to his purported values, because he doesn’t actually have said values. I’m pro-choice as all fuck, but I’m much more pro-life than a Republican could dream of being. They are too full of bitterness and misery, and that’s antithetical to life.

7. igglanova
    igglanova October 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm |

This is one of the most revolting stories I’ve ever read.

That is all.

8. Marni
    Marni October 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm |

The mind boggles at your country’s polling stats. Our men are misogynists too, of course, but pro-choice could never win a poll anywhere in the country.

9. (BFing)Sarah
    (BFing)Sarah October 10, 2012 at 3:13 pm |

You are absolutely right, Jill. Abortion is not the point. Controlling women and enforcing “traditional” “values” is the point. So shameful.

10. DP
    DP October 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm |

Can we abort having sex with Republicans? We can start with the legislators and work our way down.

11. onetinythought
    onetinythought October 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

Well, I know that I’m not asuppos’ta make any ad hom attacks here, but could this asshole be any more of a hypocritical douche?

1. Datdamwuf
      Datdamwuf October 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm |

only if he threatened to shoot the fetus I suppose…

2. EG
      EG October 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm |

That’s not an ad hominem attack; that’s an entirely accurate observation.

12. Asia
    Asia October 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm |

Shouldn’t the medical board in his state have some sort of ethical rules. Sleeping and coercing a patient sound like a violation.

13. Partial Human
    Partial Human October 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm |

Typical vile conservative hypocrisy. He’s “pro-life” like his fellow Repukelican Charlie Fuqua is “pro-life”:

1. Radiant Sophia
      Radiant Sophia October 11, 2012 at 9:50 am |

This is one of those things that makes me ask “Is this real?”.

14. Links 10/12/12 | Mike the Mad Biologist
    Links 10/12/12 | Mike the Mad Biologist October 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm |

[…] of the donors Killed former SEAL used in stump speech thought Romney was ‘pathetic’: friend Wait you mean pro-life politicians think they can control women’s reproductive choices? There Is No Genuine Principled Opposition To Abortion The 71 Bus: Surviving an Alternate Dimension, […]

15. Sam
    Sam October 13, 2012 at 10:26 am |

“Dry-fire” is the proper term for firing a firearm without ammunition. It does not diminish the fact that he likely committed assault and/or brandishing. Why the scare quotes?