Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Ashleigh says:

On broadsspeak, a Mother’s Day gift: the prehistoric goddess of life and death, in your neighborhood:

2. Hannah says:

I only just realised that the phrase “she forgot to take her medication today!” really hacks me off.

3. Not really a piece about Mother’s Day post, but rather a meditation on remembering my mother: “The Elegant Dragon: A Reflection for Mother’s Day.

4. Kathy says:

This week I wrote a brief post (a reaction to another piece linked in the first paragraph) on the privilege to call oneself a writer.

5. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I’ve done a review of the BBC series Call the Midwife.

Also, in honor of Mother’s Day, a post on the dangers of teaching your kid to read.

6. I wrote about:
    On fatshion and cultural appropriation: an open letter to Jes of the Militant Baker
    The Big Thrifty, an awesome plus size shopping event that I went to last weekend.
    Happy International No Diet Day!
    INDD links roundup, and delicious noms.
    Two exciting upcoming events in Boston: the Fab Fatty Frolic and Three Big Fat Voices.
    -Two quotes of the day related to my feelings about climate change
    and
    -my weekly links roundup, where people are welcome to self-promote as well!

7. Revolution and Race : Looking at how Revolution treats characters of colour and how it fits into the way that dystopian shows normally treat POC.

Hemlock Grove – So Many Problems: Looking at Netflix’s original production Hemlock Grove from a social justice perspective. Specifically looking at gender, and sexuality.

Written-By-Numbers Drinking Game: Paranormal Romance: Paranormal romance has so many repetitive tropes that we simply had to create a drinking game.

Written-By-Numbers Drinking Game: Paranormal YA : Paranormal YA is so trope laden that we created a drinking game to survive the repetitive tropes. You may have to do this one with water.

8. Nancy Green says:

If a pharmacist can refuse emergency contraception, why can’t a psychiatrist tell a teenage girl she’s possessed by demons? Is Dr. Kam a martyr?
    Does the ‘Conscience Clause’ Cover Exorcism?

9. Last week I wrote about some surprising remarks by Cardinal Braz de Aviz on authority and obedience in the context of the interaction between the LCWR (the nuns) and the CDF (the bishops/Vatican).

I critiqued a new blog in which Catholic men* discuss God, Man, and Atheism (*and three Catholic women).

And after a long stretch of paralysis, I have finally managed some thesis blogging, reflecting on Amy Plantinga Pauw’s essay on the gaps between beliefs and practices. A point of feminist interest in this essay is the analysis of religious practices in terms of insights obtained by the practices of motherhood.

10. ashurredly says:

I wrote This is not helping in response to an article about Abercrombie and Fitch.

11. Chemical sensitivities and food intolerances challenge us to assert our
    body’s needs rather than go along with the crowd. Sensitivity Survival Tips

12. Tori says:

I’m drowning in end-of-semester, so very little substantive writing from me this week.

A little posture breakdown of pigeon pose, and some specifically on the piriformis.

Also, a links round up, where folks are welcome to self-promote as well. :)

13. I’m working on a new show inspired by Judy Blume (and other retro YA fiction) called Are You There, God? It’s a New Musical Revue! It will premiere at the Minnesota Fringe Festival this summer, if we’re able to raise enough money via Kickstarter (linked above).

At least watch the video. It’s super cute.

14. The Seen Around the Net feature made a comeback this week
    Fascism, Photos and Grand Guignol

The Great American Speedup and La Maupin

Not much of substance from me this week. Working on remedying that.

15. Alice says:

I’m a painter with feminist themes, I’d love some constructive criticism.
    alicegardnerbates.com

16. Feminema says:

A long conversation online about the new Great Gatsby — strangest film ever for a Mother’s Day posting.

17. Let’s not mock Charles Ramsey, let’s just thank him.

Happy Mother’s Day, all!

