Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. A big week at Nursing Clio!

-An Age of Innocence: Awkward Adults and Gendered Children

-“Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall”: The Enduring Legacy of Leftist Social Movements

-Blog for Choice 2013: Roe at 40 and the Rebranding of Planned Parenthood

-Night Nurse Nursing

Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook!

2. Gretchen says:

Stuff I wrote this week:

Aping morality: non-human (secular) humanists?: On Frans deWaal’s upcoming book The Bonobo and the Atheist, and what I’m afraid it will say

Failing to please: On women who do

No special snowflakes: On Oprah’s just world bias

How to be a moralizing blowhard: On Cal Thomas, being one

Women who reject their own freedom: Self-explanatory

3. Marsha says:

The “truth” about MLK, Jr.: Why we must teach our children to think critically: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-truth-about-mlk-jr-why-we-must.html

Increasing our compassion capacity: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/increasing-our-compassion-capacity.html

Are you making these 10 mistakes in trying to change someone’s behavior?: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/humane-educators-toolbox-top-10.html

We must teach ourselves and our children to believe and never give up: http://humaneconnectionblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/believe-and-never-give-up.html

4. Tracking Homophobic Speech on Twitter : Looking at a site which was designed to track homophobic speech on twitter and why it is important to examine how casual homophobia is.

Dr. Cornel West Does Not Believe Barack Obama Deserved to Use MLK’s Bible: Looking at whether or not Barack Obama’s record aligns with goals and morals that MLK lived by.

Review: Out by Laura Preble : Looking at a new discrimination flip which asks the question of what would happen if straight people were oppressed for their sexuality by gay people and why this kind of discrimination flip is problematic.

Self Defense and Marginalized Communities : looking at how marginalized communities are often violently attacked and the prevalence that this attacks are justified in the name of self defense.

5. Review and reap of the season finale of American Horror Story.

A Weapon Is Not a Strong Female Character : looking at how strength in urban fantasy is often reduced to turning female characters into weapons without any characterisation and why this is just another form of oppression.

A recap and review of the latest episode of The Vampire Diaries.

6. This week I welcomed the wonderful Maki Yamazaki (a.k.a Dr Carmilla) to the Tea Cosy for a series of posts on Artist’s Hell (plus how to escape it and become an Art Ninja). Here’s part one, and here’s two. Tis as useful for writers and bloggers as the artists and musicians out there!

Last weekend was pretty eventful for abortionistas and anti-choicers in Ireland, with a national planning meeting for the Abortion Rights Campaign coinciding with a massive antichoice demo (and prochoice counterdemo, naturally). Here’s a roundup of the goings-on.

As a mouthy prochoicer in Ireland, I sometimes get tweeted at by suspiciously-wealthy antichoicers (with an excellent line in misogyny and homophobia) Youth Defence. Here’s what they had to say.

For Blog for Choice Day, I wrote about why I’m prochoice (and you should be too).

I respond to Youth Defence’s ad campaign claiming that we should “love them both”.

Finally, and briefly, I step away from the abortion debate for a moment to lament how much it sucks to internalise beauty expectations.

7. Danielle says:

I wrote about Cary Grant, and the sexual surrogacy of his last movie.

8. I’ve started working on my thesis proposal, so I set up a page for it, and wrote about How to read for a bibliography.

I also mused with one of the authors I’m reading on what constitutes a “practice”, and wrote a lectionary reflection for today: “All their eyes were fixed on him”.

9. Miriam says:

I wrote about the disproportionately large focus on who pays the bill as a feminist issue, and why people who focus on this are missing the point.

10. K__ says:

I lost 8 months to depression and all I got was this lousy blog post – A return to blogging after losing 3/4 of a year to yet another round of serious depression. I also developed a cyst. There will actually be another lousy blog post later to wrap up part 2.

11. I wrote a piece on why it’s not acceptable to use “females” when you mean “women”, and was amazed at the controversy it caused:
    We (Don’t) Need To Talk About Females

12. mxe354 says:

I wrote a bit about some writing tips that I personally like to follow: http://mellowness.dreamwidth.org/12681.html

13. Debbi says:

This week on KMWW, we talked about Oscar nominated films, specifically Django Unchained and Silver Linings Playbook.

Next week we’ll look at more nominees, and check back in on the shows Arrow and Revolution.

