Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. The Folkland
    The Folkland April 14, 2013 at 9:04 am |

I’m here to share information about a new web community for survivors of sexual assault and their allies. The Folkland will be an online art gallery featuring exclusively the works of those intimately affected by sexual assault, and the launch is set for tomorrow at 12 noon EST.

Please stop by to look, read, listen, or submit your own work—we’d love to see it! In the meantime, here is our mission statement:

‘The mission of The Folkland is twofold: first, to create a folk community for survivors of rape, sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, or any other involuntary sexual act; second, to initiate a folk art movement that will inspire and encourage survivors, their loved ones, and anyone intimately affected by these acts to transform their experiences into works of art. The Folkland is dedicated towards fostering a safe space for sharing and for healing. We are dedicated towards supporting survivors and towards promoting their creative work. We are dedicated towards inclusion, and we are dedicated towards honoring the individual as contributor or observer and as a part of a larger communal movement. The Folkland will allow for a broad definition of “art.” We will accept and encourage works of all scale, style, medium, point of view, and skill level, and we will temper our notion of “art” with the understanding that what is beautiful is not always pretty.’

2. scopophilia
    scopophilia April 14, 2013 at 9:06 am |

I reviewed the queer film ‘Keep the Lights On”: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/47879140206/keep-the-lights-on-2012

and chose 5 interesting links of the week: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/47944756847/the-weekend-5

3. Kasey Weird
    Kasey Weird April 14, 2013 at 9:06 am |

Haven’t shamelessly self-promoted in a while!

Things I’ve written about lately that might be of interest:

The things I consider when navigating gendered spaces as a nonbinary person

Marriage:
    What right are we really talking about when we discuss ‘marriage rights’?
    and
    What is the societal purpose of marriage, anyway? (I conclude that there isn’t one, but honestly it would seriously uncomplicate my life if someone could convince me otherwise.)

A short and sappy story about love and misunderstandings

and finally:
    An examination of the the relative nature of gender presentation. Yet another way that people’s overall perceptions of you are affected by their perception of your sex.

4. J. Eddy
    J. Eddy April 14, 2013 at 9:08 am |

This week I wrote a letter in response to the National Association of Scholars’ bigoted study on Bowdoin College and to David Feith’s corresponding Wall Street Journal article. You can read it over on Feminspire.

Here is an excerpt: “The NAS predicates their claim that our liberal arts colleges are too politically liberal on the argument that the education these institutions offer is not American enough—the implication here, of course, is that liberals don’t want our students to study American history. To then suggest that so much as offering a course catalogue that includes non-white-heteronormative-male-centric studies (in addition to a litany of white-heteronormative-male-centric studies) reflects a liberal bias on the part of the college (and again, a liberal bias apparently means a lack of American studies), is to suggest that non-white-heteronormative-male Americans are not really Americans at all. Every Bowdoin student, graduate, professor, and faculty member should be offended by this study. I am offended down to my very core. But every non-white-heteronormative-male American should be offended as well because the NAS seems to think we are not true Americans.”

1. Joedj
      Joedj April 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm |

I think the link is broken (Feminspire)

5. Balancing Jane
    Balancing Jane April 14, 2013 at 9:13 am |

You’ll Have to Accept Being Half-Ass and Other Tales from the Crib- This guest post takes a look at the challenge of juggling parenting and adjunct teaching.

On my new blog (a resource site for developmental writing teachers), I wonder about cell phones in the classroom and how us teachers can perhaps use their ubiquitous presence more productively.

6. Nancy Green
    Nancy Green April 14, 2013 at 9:19 am |

Go Gloria! From the time you took on Playboy you have been my homegirl…
    Gloria Steinem defends Kim Kardashian

Did you know there are five girls for every boy? Here’s how to be appeasing and manipulative. Boys love that…
    A Manual for Young Man Hunters

Hate, hate, hate– it gets old…
    Siskel and Ebert Give 2 Thumbs Down to the Fred Phelps Drama

7. Maria Smilios
    Maria Smilios April 14, 2013 at 9:27 am |

This week’s blog “A Few Wacks Makes a Strong Man,” I looked at domestic violence through the lens of motherhood.

8. MissCherryPi
    MissCherryPi April 14, 2013 at 10:11 am |

One week from today I will be participating in the Bowl-A-Thon for the New York Abortion Access Fund. An abortion fund raises money to help people get abortions who cannot pay for them. This is important to me because access to reproductive services should not be dependent on income. If you would like to make a dontion, you can check out my page here.