18. Dominique says:

Mother’s Day as the day I realize the fondest memories I have of my mother are those in which we children were not there:

19. Damiane says:

This week I reviewed Troubled Waters, a fun high fantasy book that treats men and women as political equals for the most part; no big thing is made of it, but family leaders and noble houses simply follow an even gender split. It’s a great change from the normal male nobles and helpless brides, with the bonus of a budding industrial revolution and great intrigue.

20. Anna says:

I just want to say I’m sick of people treating Mother’s Day as “mom’s day off”, like obviously she does all the housework and childcare all by herself for the rest of the year, and that’s fine as long as you give her one day off.

Not to mention people saying “being a mom is the hardest, most important job in the world”, while not offering to compensate that job in any way, and never saying “being a parent is the hardest, most important job in the world”, always specifying mom, because again obviously mom’s expected to do all the work and that’s just fine apparently.

21. Anna says:

To anyone out there hoping to give birth someday, celebrate Mother’s Day by learning about preconception health.

22. deb says:

a humorous piece about me as a “try-athlete” –how i hit the road running for myself but also to show my kids that middle-aged women have desires, strengths, and vulnerabilities too.

23. Kristin says:

This week I wrote about arithmetic and inequity. I’ve been talking to a variety of parents from a variety of backgrounds, and I’m getting a sense the math fact memorization is getting short shrift and that this is contributing to the opportunity gap. Is this something other people have noticed?

I also continued my series of “feminist takes” of Doctor Who companions. My latest is an appreciation of Zoe Heriot, mathy sciency Adventure Hero extraordinaire.

And I continued my series on persuasive writing for activists, touching on how to learn about your audience.

24. mk says:

I’ve got a piece about deciding to leave Boston. …eventually. …at some point.

25. Jess says:

Sleeveless women news anchors: progressive or unprofessional?
    Why Women News Anchors Should Lose the Blazers

26. Meg says:

In the spirit of taking action and raising awareness during an annual LGBT event I run, I finally came forward with my own story of anti-gay violence.

27. Mariucel says:

I reviewed Osamu Tezuka’s manga Ayako, which is amazing.

28. M. Keep says:

I’ll be honest, I’ve been doing a lot less stuff to do with feminism because I’m trying to make writing a real, solid career. It’s taking a lot of time and energy, but maybe some of you awesome people like scifi/fantasy/romance/erotica?

Here’s some links!

Bound as the World Burns Goodreads Giveaway (An Apocalyptic Interracial BDSM)

Amazon is filtering erotica in the most dishonest and roundabout way possible – and readers don’t realize it’s happening.

Like me on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter | Chat with me on Goodreads

29. This week at Yes Means Yes Blog:

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, about Cleveland, the Air Force, and how the most important skill the predators develop is to seem just like everyone else.

30. Leslie says:

Love this blog! I write for Where Is Your Line & am a teenage women’s rights activist. If y’all could do me a favor & like this poem I wrote on youtube, that would be amazing!!! I’m trying to win a contest! Thanks so much!!!

31. Bellatrix says:

Better late than never right?

Choice Rocks 2013 is an amazing fundraiser I am working on with Planned Parenthood of New Mexico. If you will be in the are or have family/friends/colleagues in the Albuquerque are, please buy a ticket and support an amazing show! There are some great raffle prizes, like SxSW tickets, and fun adult toys!

and from my blog, Armed Venus:

Hospitality – in which I muse on the Pagan obligation to take my friends to the Hot Springs ( oh poor us )

Apothecary Solutions for Spring – a few herbal recipes for escaping th cruelty of allergy season

Beltane and the Yoni– in preparation for my local Beltane gathering, I talk about the magikal properties of the Yoni that we create to hold the Maypole, and balance them with queer notions of creating genitalia and using dildos.

The Magik of Beltane – I review the camping festival and learned somethings about myself regarding event planing that are *very good to know*. Also, sex swings, May Queens and Sacred Sexuality

Judgement– I compare the Tarot card with co-parenting my nephew, and try not to pull my hair out!

32. This past week we wrote about bread and families.

This week we are looking for submissions!!!!