SOTU Open Thread

So many pastel ties. Michelle’s bangs still look bangin. Universal pre-school access, which is a new one (and great). Everyone wants gun violence to end. Boehner can’t be bothered to stand up for five seconds to applaud a 102-year-old woman who stood in line for six hours to vote. What did you all think?

About Jill

This entry was posted in Politics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to SOTU Open Thread

1. Miss S says:

I was impressed with what I saw. I was happy to see the family of the girl in Chicago that was killed was there and that he mentioned them. I hope they do raise the federal minimum wage, because he’s right- people working 40 hours a week should not be living in poverty. I support closing loopholes so that big corporations can get away with paying less in taxes than small businesses.

I missed part of it because I was watching the coverage of Christopher Dorner. Can we talk about that? Can we talk about how incredibly awful the LAPD has reacted? Can we talk about how they fired over 50 rounds at two women, one of whom was 71 years old, because they were driving a truck that was a different make, model, and color of the one they were looking for? Please?
    /end derail. I had to vent.

• tigtog says:

Miss S, you’re most welcome to talk about Dorner/LAPD on the latest Weekend Open Thread.

• pheenobarbidoll says:

Can there not be a post devoted to it? Because it’s not that insignificant.

• tigtog says:

I’m not saying that there won’t be one, pheenobarbidoll – but it’s not my call. As an Aussie who has only seen the most sensationalist headlines about the matter I don’t feel qualified to be the one to write it or host the thread. I just wanted to note that the weekly open thread is there for exactly this reason (amongst others) – to be a place where people can discuss current events that aren’t on-topic on other posts.

• pheenobarbidoll says:

His media portrayal is what I find most significant. I mean, everyone knows the LAPD is riddled with racists, but I noticed the Scary Black Man trope coming from the media quickly. There’s no “mental issues” excuse being seriously discussed like there is for white spree killers.

• tigtog says:

Ah, I didn’t even know he was a POC from what I’d heard/seen over here.

• Andie says:

I’ve seen some media talk of mental health issues but they’ve been painting it as a lifelong issue. Personally, if mental issues are at play here, I’d wager a guess that it’d be in the form of PTSD from time both in the military and with the LAPD.. because yeah, LAPD? Racist as fuck. That couldn’t have been an awesome work environment.

But yeah, I definitely see the ‘Scary Black Man’ trope at play as well. US media is totally playing up the ‘Cop Killer’ end of this while effectively ignoring the LAPD’s role in bringing this guy to this point.

• Miss S says:

Thanks tigtog, I didn’t see anyone talking about it, so I’ll try to post something for the next open thread.

2. Fat Steve says:

During the State of the Union Address, I watched the first two episodes of The Following on Hulu. It was really good, I highly recommend it. Alas, there was no Republican rebuttal, but I felt that added to the excellence of the program.

3. Foxy says:

A government which assasinates its own citizens is looking for gun control!

• When outlaws law out guns only guns will have in-laws!

…oh, dear, I don’t remember exactly how it goes…

• I adore you so much right now.

• TomSims says:

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

When the government fears the people you have liberty, when the people fear the government you have tyranny – Thomas Jefferson

• Amelia the Lurker says:

the joke

your head

• EG says:

Very true. That’s why all the people of Western Europe are suffering under the boot-heel of the oppressor at this very moment. And terrorized by gun-wielding outlaws, of course. Far more so than we are.

• pheenobarbidoll says:

You mean they don’t have Law Enforcement show up on reservations threatening the hell out of people, “accidentally” killing people or telling Tribal Police they’re dead if they piss off the white police?

I’m sorry but dismissing the fucking fact that YOUR GOVERNMENT IS ACTIVELY ENGAGING IN GENOCIDE is pretty insulting. I don’t give a damn what you think about gun control, stop erasing what’s being done in order to further your own goddamn cause.

The US government and law enforcement kills people. Purposely. Innocent people. Purposely. For money.

Stop acting like there’s no real threat or like it would never happen or that it’s just paranoid nonsense when that fake never happening paranoid nonsense kills the Indigenous of this country on a daily basis.

• Past my expiration date says:

When the government fears the people you have liberty, when the people fear the government you have tyranny – THIS IS A SPURIOUS QUOTATION FROM Thomas Jefferson (WHICH MEANS THAT HE DID NOT, IN FACT, SAY THIS)

Fixed that for you.

• pheenobarbidoll says:

Seriously. Y’all gotta stop forgetting that American Citizens (and we have the papers to prove it) are in fact being murdered by your own government just because guns get mentioned.

They’re killing us, regardless of your gun control opinion.