9. Ashley
    Ashley April 14, 2013 at 10:38 am |

Let’s see, I did a shorter post on Age & Appearance

And a post of my sister’s Wedding Photos

10. Tori
    Tori April 14, 2013 at 11:15 am |

I wrote more about pelvic floor physical therapy, this time getting into speaking with the actual therapist.

And a letter to Lululemon.

11. Kathy
    Kathy April 14, 2013 at 11:26 am |

I wrote a brief post about femfuture and feminism’s myth of universality.

12. J. Eddy
    J. Eddy April 14, 2013 at 11:26 am |

Oops, just realized the first link I sent along was fault–you can read the article here.

13. Gretchen
    Gretchen April 14, 2013 at 11:56 am |

I’ve been swamped and only wrote one post this week: Will the real Islamophobes please stand up?:

14. ashurredly
    ashurredly April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm |

I read some poetry and wrote about it:

Content note for violence.

15. Hannah
    Hannah April 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  16. Michelle
    Michelle April 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm |

I loved comics but I got tired of feeling nauseated instead of entertained b/c of gender issues (racism can come too).
    Solution: I’M WRITING MY DAMN OWN.
    The Mavia Comic takes place in a post-apocalyptic dystopian American West. And it’s awesome :)
    Only got the first page done so far, but stay tuned!

17. jemima101
    jemima101 April 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm |

Most of my thinking at the moment is still around the amazing experience of attending the sex workers open university, the chance to share, to unburden, discuss and learn from each other.

http://itsjustahobby.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/the-elephant-missing-from-the-room/ This post is about those missing from the week, the antis and abolitionists. Not one turned up to any of the public events, despite their firm belief they *know* what is best for sex workers.

TW First hand account of rape. Rape as a weapon of war, sexual assault,

The hardest thing I have ever written, but there was a lot of talk of how antis were silencing us, and we need to reclaim our experiences, this is my attempt to do that.

18. Demetria
    Demetria April 14, 2013 at 1:35 pm |

Hey Folks:

I’ve recently started a new transformative and healing justice blog called The Root Of All Love.

My posts include analyses of how colonial systems of oppression hinder us from pursuing and receiving true, organic love and being accountable to one another.

This week, I am starting up a new column called “The Healing Diaries” where I provide weekly tips on daily strategies for healing and spiritual development.

I post every Monday and Wednesdays.

You can sign up for the weekly mailing list here :)

19. Clarissa
    Clarissa April 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm |

Russia’s President Putin and FEMEN: http://clarissasblog.com/2013/04/11/putin-vs-femen/

Putin gives a speech on gay rights: http://clarissasblog.com/2013/04/09/putin-on-gay-rights/

Margaret Thatcher as a symbolic mother: http://clarissasblog.com/2013/04/11/thatcher-as-a-symbolic-mother/

20. Charlie Sweatpants
    Charlie Sweatpants April 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm |

On Friday, the Ann Arbor Review of Books published its fourth issue. We’re a group blog/online magazine dedicated to media criticism, and we need a few more bloggers before we’ll be fully armed and operational. You can read all about it here:

Long story short: feminist criticism of media and advertising needed; anonymous bylines welcome.

21. Anna
    Anna April 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm |

If you’ve been following the news this year, you might have noticed that bare pubic regions have been on the media’s mind. While some claim that the Brazilian wax is driving the extinction of pubic lice, others say that shaving or waxing one’s nether regions increases risk for certain sexually transmitted viruses. What is the source of all this media hype, and what does the actual evidence say?

* * *

Meet Katharine McCormick and Margaret Sanger, the Mothers of Birth Control. A century ago, Margaret Sanger dreamed of a “magic pill” that would allow women to control their own fertility. By 1950, she had enlisted the help of a wealthy friend, Katharine McCormick, one of the first women trained in biology. Together, they initiated much of the early research into hormonal contraception — without help from the government or the pharmaceutical industry, neither of which thought it was a reputable area of study.

* * *

Also, if you’re in Arizona, you might be interested in discounted STD testing at Planned Parenthood during STD Awareness Month (April). Not in Arizona? Check with your local PP affiliates to see if they’re running similar promotions!

22. Donna DeForbes
    Donna DeForbes April 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm |

Regarding whether or not to buy your daughter a Barbie doll:

23. Damiane
    Damiane April 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm |

This week I reviewed The Spirit Thief, which was a nice light read; the protagonist is a thief, which normally means a good bit of grittiness and sermonizing about moral ambiguity, but not this time. The comedy was a great change of pace.

I also wrote the second part in my series on opening sentences, this time focused on dialogue and the narrator addressing the reader.

