This is Justice Sotomayor speaking earnestly with a muppet.

Sometimes the world makes you want to crack walnuts with your bare hands. And then sometimes Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor earnestly interacts with a bright pink muppet, ultimately inspiring her to a career in law.

SONIA SOTOMAYOR. Hi. I’m Sonia Sotomayor.

ABBY CADABBY. And I’m Abby Cadabby.

SOTOMAYOR. And we’re here to tell you all about the word “career.”

ABBY. Yeah! Caaah-reer!

SOTOMAYOR. A career is a job that you train for and prepare for and plan on doing for a long time.

ABBY. Ooh, I know a career that I want to have!

SOTOMAYOR. What’s that?

ABBY. I want a career as a princess. Caaah-reer! [She waves her wand and turns into a princess.] Ta-da!

SOTOMAYOR. Abby, pretending to be a princess is fun, but it is definitely not a career.

ABBY. It’s not?

SOTOMAYOR. No. Remember, a career is a job that you train and prepare for, and that you plan to do for a long time.

ABBY. You’re right. I guess a princess isn’t really a job.

SOTOMAYOR. No, it’s not.

AC. Then what kind of career can a girl like me have?

SOTOMAYOR. Well, you can go to school and train to be a teacher, a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer, and even a scientist.

ABBY. Wow. Do you have a career?

SOTOMAYOR. Yes, I do. I am a United States Supreme Court Justice. I went to school and studied law and then became a judge.

ABBY. Wow! Ooh, that sounds important.

ABBY. Okay, then I know what career that I want to have!

SOTOMAYOR. What’s that?

ABBY. Caaah-reer! [She waves her wand and turns into a judge.] Order in the court!

SOTOMAYOR. Oh, Abby, I think you’ll make a great, great judge.

ABBY. Oh, thank you!

[h/t The Writeous Babe]

15 comments for “This is Justice Sotomayor speaking earnestly with a muppet.

1. Ross Thompson
    December 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

Of course, as Colbert pointed out, eight American women have become princesses, whereas only four have become Supreme Court Justices.

2. Lolagirl
    December 13, 2012 at 11:06 am

My 7 year olds were utterly fascinated by the fact that a Supreme Court Justice was on Sesame Street. Sotomayer also did a great segment were she taught about the concept of justice in a way that is easy for kids to understand here:

• konkonsn
      December 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I’m fascinated by it.

• Past my expiration date
      December 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Your link went over big with my under-ten people, Lolagirl.

3. December 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

I love this so so so so much.

4. William
    December 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m not a fan of Sotomayor’s politics, but this is just all kinds of awesome. I also couldn’t be more behind the message here. Good for her!

• Pseudonym
      December 14, 2012 at 2:40 am

What’s your complaint?

5. moviemaedchen
    December 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Ok, that made my day.

6. Lolagirl
    December 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I think the Sesame Street segments with Justice Sotomayer also illustrate (once again) how their children’s progamming remains as vital and important as it did when they started over 40 years ago. There is just so much crap tv out there these days targeted at little kids, and yet PBS is still setting the gold standard when it comes to high quality educational programming for children.

• William
      December 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Its worth noting that Sesame Street would survive even a total defunding of PBS because its really profitable and somewhat privately funded. The real danger of PBS losing funding isn’t the loss of Sesame Street but never having the next Mr. Rogers or Electric Company. A big flagship like Sesame Street will always be safe, what we have to lose is the great programming that inevitably pops up to fill the space around the flagship.

7. December 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I would like to point out that “princess” used to be a career that a girl would spend her whole life training for, though it was usually a matter of being born into the position.

8. Tamara
    December 13, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I just wanted to give a shout-out to the excellent where I first saw this. Margot Magowan there is doing great work on children’s media.

9. Amelia the lurker
    December 14, 2012 at 1:22 am

I love this! It’s gonna step on some toes, though. “Oh noes, we’re discouraging girls from being princesses!” “She didn’t list ‘mom’ as a career!” and so on and so forth.

10. Pseudonym
    December 14, 2012 at 2:49 am

I’d bet Abby would make a better Supreme Court justice than certain other sitting members of the court. For example, she might understand the differences between murder and homosexuality and why there isn’t a slippery slope between them. Of course as a “wise puppet” she might use “empathy” in her judgments instead of basing her reasoning on the prejudices of 18th century white male property owners. Plus there’s bound to be speculation about her personal life, given that she’s never married and rumors suggest that she enjoys having a hand shoved up her ass.

11. December 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

This video is inspirational for some adults, too. Like me.