Shameless Self-Promotion Monday

Sorry this is late! Self-promote away.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Monday

1. Cosima says:

I’m starting an online magazine for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse. It is survivor-based and ran, please review and leave feedback: If you are a survivor and have a story to share, please email me at: The first full issue will be available January 21, 2013.

2. bleh says:

I’ve begun a series on how to successfully live child-free when surrounded by repro-normativity. First installment here href=””>

• That Girl says:

I read your post (my browser wouldnt let me comment there) but I’m not really sure what you’re saying. I am a parent and I would sympathize with anyone taking care of any dependent person, and I think most parents know it’s harder to take care of a person who is not as cuddle-able as a baby (for instance a teenager). I would hope we could all find common ground of things to complain about, since complaining is one of the ways we communicate and commiserate. Parents would be the last people to be horrified by wanting the smell and pleasure but not the kids – again, tennagers LOL. I am well aware that I chose to have my children – I have been criticised for stating I wish I had had an abortion rather than my second child, but I recognize the choice (and the consequence) are all mine. I’m just not sure what you are saying in your post.

3. Literata says:

When I looked at the details of the recent legal judgment that an employer could fire an employee for being attractive, I found that it sounded like there was actually harassment (by the employer) involved.

I argued that the NRA’s push for more guns is an attempt to make PTSD the American way of life.

And I discussed when love spells become rape.

• TomSims says:

I just read your “when love spells become rape” and have a question.

Would that make all players/womanizers rapists?

4. bleh says:

Trying that link again #sigh

5. Tori says:

Not Playing [note for eating patterns, diet talk] — I went to yoga class; the instructor offered us candy after. One person wanted to engage me in communal fat talk.

Pizza — On how the corner pizza place was part of my home growing up. And how that’s changed in the years since I’ve left.

I also reacted to Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Cheney Vase with some brief thoughts about domestic abuse, disablism, and gaslighting.

Finally, my blog year in review with my favorite of my own 2012 posts — and an invitation for readers here to shamelessly self-promote there as well.

6. Nandita says:

Posts written (after the recent gang rape in Delhi) on VAW and the law in India:

1. On VAW, Rape, Reform, and Rhetoric, a blog post from a personal / legal perspective

2. On Education, Custom and VAW, a compilation of tweets

3. Dealing with Sexual Violence: A Primarily Legal Perspective, a compilation of tweets on possible amendments to the law

7. Nandita says:

Also, I’ve put together a representative compilation of links to articles on VAW in India, tweets on part of the RS discussion, & some personal opinions (mainly in the wake of the #DelhiGangRape). It’s been loosely categorised into sections on the law, the way forward, VAW, politicians’ statements, and RS discussion.

The compilation is available here at Storify.

8. Kathy says:

This week I wrote a brief response to Lionel Shriver piece on the scapegoating of Nancy Lanza, and talked about some upcoming writing projects.

9. Alexandra says:

I’d like to take the opportunity to promote my society 6 store and my etsy one.

10. I completed a photographic portrait series in 2012 titled ‘In Real Life‘.

The series was a collection of portraits of women, all shot in Vancouver, Canada. Each woman was photographed twice: once in her ‘home clothes’ and again in an outfit she felt most attractive in in social situations. The result was an interesting insight into how women think they should present themselves to the outside world. It was also an insight into the expectations women feel from the media to look beautiful.

This project was presented as a solo exhibition in Victoria, Canada, as a group show in Times Square, New York and has also been published by The Times Colonist Newspaper, Victoria as well as Hush Magazine.

I hope to continue this project in 2013 and publish a photo-book. If you are in the Vancouver/Victoria/Seattle area and wish to be involved in this project please contact me via my website.

Christine Redmond

11. Elizabeth says:

This week at re:Cycling, Chris wrote about making the important connections between menstrual cycle research and reproductive justice work; I wrote about why people should stop comparing poop to menstruation (they really are NOT at all similar); we featured a guest post from Lauren Rosewarne about sexual desire during menstruation; plus our usual mix of weekend links.

On our Facebook page, we’ve been doing a “best of 2012” retrospective over the last week or so. Check it out — and “like” us, if you’re on Fb!