24. Pissed Off Woman
    Pissed Off Woman April 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm |

Wherein I discuss the incredibly meanness and stupidity of Obama’s latest attempt to bargain with Republicans over the US federal budget:

This Budget Deal Smells

25. Rosie
    Rosie April 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm |

This week at Wom*news Sarah wrote about femininity and its place in her life, Laura gave us a roundup of interesting feminist news stories.

Rosie talked about sex myths and women, in rhyme!

<3 happy Monday everyone (from Australia).

26. Sonia Connolly
    Sonia Connolly April 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm |

We instinctively approach a frightened animal with slow, gentle movements and a soft voice. Traumatized humans need the same gentle approach. The Power of Gentle

27. Jo
    Jo April 14, 2013 at 6:13 pm |

For all the stuff I’ve read and heard about street harassment, I’ve always thought that I received very little of it… Until I counted up the actual times I’ve been yelled at, grabbed at and swerved at in the past few months. All because of riding my bike (or otherwise being in public) while also female.

28. Véronique
    Véronique April 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm |

Cette semaine à Fromage:

In Broken toy, I realize that I’m not as on top of things as I thought, but now at least I can make things better.

In The new boy, I introduce you to…Hornby! Cats rule, m’kay? Actually, I love dogs too, as long as they belong to someone else.

Inspired by readings from some powerful feminist poets, I started a poem. Not sure if it will make an appearance, but I will try.

29. Jess
    Jess April 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm |

Ignorant political rhetoric, the sad reality that is Equal Pay Day, and a glimmer of hope from Hillary.

“I run to remember I have a body…” Taking body image issues in stride: Running and Feminism

And probably my favorite post ever: How Leggings Led to My Feminist Epiphany

30. Nine
    Nine April 14, 2013 at 8:51 pm |

Enduring (the) Myths: Sex Work, Decriminalisation and the Nordic Model – I examine the claims made in a recent Huffington Post UK article against legalised and decriminalised sex work.

31. Logan
    Logan April 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm |
  32. Malia S
    Malia S April 15, 2013 at 12:39 am |

I wrote this for Ms. Magazine’s blog on a fellow student who has outed her rapist:

33. Ashley
    Ashley April 15, 2013 at 7:01 am |

Chicago’s NPR branch, WBEZ, wants its listeners to have babies so they can generate more listeners. No thanks: http://smallstrokesbigoaks.com/2013/04/14/no-wbez-i-will-not-have-babies-for-you/

34. Aoife
    Aoife April 15, 2013 at 1:41 pm |

This week started with what I’ll tentatively call good-ish news. Irish doctors, it turns out, may not be so bad. And anti-choice activists are continuing their usual policy of dishonesty.

All you need to understand the celebrations surrounding Thatcher’s death: Thatcher’s Death, Why She Was So Hated, Misapplied Death Etiquette And How To Villify Without Misogyny.

Do You Love Someone Who’s Trans*? A new group has started in Ireland for SOFFAs (that’s Signigifant Others, Family, Friends and Allies) of Trans* people. Give it a like and a share?

For Friday I shared one of my favourite videos of all time, and we talked about the things that make us toe-curlingly happy: Friday! Starships! Happy!

And yesterday… okay, I’m sorry about this but I’m too damn excited to use regular text for this. Let’s try again:

Yesterday, the Irish Constitutional Convention voted by a stunning margin of seventy-nine percent in favour of a referendum to demand marriage equality. Seventy! Nine! Per! Cent!

Damnit, Ireland. Sometimes I’m actually really, really proud of you.

35. ABlogOfTheirOwn
    ABlogOfTheirOwn April 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm |

I’m way late, but here’s a brief post on an unbelievably (and unnecessarily) sexist column/headline that appeared in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently:

Thanks, and peace to all on a crappy day.

36. Licious
    Licious April 16, 2013 at 11:16 am |

I recently started a new blog to help pass the time until I start school again.

I wrote a recap of last week’s episode of Bomb Girls: http://lifeonthesmallscreen.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/recap-bomb-girls-2×09-something-fierce/

And I wrote the first entry in a series entitled Fandom, in which I reflect on what shows have been important to me and why. Entry number 1 is Queer as Folk! http://lifeonthesmallscreen.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/fandom-queer-as-folk/

37. Candace Lamb
    Candace Lamb April 19, 2013 at 11:35 am |

I love the idea of Shameless Self Promotion! I have website focused on career advice for women, http://www.theproactiveprofessional.com

This week, I wrote a post titled “Why Can’t a Woman Be Less Like a Man?” in regards to the idea of “leaning in.”