1. We’re trashing a teenager who is doing her civic duty and whose friend was murdered. Good job, everyone, you should be proud. No, she doesn’t speak like a 50-year-old white lawyer. But Rachel Jeantel is not on trial here, and the attacks on her are awful. Also, watching George Zimmerman’s defense lawyer hammer the fact that Trayvon Martin told Jeantel that he was being followed by a “creepy-ass cracker” in a transparent attempt to stoke some racial animus among white people who are deeply offended at being called “crackers” was pretty appalling.
2. This is a really good example of how to write an entirely sexist article about a female politician (thanks, xenu, for the link!). Here’s how it starts:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — As she spoke late into the night railing against proposed abortion restrictions, a former Texas teen mom catapulted from little-known junior state senator to national political superstar in pink running shoes.
I’m actually willing to forgive the mention of the pink running shoes, even though it’s a sexist cliche at this point to talk about what a female politician is wearing, only because they were pretty bright and it was a great and notable optic. But the lead doesn’t bother to use the woman’s name — which is Wendy Davis, by the way, and by now you’ve probably heard of her — instead referring to her as a “former Texas teen mom.” Davis is also a Harvard-trained lawyer, but never mind that. Teen mom!
And it continues:
Wendy Davis needed last-minute help from shrieking supporters to run out the clock on the special session of the state Legislature and kill the contentious and sweeping bill, but her old-fashioned filibuster earned her widespread praise from fellow abortion-rights supporters — including a salute from President Barack Obama.
Her supporters were shrieking because, you know, girls. The Beatles, Justin Bieber, abortion, whatever, those gals just scream their little heads off.
All this for a 50-year-old Harvard-trained attorney and one-time single mother from Fort Worth, who was once dismissed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry as a “show horse.” Until recently, Davis was perhaps best known for dating former Austin Mayor Will Wynn.
All this for a gal who has accomplished so little! Other than who she dated, of course.
UPDATE: comments on this post are now pre-moderated.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Wendy Davis and supporters shout down Texas abortion bill by Caperton June 26, 2013
- Breaking: Obama Reverses the Global Gag Rule by Cara January 23, 2009
- With Dr. Tiller’s clinic closed, anti-choicers lack a target by Jill June 8, 2009
- Teen pregnancy and abortion up for the first time in a decade. Thanks, abstinence-only education! by Jill January 26, 2010
- When there is no choice by Jill November 17, 2008