Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Marni
    Marni November 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm |

Poor Janet. I quite like pitbulls, but nothing will ever replace my best friend Tasman, the border collie. One day I may have to leave him again (he is not actually my dog, even if I walk him 3 hours a day) and I don’t know how I will manage it, because he needs his walks. But you’re wrong about vanity. Tasman is hilariously vain, the way he poses with his stunning fluffy tail high in the air, one front paw carefully placed in ballet position #1 before the other.

2. TrishB
    TrishB November 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm |

That’s a beautiful piece. My pup has been leaving me for almost three years now, so she gets all the extras that I have.

3. auditorydamage
    auditorydamage November 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm |

I read that with our younger girl curled up against me. My partner’s friend had to say goodbye to her fluffy sweetheart this morning – lymphoma. I’m a bit teary-eyed over here.

1. Alcharisi
      Alcharisi November 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

Oh, no. That’s what my 16 year old kitty probably has. I’ve been watching her for the past week, trying to figure out when it’s time to call the vet. (In the meantime, of course, I am spoiling her rotten. Doesn’t hurt that this is the one time of year there are likely to be turkey livers in our mostly vegetarian household.)

4. LM
    LM November 21, 2012 at 11:26 pm |

All that she said and then some. I couldn’t tell you date and year of the deaths of any relatives. My dog; oh that burned. I mean physically vurned. And ached. And has somewhat dulled after many months, until I accidentally call him inside along with his remaining pack-mates because it’s still second nature. Then it’s all back. I cried during the freaking PREVIEW for Frankenweenie because if it were possible, I’d do the same damn thing.

1. Partial Human
      Partial Human November 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm |

This. No human death has ever affected me in. the way my dog’s death death. No human death ever totally eviscerated me, made me feel like my skin had been flayed off, made me howl uncontrollably at the slightest memory.

It’s ten years on and I still see her from the corner of my eye, or hear her tail thumping against things. I still love her, and grieve her like no other. Dogs are the only beings who never inflict harm, gossip, lie, betray, steal (other than food or socks!), or bully. They are four-legged love.

5. xxodettexx
    xxodettexx November 22, 2012 at 5:38 am |

the whole thing is beautiful and reminded me of when i said goodbye to my fur-son. he had stomach and liver cancer but i was with him almost every second of the last 3 months of his life. i was even allowed to bring him to work by my wonderfully empathetic bosses.

6. khw
    khw November 22, 2012 at 9:07 am |

I lost my Old Girl to cancer a couple of years ago. She’d been abused by some (fill in space with the curse words of your choice) and had been living on the street.

As a boxer, she should have been around 30 kilos and weighed only 14, her back leg was so rotten that the vet wanted to cut it off immediately (and didn’t simply due to fact that Milagros was so underweight she wouldn’t have survived). She came through it all; Painful cleaning of wounds and adapting to strangers.

She was a fiercely loyal dog who was wonderfully sweet to any and all who visited us. Her happiness taught me how to let many things go.

7. Circe
    Circe November 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

Beautiful. So very moving. Nonhuman animal companions help us to be better human animals.