Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. moviemaedchen
    moviemaedchen January 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

This. What I find equally tiring is the need to describe the hair/clothes/attractiveness of any woman being discussed in any article, in any context, within the first two paragraphs. Whereas I rarely see that with articles about men. If any explanation of who the man is is needed, it tends to be about his works/occupation/noted professional relationships. Whereas women are often defined by their physical characteristics and familial relationships. Arg.

1. karak
      karak January 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm |

I feel this acutely when it comes to Michelle Obama. The news worked itself into a tizzy over her hair and clothes, but not her husband’s.

The interesting, and slightly shameful, part of this to me is when I saw photos of the Inauguration, my very first thought was, “Michelle Obama did something with her hair!” Not anything political, not anything significant, I zeroed in on that hair.

1. amblingalong
        amblingalong January 25, 2013 at 8:21 am |

So I totally agree with the broader point, but this seems like a weird example, because the position of First Lady and President are so clearly different. The First Lady is, among other things, a style icon, and (I think) in a very conscious way; the President decides if we start a thermonuclear war.

I don’t know, maybe this is just as bad as all the other examples, but it strikes me as less egregious. When we have a female President, I look forward to hearing a lot about the First Gentleman’s suits (I can always use more suit tips).

2. Guls
      Guls January 24, 2013 at 5:49 pm |

This grates on me also – a music magazine I subscribe to, when reporting on female artists, nearly ALWAYS includes remarks about their looks, dress, attractiveness etc; whereas with male artists it totally focuses on their musical abilities. In the latest issue the results of last year’s readers poll include an entirely female ‘Heartthrob’ category, though no similar male category. Quite apart from being sexist and patronising, it’s not what I buy a music magazine for: clue, MUSIC magazine.

1. Computer Soldier Porygon
        Computer Soldier Porygon January 24, 2013 at 11:56 pm |

Did you see The Stranger’s ‘Men who Rock’ issue? It was pretty awesome.

2. catfood
    catfood January 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm |

This morning’s NPR story on yesterday’s Senate hearings made sure to talk about Hilary Clinton’s “emotional” response to some stupid-ass questions from Republicans. Ya know?

3. Colin
    Colin January 25, 2013 at 2:25 am |

I guess if Benjamin Millepied was a woman, the article would look more like this: