UPDATED WITH MORE LINKAGE
[Content note: rape culture, victim-blaming, slut-shaming]
Michael Crook: Travesty of justice in Steubenville (read down to Crook’s conclusion about bystander laws to fully absorb the marvel that is Michael)
I don’t think any state in the union has a law that force someone to help, and if they do, it’ll be a major legal issue, because it seems unconstitutional to force one to help another. In that sense, it could wind up being a good thing if it goes to court, because then the silly “render aid” laws that exist can be struck down.
That’s just the beginning.
UPDATE 2013/03/19: Crook has now taken his Twitter account private.
Coming a close second, this: CNN grieves for the rapists – then another female reporter for CNN topped her sadface for the convicted rapists by referring to Jane Doe as “allegedly” drunk.
Allegedly?! MT @poppyharlowcnn Steubenville HSl football players accused of raping an allegedly drunk 16-yr old girl were found guilty
— Jessica Valenti (@JessicaValenti) March 17, 2013
There’s plenty more fail out there in the reportage of this verdict. Share your rage in the comments.
I’ll leave you with one article, on Yahoo! Sports of all places, to balance the dross – share links to others as you find them.
P.S. Also Miri’s glorious rant over at Brute Reason:
P.P.S. A typically thorough summary and exhortation from John Scalzi – Stubenville and CNN and the Rest (his piece and Dan Wetzel’s piece above might be particularly useful to send to folks who routinely dismiss “angry feminist” links).
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- For Steubenville football players, unconsciousness = consent. by Caperton March 14, 2013
- Rape Culture in Action Round-Up by tigtog September 3, 2013
- Zerlina Maxwell speaks, receives death threats, refuses to stop speaking by Caperton March 18, 2013
- Student speaks about her sexual assault, is threatened with expulsion by Jill February 26, 2013
- Detroit prosecutor faces down 11,000 untested rape kits by Caperton February 18, 2013