Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. tigtog
    tigtog April 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm | *
  2. Angie unduplicated
    Angie unduplicated April 16, 2013 at 9:09 am |

Spot on, Jill. If Philly (or anywhere else) only had one restaurant in town, the Powers That Be would still inspect it and impose some type of quality control. Every profession has its crooks, as the recent dentistry scandal demonstrates. The RWNJ apologists for unfettered capitalism are curiously silent about lives potentially lost through lack of dental sanitation.

3. AMM
    AMM April 16, 2013 at 9:30 am |

What you’ve left out of your analysis is race and class.

The people who went to Gosnell’s “clinic” were not middle-class
    (or upper-class), and they were probably mostly not “white,” either, because if you’re not living from hand to mouth, you would go somewhere better. The government agencies involved didn’t react even after they were aware of conditions there because the people who were suffering were too poor for “anybody” to care about. And I’m sure that’s one of the reasons why the story hasn’t been all over the MSM in the USA, either.

BTW, when I read this post, and noticed the omission, I couldn’t help thinking about WOC’s complaints that mainstream feminism tends to ignore the problems that affect women who aren’t white or well-off.

1. Tempy13
      Tempy13 April 16, 2013 at 9:44 am |

AMM,

I read the artcile and Jill spent quite alot of ink on the issues or race and class and how that profundly affects the quality of healthcare for women in general, as well as specifically in this horrific instance.

4. karak
    karak April 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm |

I remember this being all over the place, in vivid details of outrage. And I believe I read some more conservative Op-Ed pieces about how this was what abortion laws allowed and blah blah blah.

It was covered very, very extensively.

I think that any news about mutilated women just isn’t good enough unless it was an act committed by “inferior” people, like Muslims or Indians, over in their “inferior” country. The mutilation and death of poor women, and especially poor black women in the USA? Well, that just happens, I guess.

1. karak
      karak April 16, 2013 at 2:11 pm |

Oh man, can someone fix my abuse of italics? That’s awful.