Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. Denise Winters
    Denise Winters December 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm |

Great advice , and this from someone who doesn’t celebrate the holiday, has a (homophobic and fat-shaming) family that does, and will be eating home-made Indian food and enjoying a movie.

2. Marni
    Marni December 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm |

Yeah, good advice, except for the throwing stuff off a bridge part. Of course I spent Xmas day entirely alone, so my opinion might not hold much weight.

1. PeggyLuWho
      PeggyLuWho December 26, 2012 at 2:39 am |

I’m so jelly

2. Chuchundra
      Chuchundra December 26, 2012 at 10:12 am |

Yeah, between eBay, Craigslist, Freecycle and your various charity thrift stores, there’s almost certainly somewhere that your craptastic gift could find a home.

1. PeggyLuWho
        PeggyLuWho December 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm |

I think that might have been a reference to a scene in “Dead Poets Society.” Neil (Robert Sean Leonard) throws Todd’s (Ethan Hawke) birthday gift off a roof or bridge, because it’s the same exact thing that his neglectful parents had bought him the year before.

3. Wild Card Wednesday: Holiday Advice | On The Other Hand

[…] – A Bit of Holiday Advice. […]

4. Twas the night after Christmas …
    Twas the night after Christmas … December 26, 2012 at 11:25 am |

[…] intelligence network like that?”“Santa Claus Is a Black Man.” 1973. 2012.“A bit of holiday advice“ /* /* Filed Under: Uncategorized 1 Comment « Merry Christmas to people I’ve […]

5. Andie
    Andie December 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm |

If you’re physically able to, taking a walk is a good way to get a break from too much pandemonium. Especially after dinner, you can make the “ugh, so full, going to take a walk to help digest some of this food” excuse. Grab one or two family members you do like, if you need company.

Also, the best way to make sure someone who doesn’t like the holidays has a nice time is to not force it on them. Not everyone likes the holidays and not everyone has to.

And if someone says they don’t want or need a gift, it is perfectly acceptable to take them at their word and not get them a gift.

6. Juliana Britto
    Juliana Britto December 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm |

What a great list. Though the holidays are pretty easy for me, I feel great about myself after reading this!

7. Angie unduplicated
    Angie unduplicated December 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm |

Denise, would I be welcome if I bring an Indian dish and homemade sambal?
    Trent Hamm (The Simple Dollar) has my family, apparently. He states that people come for the food and stay for the fights. This is why so many religions consider solitude a spiritual practice.

8. FYouMudFlaps
    FYouMudFlaps December 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

I do like the holidays, but still find it awesome how every Asian food place by me was open. After a while on Christmas Day I got bored at home, so I went to get some rice.