Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Do your thing.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Anna says:

Did you know that 3 out of 4 females and half of males with chlamydia have no symptoms whatsoever? STDs are common—and so is not having symptoms!

Read the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona blog to get the scoop on STD symptoms—what to look out for, how likely you are to be asymptomatic, and how to protect yourself.

2. Leopard says:

This week, I write about the representation of women in the workplace, and why some of society’s values need to change.

3. A bunch of science bloggers are entering the home stretch of our annual drive with DonorsChoose.org to fund projects for public school classrooms. In light of the impact of Hurricane Sandy on the East Coast, some of us have added projects in the affected areas to our challenges.

4. Attackfish says:

I wrote “A Little Late for Spirit Day: Bully Culture” about some of the failings I’ve seen in society in dealing with bullies and bullying, especially in victim blaming and making it “somebody else’s problem”. It’s crossposted both to my Dreamwidth account and myLivejournal account

Also, this isn’t self promotion, but for all the people here in fandom, fandomaid on livejournal is running a charity auction to benefit the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Check it out.

5. Nancy Green says:

Real-Time Homophobia Tracking
    Counting the relentless Twitter gay-baiting.
    Revenge Voting
    For Sandra Fluke, for ‘legitimate rape’, for the 47%– now is the time to make them pay.

6. Suzanne F. says:

I’ve had a couple arguments with friends over whether or not it is “useful” to call out Mitt Romney’s campaign for racism, and I ended up writing a long rant on why YES, IT IS USEFUL TO CALL MITT ROMNEY OUT.

Hopefully this will be the last post I ever publish on Mitt Romney, because he will LOSE the election and I will never ever ever have to think about him again.

7. JetGirl says:

Math + sciatica + sinus pain = Urrgh, no thanks:
    Pure math, real math, logarithms, antiderivatives:

8. Clarissa says:

Breakdown of teaching practices by gender reveals curious things: http://clarissasblog.com/2012/11/04/teaching-practices-by-gender/

“Do you want to be treated like men?” My response to a misogynist (as well as homophobic and transphobic) rant: http://clarissasblog.com/2012/11/02/do-you-want-to-be-treated-like-men/

Why I refuse to listen to those who tell me that we shouldn’t see reproductive rights as the main issue in this election cycle: http://clarissasblog.com/2012/10/29/women-and-cockroaches/

9. Kathy says:

I wrote a brief review of Joan Walsh’s new book, and in the spirit of NaNoWriMo, a short piece on “writing the other,” and the only tip I have to offer those spending the month of November writing a novel.

10. I took a look at Swiffer’s new “Man Up, Clean Up” campaign which is tapping into the market of men who clean house but also making some commentary about gender disparity in household duties.

I also wrote a post about my experience with a zombie-themed obstacle 5k. I didn’t “survive,” but I survived!

11. My link roundup for the week: “Good Reading This Week“.

Quotes about missing someone: “Wise Words on Missing Someone“.

My next post in my series on the Oscar Best Picture winners: “Feminism in Film: Crash“.

12. Scopophilia says:

I reviewed Todd Solondz’s latest film ‘Dark Horse:’ http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/34695041098/dark-horse-2012

and selected 5 interesting links of the week: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/34990089004/the-weekend-5

we also launched a kickstarter for a film about Israelis in Berlin that Im producing, please pledge and/or spread the word! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bde-films/aliyah-le-berlin

13. I wrote on misogyny as part of campus culture, and a new research project into it.

14. In a followup to last week’s post on the story of Thecla, I wrote about Rape Culture and the Construction of Virgin Saints.

And a couple of contributions to the societal conversation about marriage equality, as election day approaches:

Things to think about as you prepare to vote on gay marriage

Why Christians might support marriage equality

15. Heather says:

Is being with a married man a feminist issue? Trigger Warning these posts are very personal and I usually don’t post anything personal, but its been nagging at me recently.

16. Ashley says:

I have recently posted about Swiffer’s “Man Up, Clean Up” Campaign, love it.

About howHe’s Just Not That Into You

The Halloween Rule which is my take on slutty Halloween costumes.

17. Emma says:

I made (or rather, adapted) this a while ago, but it became (sort of) relevant again with Todd Akin’s weird ad featuring a rape survivor. Since I can’t just insert the picture, here is a link to where I posted it on my blog.

(It’s President Madagascar upon learning that there has been a legitimate rape.)

• eteokretan says:

Weird. She says she’s had an abortion; she says she’s been raped. But she doesn’t say that the rape was the cause of the pregnancy, though she seems to be trying to connect them. I’ve seen her in an ad for Akin in the past, where she talks about the abortion and regretting it–with no talk of the rape whatsoever.

18. hld6 says:

I finished up my series on watching horror movies as a feminist spectator: Part Two, It’s Not Just About Vampires and Part Three, Worlds Without Patriarchy.

