Guest Bloggers are most welcome to diversify the range of views and experiences presented on this blog. The opinions of Guest Bloggers do not necessarily represent other bloggers on Feministe: differing voices are important to us. Readers are cordially invited to follow our guidelines to submit a Guest Post pitch for consideration.

1. Sally Archer
    Sally Archer June 22, 2013 at 9:09 pm |

In a world where the details of extreme male violence against females (girls and women) are regularly reported, it heartens me to read a guest piece suggesting that evolution may take the best of an individual father’s consciousness and pay it forward to future generations. Thank you for the excellence of your writing.

My mother, a product of southern USA femininity socialization, was unable to empower me to have my own voice. It was instead the sometimes crotchety, always opinionated but usually spot-on hypocrisy-busting of my father who modeled for me the ability to speak my mind, no matter how unpopular it might be, and also to be willing to change my mind as I saw more light.

For these reasons, I particularly resonate with the words of the guest blogger, and give thanks: “My father taught me to go against the grain. He taught me how to stand up for what you believe in, even if you’re the only one standing, because more often than not, once you stand, others will stand with you and appreciate you breaking the ice.”

Even if we respectfully agree to disagree with our opinions, by having them (our own opinions), we begin to open dialog by which hurts might heal. We can begin the discussions by which minds (including my own and yours) might open to a better consensus for the greater good as well as the individuals operating within global society.

2. The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
    The Kittehs' Unpaid Help June 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm |

Your dad sounds like one awesome human being, Guest Blogger. Thank you for posting this.

3. macavitykitsune
    macavitykitsune June 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm |

And now I’m beaming, because your dad totally sounds like my dad. I grew up in an island of egalitarian thought in the middle of a deeply fucked up family/friends/environment, and I credit my being a halfway functional human being largely to my dad breaking very consciously out of those fucked-up family dynamics and religious dogma and raising me as a Awesome Kid instead of Disgusting Female-Type Thing, like most of the women in my family grew up. I faced my share of shit, but I seriously could not have survived what I would have faced without his defense and his values.

So yeah. Here’s to awesome dads, seriously.

4. The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
    The Kittehs' Unpaid Help June 23, 2013 at 12:20 am |

Relatively minor among all the great things Guest Blogger’s dad has done, but I really loved this part:

While he loves his tools and is constantly reconstructing our family home, it’s not because of any need to display masculinity. He does it because he worships my mother and wants her to have anything he can create.

Mr Kittehs is like that, so this struck a very sweet chord! ::smiles big happy smiles::

5. GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne June 23, 2013 at 1:02 am |

Thanks for sharing. I am also lucky enough to have a father who got it right. A truly good man is a profoundly beautiful thing.

6. Athenia
    Athenia June 24, 2013 at 10:57 am |

Thank you for this! It really shows how care-giving just isn’t a woman’s issue–but issue that concerns everyone.

7. steven
    steven June 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm |

thank you. i am a straight white man who realizes his privilege, thanks mostly to feminist like you. keep up the good work. keep educating.