And we’re not worthless enough to keep forgetting how our blood is spilled, just because YOURS isn’t.

You don’t feel threatened by your government, great. Must be nice. But that’s privilege, not some fucking universal reality.

Come back and talk to me when they decide they want the very air you’re breathing. Think you’ll feel threatened?

And then I’ll pat you on the head and tell you you’re just being a paranoid nut because things like that don’t really happen.

• EG says:

I’m not getting why you’re angry, pheeno. The joke isn’t that people of the US aren’t under the boot-heel of the oppressor; the joke is that the people of Western Europe aren’t, when compared to the people of the US, despite their gun control laws. The fact that the US is engaged in genocide and forcibly oppressing people is, I thought, implicit; the point is that freer access to guns than is had in Western Europe isn’t doing a damn thing to stop that.

Of course the US government is threatening; there’s nothing paranoid about that. I don’t see much to indicate that continued access to guns is going to stop it, however.

• pheenobarbidoll says:

The “joke” EG is on anyone who mentions government killing people when the topic is gun control because people who bring it up are paranoid pro gun nuts. By default.

It’s not a fucking joke. It’s not fucking funny. It’s not mock worthy or deserving of flippancy.

I’m sick of it. I’m sick to death of people using our deaths to promote their beliefs. I’m sick of people forgetting our deaths while they’re promoting their beliefs.

No matter what you think about gun control, you need to remember that some people did in fact experience it hands on. As in, being found in possession of a gun was a death sentence for your entire village. And that fear of the government is not paranoia. AND- some people who think keeping a weapon is their only way of protection against the government aren’t being pro gun paranoid trigger happy AK loving assholes. Nor are they stupid.They’re just worried that the white cop that pulled them over and threatened them will show up on their front porch one day, because he was staring a little too long and hard at your 15 year old daughter.

Every thread about gun control has turned into a fucking circus. The mockery abounds. And I simply cannot take it anymore.

• EG says:

I’m sorry I upset you, pheeno. But I was no more flip than I usually am, almost always about topics that involve pretty damn serious realistic stuff. Further, nothing in my comment suggests that fear of government violence is the province of paranoid nuts; it does suggest that the fantasy of fending off such violence with legally owned guns is unrealistic, and that’s something I stand by.

As for not being mock-worthy…no. I disagree. The rhetoric surrounding gun rights, positing some future dystopia that is being held at bay only by white dudes with legally owned guns, completely ignoring both gun violence and the current depredations of the US is eminently mock-worthy. Nothing in my comment mocked Native Americans or the suffering they/you continue to endure.

But if you object to mockery and flippancy regarding life-and-death issues and the rhetoric surrounding them, then you should probably just skip my comments in general in the future. That’s how I talk.

• Miss S says:

It’s not a fucking joke. It’s not fucking funny

When the response to a teenage girl being shot and killed while at a part is, “we need more guns! Arms the teachers/kids/bus drivers/trees/sidewalks/birds!” it’s not funny in a “hahaha that’s hilarious” sort of way, but in a “this has to be a joke, it’s so fucking ridiculous” sort of way.

And honestly? The majority of people killed by guns in the U.S are not being killed by the government, but by other citizens with guns. That’s also why the argument sounds ridiculous.

• amblingalong says:

When outlaws law out guns only guns will have in-laws!

…oh, dear, I don’t remember exactly how it goes…

You are the absolute best, I hope you realize.

• SophiaBlue says:

A government that is hugely flawed in one aspect seeks to improve its laws in another aspect!

• Manon says:

Did you also hear that Hitler was in favor of job creation? We must immediately stop creating jobs!

4. Jill says:

Also Marco Rubio watergate!

5. TomSims says:

“Boehner can’t be bothered to stand up for five seconds to applaud a 102-year-old woman who stood in line for six hours to vote. What did you all think?”

“Boner” was just drunk as usual.

6. Andie says:

I still can’t get over the fact that someone thought bringing Ted “Let’s not-so-subtly threaten the president’s life, oh and statutory rape is fun too” Fucking Nugent as their +1 was at all a good idea. Not in any universe or realm is this a good idea.

• Denise Winters says:

Well at least they didn’t bring Ted “tell then Presidential candidate and future Secretary of State to suck on a machine gun because she’s a stupid bitch” Nugent. I mean, whoa. If they were the same person, they would probably be on a watch list that barred them from such an event and being seen with them would be career ending. I would argue that there would have been a totally different reaction if POTUS and former Secretary of State were white males and Nugent a person of color, but I won’t, because that would be reverse racism.

