Welcome to a pro-life world

In El Salvador, a young mother pseudonymously called Beatriz is pregnant and dying. She has lupus and is facing renal failure; the fetus she’s pregnant with is anencephalic, meaning it has no brain and will not survive once born. If she dies, she will leave behind a husband and their toddler. With each passing day, she gets sicker and sicker, and the chances of death increase. She needed a termination weeks ago; more delays could pose significant hardships, as the probability increases that she will have to be on dialysis for the rest of her life — not a reasonable possibility for a poor woman living in rural El Salvador. But because El Salvador outlaws abortion under any circumstance, Beatriz cannot terminate the pregnancy that’s killing her.

This is what a “pro-life” world looks like. And indeed, even in this extreme case, religious and pro-life groups in El Salvador oppose allowing Beatriz to terminate:

The Archbishop of San Salvador José Luis Escobar, said, “it is my understanding that the mother of the child is not in an intensive care situation… For me, it is the baby in utero that is in more danger because there is a movement to terminate its life. Only God knows how long this baby that they want to kill will live.”

Anti-choice groups in the U.S. who are currently raising hell about late-term abortions supposedly killing babies are notably silent on this case, where pro-life laws are slowly killing a woman.

You can sign the petition at RH Reality Check to encourage the government to move quickly and save Beatriz’s life.

Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Emolee
    Emolee April 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm |

Tears. That is all I have right now.

2. JBL55
    JBL55 April 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm |

This is not “pro-life” — it’s “pro-forced-birth.”

1. matlun
      matlun April 30, 2013 at 2:33 pm |

Those are synonyms.

1. yes
        yes April 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm |

“Fuck the poor” runs a close second. Maybe that’s more a motto than synonym, though.

2. Anon21
      Anon21 April 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

Under these circumstances, it’s just anti-life. They can’t save the fetus, so they’ll kill the mother to make themselves feel better.

1. Willard
        Willard April 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm |

it’s just anti-life

Go Catholicism! Dying the “right” way is better than living in sin.

1. PrettyAmiable
          PrettyAmiable April 30, 2013 at 9:25 pm |

Can I just say – I grew up Catholic but am now an atheist. This is one of the hardest things for me as someone who genuinely does not believe there’s a God – lives are completely wasted, and there’s no pay off in the end, as far as I believe.

3. Brian A Earley
      Brian A Earley May 2, 2013 at 11:59 am |

[Comment content deleted due to the unacceptable rudeness of putting the post author's name in scarequotes ~ Mods]

3. EG
    EG April 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm |

As if this asshole isn’t part of a movement to terminate Beatriz’s life. May he suffer the way she is suffering.

1. IrishUp
      IrishUp April 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm |

Who Would Jesus Torture?

2. Miriam
      Miriam April 30, 2013 at 10:31 pm |

That quote is the most disgusting because first, Archbishop Escobar is simply wrong about the risk to Beatriz and second, the fetus has no chance at life. Not a minimal chance, but no chance. At most, the fetus will breathe and survive a day or two outside of the womb. An anencephalic fetus is not viable.

So Archbishop Escobar is condemning a woman to die because he can’t be half-arsed to know or care about the reality of the situation.

4. wanttobeanon
    wanttobeanon April 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm |

So sickening.

5. IrishUp
    IrishUp April 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm |

If people are not familiar with the organization, International Planned Parenthood Federation has been following “zero tolerance” abortion laws in Latin America for some time.

They also have a petition going. You can also read more about El Salvador’s laws there.

6. Jamie
    Jamie April 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm |

Remember, kids: don’t ever interfere in God’s plan. If God wants you to die, you die! Now go back to wearing those clothes that required interference to create and eating that food that required interference to raise and man I can’t even continue, it’s just so fucked up and dumb.

7. Donna L
    Donna L April 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm |

May he suffer the way she is suffering.

That’s pretty much how I feel. I’m not a pacifist either.

8. Anoia
    Anoia May 1, 2013 at 6:01 am |

If she dies they can declare her a saint like Gianna Beretta Molla. Ugh. Disgusting POS.

There is a longer, older article about San Salvador and its forced-pregnancy policies here:

1. KristinMH
      KristinMH May 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm |

At least Gianna Beretta Molla chose to continue her dangerous pregnancy. It was a dumb choice but she did have the option to get an abortion and live. Beatriz won’t be canonized because she is not willingly laying down her life for a fetus with no brain.

9. IndianFeminist
    IndianFeminist May 2, 2013 at 6:42 am |

It is beyond tragic and a lesson to women in United States to kick the crazies on their butt.

I wrote a post today about how pro-lifers are hijacking gendercide in China and India to push their own agenda.

Basically people doing sex-selective abortions share values with pro-lifers: they don’t believe women have any right to choose.

1. Donna L
      Donna L May 2, 2013 at 8:52 am |

I agree with your sentiments, but it’s really not cool (specifically, it’s ableist) to use the term you did to refer to these people.

10. Brian A Earley
    Brian A Earley May 2, 2013 at 11:29 am |

11. macavitykitsune
    macavitykitsune May 2, 2013 at 1:23 pm |

I want there to be a Hell. And I want it exclusively populated by forced-birthers, child molesters and rapists. Is that okay? Can I have that?

…please????

12. Maki P
    Maki P May 3, 2013 at 1:35 am |

I saw one of those around here in Costa Rica recently. Look I love my country to bits, and I love our sister countries; but they don’t always make it easy. I think In-Vitro Fertilization is still illegal here because of Religion, I am fucking serious.

13. MashBengal
    MashBengal May 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm |

I re-read this over and over again and all I can think of is facing the person denying me the abortion and telling them to come here so I can pry out their brain and see if they will still be alive.

This is truly a sad situation, and when logic is overruled by morality, it’s even worse.