In fact, it’s really only been considered Biblically “true” since 1979 — before that, Evangelicals held widely varying positions, and even some of the most vocal “life begins at conception” voices today didn’t think that zygote life was the equivalent of born-human life in the 1960s and 70s. But political necessities change, and with them Bible interpretations. Read that whole piece; it’s fascinating. Also worth considering the role played by the new Right, and the need to replace full-throated support for segregation with other issues that could rally racist whites, particularly in the South.
Thanks, Lauren, for the link!
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- By all means, let’s use the fear of fat to justify feeding (patented!) hormones to infants by zuzu April 24, 2007
- why do I fuck thee? let me count the ways by evil fizz July 31, 2007
- Time to Declare War by Jill March 5, 2006
- OMG Teh Hysterical Feminists Again! by Jill October 18, 2007
- The mysterious inner workings of a female duck by zuzu May 1, 2007