Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. tmc
    tmc October 22, 2012 at 10:47 am |

Is Womanfest welcoming to trans women?

1. Jill
      Jill October 22, 2012 at 10:52 am | *

I think we’re all on board that trans women are women, so yes.

1. Amelia the lurker
        Amelia the lurker October 22, 2012 at 11:58 am |

I think it was a reasonable question given the sad reality that a lot of women’s festivals (including the One I Need Not Name) are violently transphobic. Yes, we should probably assume that a guest blogger on Feministe wouldn’t be transphobic, but there have been snafus before. We don’t know this person, so I think it’s a fine thing to just double-check.

1. Jill
          Jill October 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm | *

Oh totally a reasonable question. Sorry, didn’t mean to sound snarky or rude (damn you, internet, and your lack of ability to accurately convey tone!). I was trying to shut down any future discussion along the lines of “Well it would be ok to exclude trans women because…” etc etc.

2. Amelia the lurker
          Amelia the lurker October 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm |

Yeah, I realized just after posting that you didn’t mean to sound snarky, just diplomatic (enthusiastically affirming the trans-inclusive nature of the event while also condemning transphobia in general). Damn my impulsive commenting.

2. tmc
        tmc October 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm |

Always good to hear.

2. Gwen
    Gwen October 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

I wish we could just have FeministFest instead. I spend enough time feeling frustrated and lamenting the existence of male-only gatherings (whether or not they’re explicitly billed as such) that I’d feel like an awful hypocrite if I excluded non-women from my gathering.

1. Jill
      Jill October 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm | *

Eh. I think there can be a lot of power in creating woman-only spaces.

3. FYouMudFlaps
    FYouMudFlaps October 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |

Yep I’m a male and am ok with stuff like this. Men who feel excluded from such things, well, welcome to how women feel everywhere else.

1. PM
      PM October 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

Men are responsible for creating mens’ groups and events. I’d consider going to one, but there’s always you-know-who to hijack any discussion of gender.

Anyway, Womanfest sounds really awesome!

4. doberman
    doberman October 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm |

I’m a little uncomfortable with this deliberate exclusion of men. Although I understand the value in women having their own space when they are excluded from others, I feel that this sort of thing contributes to a big gender divide.

It’s like that film from the 80s about the women from the south of the USA. They have good relationships with each other which helps them to be strong, but if you look at the inter-gender relationships in the film, they are very poor. It’s not that there’s misandry or misogyny, but that just don’t identify with each other. Now part of that would be because of gender, but also part of it is arguably because the men and women willingly segregate themselves…

1. TomSims
      TomSims October 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm |

“because the men and women willingly segregate themselves”

You’re spot on.

2. Jadey
      Jadey October 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm |

Or men and women have been socialized to think of themselves as being different as well as are generally treated differently?

Trust me, women aren’t going to suddenly forget how to empathize with men just because they hang out with some ladies every once in a while. You can just concern-troll yourself back into your cave.

1. EG
        EG October 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm |

But Jadey! If women spend time with other women unsupervised by men, what’s to stop us from thinking we matter as much as they do?

1. Jadey
          Jadey October 23, 2012 at 9:00 pm |

Gasp, you’re right! What was I thinking?

Oh shoot, I’ll bet that’s it – I was thinking again. Too bad, I was certain my lady-hormones had already performed a full frontal lobotomy on me. They must have missed a bit.

2. TomSims
        TomSims October 30, 2012 at 9:06 am |

“Seriously, women-only spaces doesn’t mean “never ever talking to or socializing with men”. It usually means “taking a small break from a life otherwise completely dominated by men and their interests”.

I agree and never stated otherwise. I think it’s normal and healthy for women to have their own space. I support that idea 100%.

3. Li
      Li October 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm |

…did you just repurpose Steel Magnolias into an argument against autonomous spaces?

1. LotusBecca
        LotusBecca October 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm |

I know, right? Wow. I’m a little in awe actually.

I think we should all start a pool as to how long doberman will continue slowplayed, low-level, war-of-attrition-style trolling before he finally gets himself banned for something. I’m gonna go with six weeks.

5. Athenia
    Athenia October 23, 2012 at 8:43 am |

My mom is going through a rough patch right now and she’s recalling her time being a SAHM—she said she was incredibly lonely. In my case, even though I’m not a SAHM–a single working lady–I still feel lonely too. Hanging out my bf’s friends just isn’t the same. So, I think this is a great idea!