Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. Mike Lindgren
    Mike Lindgren April 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm |

Well said! Yet another example of the boys’ club at work. Omission = Chauvinism. I like David Carr; I don’t go around thinking, “oh, David Carr, sexist pig.” But that’s why this is so necessary.

2. David W. Keen
    David W. Keen April 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm |

Now, I’m not saying the most already-famous subjects are the only ones who should be profiled, but you’re hardly helping your argument by saying that Carr is in the wrong for profiling Andrew Sullivan, Aaron Sorkin, Piers Morgan, David Bradley, Keith Olbermann, Andrew Breitbart and the guys from South Park instead of two particular women of your chosing.
    Reading this list all I could think was “yeah, of course he profiled them.” You’d have been far more effective had you chosen less-known subjects he’s selected instead of a woman.

1. A4
      A4 April 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm |

I was waiting for someone to come in here with a version of “It’s not about gender, it’s about merit!” so consider yourself to be the first to step into that puddle of male privilege.

If someone wants to tell me they are ignoring women in their industry because of this magically neutral measure of “merit”, they better have a fucking good set of concrete criteria to show me, because otherwise that is total bullshit.

You realize how circular your argument is right? The idea that one cannot blame someone for covering only men because it is the men who are famous and written about?

For fucks sake.

1. yes
        yes April 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm |

Famous/written about != merit.

1. A4
          A4 April 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm |

(Famous/written about != merit.) != counterargument

2. yes
          yes April 13, 2013 at 6:28 am |

Pointing out a single piece of shady rhetorical dishonesty != intending to make a complete counter-argument.

3. Diana Lind
    Diana Lind April 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm |

Fair point, David Keen, and indeed, I could have noted a number of other women Carr should have profiled. Swap in any of these names for those I listed above (a bit offhandedly, I admit): swap Christiane Amanpour for Piers Morgan, Tina Brown or Arianna Huffington for David Bradley, Rachel Maddow for Keith Olbermann, etc. etc. Those are the obvious choices and frankly I wouldn’t have been psyched for Carr to profile them either (it’s been done), but surely there are plenty of women to match the stature of the men that Carr has chosen as his subjects.

4. David W. Keen
    David W. Keen April 9, 2013 at 5:56 pm |

Exactly. That was the point I was making, Diana. Apparently A4 didn’t make it all the way through my post before readying her retort, but that’s her issue.

1. A4
      A4 April 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm |

It wasn’t very long, she made it through fine.

5. richard monahan
    richard monahan April 9, 2013 at 6:21 pm |

Wow bias and blind spots at the Times. Shocking.

6. Comradde PhysioProffe
    Comradde PhysioProffe April 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm |

Carr’s autobiography of his drinking/drugging days–which is very entertaining–makes it very clear that he is a classical dudebro. So it is not at all surprising that he focuses his journalistic efforts on dudes.

7. firelizard19
    firelizard19 April 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm |

“it’s up to women to correct those kind of guys.”

I have a little quibble with this- I’d instead say it’s up to *feminists* and fair-minded people of all identifications to correct them. The strongest ally can often be someone who once thought themselves your enemy.

(Example: My boyfriend used to ascribe to the Catholic Church’s view on homosexuality, but has since switched sides and is disgusted that he once felt that way, especially given that not so long ago as a black man he wouldn’t have had equal rights either.)

8. TomSims
    TomSims April 10, 2013 at 1:00 am |

I just watched Carr on Charlie Rose, not 20 minutes ago. I’d never heard of him before. They were talking about network TV, cable TV , Netflix and aps. Well one thing I know, if he works for the NY Times, he’s a liberal and all of the men named above are liberals too. And here I thought liberal men and feminists were the best of friends. So I agree with the feminists, there should be women in his interviews to an equal extent.

1. A4
      A4 April 10, 2013 at 11:10 am |

And here I thought liberal men and feminists were the best of friends.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1. hotpot
        hotpot April 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm |

2. Katherine
        Katherine April 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm |

Yeah, that was pretty much my response too.