14. jemima101 says:

Apologies my post seems to have gone as a reply to someone, re doing, hope that is OK

There was a horrifiying aquittal of a man who abused his partner then used Fifty Shades of Shite in his defence. The iea of consent was dumped because of Christian fecking Grey. As you might be able to tell I am quite angry still about this.

We both blogged….This has the details of the case, be aware it contains other incidences of the abuse of women, which may trigger some people

Carter wrote about how men cannot avoid responsibility for their actions.

15. Anna says:

I’m sure Feministe readers have heard of Roe v. Wade, and know that it established a constitutional right to abortion — exactly 40 years ago last Tuesday! But are you fuzzy on the details? Fear not, for our intrepid blogger Tori has written a handy primer! Learn who Jane Roe was, and read about the case, why it was important, and what the Supreme Court said in their decision. (Not included: Snark from anti-choicers who tweeted asinine comments in response!)

16. Israel, trans folks, marriage, and pinkwashing – I just can’t keep my mouth shut when it comes to Israel..

And, of course, my gender reassignment surgery fundraiser is ongoing.

17. bleh says:

I respond to Kristoff’s column with a few words.

18. Sara Eileen says:

I run a magazine about working in creative fields, and we make every issue in 24 hours. Our next issue is running next Friday, Feb 1st. (Specifically, we have an article lined up on audiences for feminist art that I think may be interesting here!) People can follow along as the magazine is made by watching us on Twitter, or see the final magazine here once we’re finished. Thanks!

19. tigtog says:

OK, integrating the responses left on the earlier incarnation of this weeks Sunday Self Promotion post:

canbebitter

canbebitter 1.27.2013 at 9:18 am

This week I wrapped up my Rebel Wilson Aussie Pride trilogy with a feminist analysis of “Bridesmaids”.

A4

A4 1.27.2013 at 9:18 am

My friend from college has been creating ceramic sculpture based on her migraines. She created a mold of her head and shoulders and has been working with sculptures cast from it. They are really fantastic and thought provoking pieces.

A4

A4 1.27.2013 at 9:21 am

Wendy Lyon

Wendy Lyon 1.27.2013 at 9:22 am

A response to a misinterpretation of data that’s been making the rounds: No, new research does NOT show that violence decreases under the Nordic model.

Nancy Green

Nancy Green 1.27.2013 at 9:38 am

Watching Treme in the Dark of the Year Too depressed to read, hibernating with DVD. In post-Katrina New Orleans men are the ball and chain, inequality never takes a day off– but the script is subtle, the acting excellent, and the music amazing. I cashed in my gym membership and got a piano. Life is too short to sweat a treadmill.

Kathy

Kathy 1.27.2013 at 9:56 am

This week I wrote about Girls clumsy attempt at diversity, and a brief post about the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

Danielle | from two to one

Danielle | from two to one 1.27.2013 at 10:00 am

3 Ways to Talk about Feminism without Using the F-Word. For those whose families or friends are still suspicious feminism, especially those in religious circles, I shared three ways you can talk about feminist ideology and values without ever using the word feminism.

When Consent Isn’t A Factor. Evangelical purity codes are rooted in whether something is sinful/not sinful rather than consensual/non-consensual. I shared a first-hand experience with this flawed paradigm when my husband and I were almost barred from serving at our evangelical camp because we went on a trip together.

God Knew Her Name. A tribute, a rant, and a prayer to Jyoti, the 23-year-old woman who was raped and murdered in India, as well as those in Steubenville and elsewhere suffering from violence.

BalancingJane

BalancingJane 1.27.2013 at 10:04 am

I’m using a blog series I ran to teach my developmental writing students about navigating identity in writing. Want to contribute an essay?

Breast pumps are now covered by insurance and some people aren’t happy about it, saying there’s no such thing as a free lunch–even for babies. I think they’re being short-sighted.

Ashley

Ashley 1.27.2013 at 10:26 am

I’m going to be discussing rape culture in my girls’ group this week, and I’ve put together some resources: http://smallstrokesbigoaks.com/2013/01/26/fearless-females-resources-for-discussing-rape-culture/

As a childfree woman and a regular writer for Role/Reboot, I responded to Janine Kovac’s condescending piece on Role/Reboot this week. Role/Reboot originally wanted to publish the piece, then didn’t. After much discussion about featuring childfree women’s responses, it will now it will be reprinted on R/R sometime this week: http://smallstrokesbigoaks.com/2013/01/24/im-not-ready-for-babies-and-thats-ok-an-open-response-to-janine-kovac/

As a teacher, I think having armed officers in school is the worst idea ever: http://smallstrokesbigoaks.com/2013/01/21/after-the-inauguration-lets-keep-talking-about-gun-control/

Tori

Tori 1.27.2013 at 10:28 am

Winter Blahs Guest Blogging — I have the winter blahs, so I’m looking for guest bloggers. No prior blogging experience necessary.