• Henry says:

I was praying for Secret Service to tackle him.

7. My partner thought Biden was drunk. We lasted three meandering minutes before we couldn’t handle the speechifying anymore.

What if they formed a government, and nobody cared?

• EG says:

I never can handle it; I get very bored, so I don’t watch. I figure that I’ll be able to read all about what was in the speech the next morning, and that if anything terrifically exciting happens, it’ll be all over the internet, available for playback.

• Denise Winters says:

That has been my approach for the past three years. I no longer wish to spend 45 minutes watching something hat I can read in 10.

• zuzu says:

Biden’s been sober for decades. All facial expressions are the real him.

Boehner, OTOH…

8. I thought it was a strong speech, though at times not very heavy on specifics.

You say you’ve got a new solution/well, you know/we’d all love to see the plan.

9. pitbullgirl65 says:

We know our economy is stronger when our wives, mothers, and daughters can live their lives free from discrimination in the workplace, and free from the fear of domestic violence.”

Nice framing there bucko.
    1. OUR = The Men of ‘Merica.
    2. Our wives I am not married thank you very much and you just left out GLBT people. As usual.
    3. Mothers Shocker! Many women are NOT mothers and don’t wish to be. I never wanted kids.
    4. Since this is addressed to The Menz, I guess I’m not a daughter, because my father is dead, and you weren’t addressing my mother.

Fuck you very much for not mentioning how our reproductive rights are still under attack. Oh and if I want an abortion, I don’t need to confer with my non existent husband or my pastor since I don’t believe in your Sky Daddy. My doctor is the only one who I need to talk to.

• AnthroBabe says:

Right on! Shakesville has a petition on for the White House to stop this reductive framing of women. Why not say “the women of the U.S.” or “U.S. women” – less words, FTFY Obama!

• SamBarge says:

This was my reaction during the campaign when Obama spoke of rights for “our sisters, mothers, daughters, etc.”

True, compared to the shit coming from Republicans, this was very progressive but I can’t understand how, in the 21st century, we can still only value women by their relationship to men. Women are people. The world is better when people aren’t oppressed.

Sheesh.

• Lolagirl says:

Well, that’s the problem. The GOP doesn’t even value women according to their relationship to men, because they have continued to make it clear that they view as nothing more than vessels for baby manufacturing.

Look, I get why the President’s phraseology is troubling and upsetting, and I agree to some extent with the criticism of it. But the Republicans do not believe women, as a class, are thinking, sentient, intelligent beings capable of controlling our own lives and our own bodily autonomy. And I honestly get the impression that the President is clumsily trying to push back at this notion that women are just uteruses at the disposal of men. Because I honestly do not believe that it even occurs to the like of John Boehner, Rick Santorum, Marco Rubio et al that the women in their lives are anything more than just that.

10. Fred says:

The President, in reference to the ongoing global war on terror, said: ” we must enlist our values in the fight. That is why my Administration has worked tirelessly to forge a durable legal and policy framework to guide our counterterrorism operations. ”

I’ve heard very little from the left about the “kill list” justification from the DOJ. Why no due process or judicial review prior to killing? A laundry list of projects and waving the bloody shirt of Newton around seems to have served quite well to ‘enlist our values in the fight’. Some of our values anyway, at least for the mid-term election fight of 2014. See the pbs interview asking the tough and unanswered questions:

• Foxy says:

Liberals only worry about torture and war crimes when other side is in power.When obama does the same it was good torture

11. Henry says:

Why no due process or judicial review prior to killing?

Because it is a war. For the same reasons we did not run the invasion of Germany past a judge during WWII. So long as you can justify a target as a soldier in a conflict versus the USA, you do not need due process. that’s the argument you want to be having, whether these people who are members of an organization that declared war on the USA are criminals or soldiers. DOJ thinks they are soldiers (albeit ones committing war crimes by deliberately targeting civilians).

12. John says:

No I did not. Just like I didn’t see the last 25 or more of them. When I want to watch a Politcal Member make love to the cameras then I will turn it on and watch it. And if you look at what he has really done instead of the smoke and mirrors that is put out there about what he has done, you wouldn’t either. However, the man does like to hear himself talk and be in front of the cameras and sure doesn’t want to do the job he has! Plus doesn’t want any imput from anyone else!

13. [Moderator note – ORIGINAL COMMENT CONTENT HAS BEEN FLUFFINATED]

the head of a giraffe against a bright blue sky: its mouth is pursed sidewaysDo you like superfake email addresses? I do! I think they’re super awesome! They let me tell folks about how wonderful cute fluffy things are any time I like!