Selfless Signal-Boosting Wednesday

A complement to our long-standing Shameless Self-Promotion Sundays, this thread is for links to pieces on other people’s blogs that you have found memorable/provoking recently.  Please save the self-promotion links for this Sunday – use this thread to let Feministe readers know about the other blogs you love to read.

1. Ensure other readers have enough information about the post to make an informed choice on whether to click on your link. Content notes are advised for posts discussing problematic issues/incidents that might be NSFW or potentially distressing/triggering.
  2. Keep this thread focussed on the linking – the idea is to make your comments on the other blogs being linked! If you feel you must discuss it here, please take it to the Open or Spillover threads, depending on your assessment of its zombie stoush potential.

About tigtog

tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in irregular flurries @vivsmythe.
This entry was posted in Life, Politics, Popular Culture, Recommended, The Cultural Canon and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Selfless Signal-Boosting Wednesday

1. Jem says:

I read a couple of very interesting piece this week on pop culture archetypes and how women try – or don’t – to live up to them

Laurie Penny’s I Was A Manic Pixie Dream Girl

and Hazel Robinson’s response – I Was A Teenage Dark Elf Priestess

2. Heather at Fierce, Freethinking Fatties writes about her invisible disabilities.

Pearlsong Press is giving away an e-book free for five days to encourage people to learn about weight bias in light of the AMA’s recent decision to call “obesity” a disease.

Bethany, an amazing writer who I met through IRL climate activism, writes about the holiness of the wild, the false separation between woods and not-woods, and taking inspiration from nature.

3. Willard says:

Ahead: Homophobia, transphobia, as she says, both mostly in the comments section

Zoe O’Connell’s round up of coverage following a judgement in the UK denying the appeal of a trans man convicted of committing sex-by-deception.

• gratuitous_violet says:

Thank you for this. The movie starting off with Tonto in a museum is just such fuckery. It makes me think of how every year I have to remind US history/gov students to not refer to Native Americans in the past tense constantly while writing. No wonder kids need to actually be told that Native people exist outside of museums.

• Wow, this movie didn’t just want a racist bingo, it apparently needed a blackout.

• KittySnide says:

thank you! I’ve been bugged by this movie since the first teasers and photos started to show up, and now I’m getting frustrated with all the facebook statuses of “So good! Loved this movie!” and “What, KittySnide, why would you think this movie is racist?”
      for fuck’s sake. thanks for this link, it says everything I was trying to and more.

• Tim says:

Adreinne K. is awesome. I have actually kind of been eager to see TLR open, not because I wanted to see it (Dog help me!), but because I knew she would, and would write about it, and I wanted to read what she wrote. Is that wrong somehow?

And for seeing it so I don’t have to (not that I would have anyway) I am also grateful to her.

4. gratuitous_violet says:

I was really moved this week by this piece at Crunk Feminist Collective connecting empire, colonialism, sexuality, online dating site assholes, and our (collective us) treatment of Rachel Jeantal. (so, content note for all those things!)

5. Nancy Green says:

Eco-Mothering How to build a solar oven for your Girl Scout Troop
    They Call Me Oystergirl Paleo diet and unconventional parenting
    Hodge Paintings National Parks residencies for artists

6. N45 says:

New blog about/for poc in uk media it will promote writers of colour & challenge homogeneity. Also on twitter @WritersOfColour with a “u” for Americans & @KateDaddie

7. tigtog says:

This has been linked all over this week, but for those who haven’t already seen it, actor LeVar Burton and author Tim Wise explain the differences in their interactions with police.