Donut of Defiance [notes for diet and weight loss] — “Before the semester break, my employer’s human resources department sent out an email advertising a district-wide New Year’s weight loss initiative.”

If you’re contributing to Everyday Yoga, I’d love to have pics in by February 1.

Endometriosis is crap.

The Grown Up Girl

The Grown Up Girl 1.27.2013 at 12:45 pm

Damiane

Damiane 1.27.2013 at 4:06 pm

I did a review of Technogenesis, an interesting cyberpunk book that seems to have been largely ignored. It’s far from perfect, but the concepts are great and it asks some interesting questions about the public good and free will.

20. Rachel says:

I wrote recent critiques on Teach For America’s recruitment and the Cory Booker-touted Caliber Collection of jewelry made from Newark’s guns

21. This week at Yes Means Yes Blog, I put up the first post about the results of the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom’s Consent Survey. The survey was mostly about attitudes towards consent, but there were two questions about consent violations, and the number of the 6000 survey participants that reported that someone violated their consent was shockingly and depressingly high.

22. Véronique says:

Poor Fromage is being neglected. Must fix that. I did get one piece out early in the week.

In More music! I write about my first solo acoustic gigs in something like 35 years, since before I played in bands. For me, this was a major accomplishment, and I hope to do more.

23. Allyson says:

My chapbook, We’re Smaller Than We Think We Are, is in pre-order from Finishing Line Press! This is pretty much a dream come true.

24. Shigekuni says:

While pondering and considering self harm and/or suicide I decided to temporarily reboot my blog where I’ll put up fresh reviews today or tomorrow. I started posting small stuff in the past days but here is my most recent review, of William Attaway’s flawed but intense novel Blood on the Forge.

25. Emily says:

I write anonymously about feminist internal struggles. “Choice feminism” being my most recent, I would love to hear a couple thoughts on the matter!
    (Warning: extremely amateur personal blog. If you’ve ever read someone else’s diary it’s like that–but worse).

26. This week on the Secret Histories Project, meet Agustina de Aragon, female soldier and resistance fighter in the Spanish War of Independence!

27. Julia says:

Last week I wrote about the possibility that the TSA would finally remove the backscatter machines from airports (also known as the “naked scanners,” which emit low doses of radiation and allow agents to see you, well, naked).

I’d love thoughts and comments:

28. a lawyer says:

LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE:

I need a kickass book on body development for my just-entering-puberty daughter. Like, the 2013 version of Our Bodies Ourselves or something like it. The sort of thing that one leaves on her bookshelf so she can read stuff which she is too embarrassed to ask.

Feministe readers, any suggestions?

• EG says:

Well, Our Bodies, Ourselves is regularly updated, though I haven’t looked at it for a while. At some point, the same group put out a puberty book called Changing Bodies, Changing Lives. I don’t know if it’s still out there, but it might be worth a look.

29. Palaverer says:

Ok, either my link didn’t get moved over here from the defunct thread, or it was moderated out for some reason. If I’m outside of the posting guidelines could someone please let me know?

Planned Parenthood held an art auction this week, and my piece was one of the few that did not get a winning bid. I’ve posted it on ebay and I’m letting you guys know because (a) the money goes to Planned Parenthood and (b) it’s a cool piece that deals with women’s bodies and the right to take up space.

30. Katie K says:

This week I wrote in support of Roe V Wade’s 40th anniversary with my personal abortion story.

31. Kelsey Bain says:

My personal blog is just taking off. I would love to get some in put by veteran bloggers. Maybe some advice. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

• jemima101 says:

Not sure if I am veteran, but thanks for the link to the post on white privilege, really interesting reading. There doesn’t seem to be a comment facility on the blog or am I missing it?

32. Kelsey Bain says:

33. Somewhat belated, but I have a new blog post up, featuring two done-from-scratch new photo composites. Cats, toast, tea and Feline Paralysis (which you should read about at Catster – too funny and too true!).