19. Damiane says:

This week I reviewed The Rook, which pulls off the amazing task of telling a story about a woman in a magical bureaucracy and making it absolutely impossible for me to put it down.

20. Aydan says:

I reflected on Scarleteen’s definitions of the sexual response, and why they’re helpful to me as an asexual.

21. Larkin says:

I wrote a brief about a new study exploring the relationship between teen smart phone use and sexual activity on my personal blog, and on my fellowship site I wrote about the criminalization of HIV and how it impacts public health efforts. From two weeks ago, I wasn’t able to shameless self-promote, but Feministe readers may be interested in a piece I wrote about comprehensive sex ed as well. Hope everyone impacted by Sandy is doing ok.

22. Betty Fokker says:

Another young girl committed suicide because of slut shaming. The patriarchy sucks.

23. New this week: “The Coveted Twice-Cooked Endorsement.” In which I tepidly but emphatically endorse Barack Obama for a second term. And in which I exhort my readers to vote on Tuesday. Because it’s the patriotic thing to do.

• DonnaL says:

It’s a great study; thank you. But in order to be accurate, I wish people would remember that “LGBT” is not an interchangeable synonym for “gay and lesbian” — which is what this study was about. Nobody does studies about trans parents.

• DonnaL says:

Every one of my comments so far this evening has gone into moderation, so this is just a test.

• Aoife says:

This, this, this. I wish people would just say ‘same-sex parents’ when that’s what they mean.

• Rhoanna says:

Well, it was actually about same-sex parents. Which isn’t the same as gay or lesbian, either. But I hear you about the LGBT acronym, and the lack of studies about trans parents.

24. Kat says:

I discussed the lack of women in academia, and some of the research that has been done on the lack of women in STEM fields.

25. Anjasa says:

Testing? My comments aren’t going through and I’m not sure why?

• Anjasa says:

Alright, something in my newest blog post title is flagging the censors, so there was a new post at Femmedia!

• Aoife says:

Don’t worry about that- posts with loads of links often end up in the mod queue for a while. My shameless self-promotion always ends up there but they pop ’em up as soon as they get the chance :)

• Anjasa says:

It was just the one post, but I think it was the title triggering it.

I had the issue before. I can’t remember what word I finally figured out was doing it, but it was just gone. I couldn’t even see it as awaiting moderation, which was the strange bit.

26. Aoife says:

Today, I wrote an open letter to Americans thinking of voting third party, from an Irish feminist atheist leftie queer.

Earlier this week:

Hey, Ireland! Let’s talk about racism. Here. NOW. TW for hella racism for that one. I call out this place on, well, racism.

Sex work, Exploitation, and Slavery, and asking why on earth we insist on conflating the three?

The Introverted Polyamorist. No, it’s not a contradiction in terms.

Introversion, Social Awkwardness and Activism. Pointing out the differences between the first two, and asking questions about how to use introverted traits as activists.

Oh! And finally! Consider the Tea Cosy just got its very own Facebook page! Do pop over, say hello, and maybe give us a ‘like’ if you fancy.

27. Susan says:

It’s been done a few times, but after my most recent break-up I was inspired to write about my take on “nice guys.”

28. Tori says:

Why Are You Taking That? — When other people try to manage my health.

The Chicken that Saved My Marriage — Or, “Why I’m Keeping My Last Name.” Or, “That Time My Partner and I Thought It Would Be Fun to Cater Our Own Wedding and How That Turned Out.” Complete with the actual chicken recipe.

And a stress relief yoga practice because, you know, sometimes I get brilliant ideas that require a metric buttload of planning.

29. Véronique says:

Only one post in Fromage this week:

In Identity, maybe this woman finally knows who she is after all these years.

30. G.D. says:

I wondered why Romney’s courtship of white voters — and his nearly all-white coalition — is not “identity politics.” (And almost on cue, Politico essentially says that if Obama wins, he will have won women, blacks, Latinos, and highly educated urban whites, but he won’t have a mandate because he didn’t win white guys. )

31. tricia says:

I’d been keeping an eye on the films shown at my daughter’s after school film club and decided to contact the school to ask if they could show some girl friendly films.

32. kittenofthebaskervilles says:

This week on the Secret Histories Project: meet Mary Seacole, indescribably badass Jamaican-British nurse in the Crimean War, and Vincent Lingiari, ‘father of land rights’ for Indigenous Australians.

33. Marsha says:

Why we need humane education: inappropriate Halloween costume round-up: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-we-need-humane-education.html

Zoe Weil portrait unveiled as newest American Who Tells the Truth: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/artist-robert-shetterly-unveils-newest.html

34. Jo says:

I wrote “Boxes and Boxes: why bother with orientation at all?” which explains some of the reasoning for creating boxes and categories when other ones won’t fit, and how labels are about reclaiming power over your own identity.