12. Bunny says:

I’m asking for advice to help me maybe set up a HAES, feminist forum focused on sharing exercise and recipes.

13. Ashley says:

I recently wrote about my thoughts on the Sandy Hook shooting. As a teacher, it hit me hard. Sandy Hook Shooting: They’re Just Babies

14. Ashley says:

Also! Submissions are still open until January 6 for our Feminist Odyssey Blog Carnival on Women in Literature. More information here – submit your posts today!

15. This week I wrote about Truth, Deception, and Abortion.

December 28th was the Feast of the Holy Innocents, or more relevantly, the Feast of the Holy Victims of Collateral Damage.

16. Aydan says:

I wrote an entry for the Carnival of Aces (the theme this month is dating and significant others).

17. Damiane says:

This week I finally started polishing old reviews to put on Amazon and Goodreads. The first two on deck are Broken Blade (fun assassin redemption fantasy) and Dragon Keeper. The second was….promising, but also kind of uncomfortable to read in places because of the emotional abuse involved. This review was when I decided that I wanted to steer the blog in a different direction by talking about that sort of thing.

18. Nancy Green says:

Praying to Kali- Women Rage in India and the World Every society has crime, the outrage is rape-culture. Indian women say, ‘No More’.

Jean Harris Should Not Have Brought a Gun Shooting is no way to resolve a domestic dispute.

Smart Girls Rule in the 21st
    Geek girls in Kenya connecting to the World Wide Web and creating Afro-tech apps– love the wall of post-it notes.

19. Sarah Harper says:

So last week Starbucks forced its DC area employees to promote an idiotic political issue campaign by writing a vague handwritten message on every coffee cup served. This is part of a larger trend–one you should be pissed off about.

Also, a quick look back at Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

20. Susan says:

About the time I was in a chick band

21. Elizabeth says:

I spent 2012 reading (almost) only books by women. Then I blogged about it here and here.

In the posts I articulate the idea of “Feminist Compromise”: when you start seeing the world through the feminist lens, you find it tough to enjoy just about any book, film, or TV show. So you have to compromise, ignoring this or that about representations of women. By systematically avoiding male authors this year, I began to realize the extent of Feminist Compromise in my life.

I also reviewed Zadie Smith’s NW. I loved it.

22. Anna says:

A gentle reminder that you can always walk into a Planned Parenthood (during hours of operation, anyway) and pick up some condoms and/or emergency contraception. Most health centers should have dental dams and female condoms as well.

23. Ryan says:

I wrote my first annual “state of the union” and complained about feminism (which I still love!).

24. Felicity says:

I have a petition against the rampant use of rape jokes on Family Guy and Seth MacFarlane’s shows:

When I get more signatures, I’m going to organize a day to mass tweet MacFarlane and his shows’ voice actors Mila Kunis (who is creating a “feminist” show) and Ariana Huffington (of the Huffington Post)

25. Kelsey says:

I’m freshly graduated and jumping on the blog bandwagon! A lot of my posts are going to be New Orleans specific, but a lot of them will be more generally accessible as well- and most will have a feminist twist!

26. Miriam says:

I wrote “Writing A Better Love Story: On Pop Culture That Romanticizes Unhealthy Relationships” and “How It Feels To Shed Your Skin,” which was about shifting identities as a young person.

Also, I wrote a reflection on what it’s like to experience Christmas as a total outsider.

27. The Kittehs' Unpaid Help says:

I have finally posted Christmas 2012, parts one and two on my blog. Snowfights, cats, dogs, family, roast goose and my gorgeous king. :)

28. At Yes Means Yes Blog, the last post of the year, Little Head. Men tell boys not to think with the little head, because of course it is possible not to.Yet our culture keeps insisting otherwise.

Happy New Year.

29. VĂ©ronique says:

Fromage joining late self-promotion even later!

In Word of the year, I’m reminded of what an amazing year 2012 was for friendship.

In Christmas skills, I resolve to try to “do” Christmas better next year.

What did you expect? is a post probably mostly for Canadians about how the actions of the current Conservative federal government were predictable (and could have been prevented) and in support of Idle No More.

And in 2013th year of the common era, I look forward to making 2013 even better!

30. goldymarx says:

Your readers might be interested in my feminist blog @

Happy New Year