Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Anna says:

Why Gardasil?
    1) Because it provides better protection against HPV than condoms.
    2) Because HPV can’t be definitively tested for in STD screenings.
    3) Because it protects us from the HPV strains responsible for the majority of genital warts and cervical and anal cancers.
    4) Because if enough of us are vaccinated, we can wipe these viral strains off the face of the earth!

A lot of us have reasons for avoiding the vaccine, but HPV is easier to contract than you might think. Read on for some myth-busting — you might learn something new!

2. scopophilia says:

I reviewed Zal Batmanglij’s new film The East:

and chose 5 interesting links of the week:

3. I am trying to warn other women about a dangerous birth center in utah because I am basically out of legal options after having been abused there during my labor. You basically aren’t allowed to say ‘no’ when you are a pregnant woman, you aren’t in charge of what happens to your body. I was mistreated when I transferred to a hospital too. Please use my account as a cautionary tale about the state of pregnancy care in america today.

I tried to get help from the natural birth community, and although they are sorry they aren’t willing to do anything to improve the accountability for midwives. I went to anti-natural birth people and they don’t seem to care about the abuses I suffered in the hospital. I am hoping feminists are going to care about this.

• PrettyAmiable says:

I’m so sorry this happened to you. I don’t know much about childbirth (never had a kid and don’t really have concrete plans to do so), but there’s no way any of that is acceptable. If there’s anything I can do (letter-writing?), please let me know.

• you can write to let her know how disgusted you are with her aiding a sexual predator. I have tried to get the midwives college to revoke their privileges as a clinical education center but no one there seems to care. I have a few posts up with links to their email addresses and to my petition.

thank you for your concern.

4. canbebitter says:

This week I hosted the 63rd Down Under Feminists Carnival – lots of great feminist writing from Australia & New Zealand from the month of July!

5. I reject the notion that strength (verbal of physical) should be seen as a masculine trait. Just because a quality has been used to reinforce oppression doesn’t mean that its the sole property of the oppressor.

The renewed discussion of “leaning in” and “opting out” is giving me whiplash. Whether you are leaned in, opted out, or shaking it all about, we need to see women’s workplace decisions as more than a snapshot in time.

6. Nancy Green says:

The Archbishop of film got away with raping a child, and claimed martyrdom to a Puritanical America. The 60’s press called her ‘Lolita’, a dirty joke. Her name is Samantha Geimer and now she is speaking out–
    Polanski Exposed- Victim Breaks Silence

7. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I write a post on Rose Wilder Lane’s book “Let The Hurricane Roar.”

Lane (as most of us know) is Laura Ingall’s Wilder’s less famous daughter, and this book is (among other things) her rejection of FDR’s New Deal. I talk about this and other feature of the novel in “Going Galt on the Prairie.”

Also this week a lighter post, featuring a conversation between me and my kid: “O Ogden Nash NO!”

And finally! A post about a FB discussion I had with an ex-student, concerning anti-choice propaganda, and some thoughts it led to: “It’s Only Natural! Or, Why Would You Take A Pill When You’re Not Sick?”

8. I wrote about how I would have styled Gabourey Sidibe if I’d been her stylist, rather than the terrible, tokenizing job that Harper’s Bazaar did.

9. scopophilia says:

I reviewed Zal Batmanglij’s new film The East:

and chose 5 interesting links of the week:

10. Aydan says:

This week I wrote about four ways Christian incorrectly perceive asexuals, and a response to a conservative Christian blogger who trotted out the old “childfree people are selfish” canard.

11. Hello!

My new blog is called New Beginnings, and it helps people transition to new life stages and make fresh starts in life. I especially like to feature women who have handled a transition, and who are willing to share how they coped!

This quick, easy interview via email is intended to help readers handle stressful new beginnings – and if you have a blog or website, you may get a boost in traffic.

The link is above; feel free to read my request for interviewees and comment on my blog if you’re interested.

Stay true to you,

12. Debbi says:

This week on Kiss My Wonder Woman, we talked about a whole bunch of stuff, including:

Joss Whedon’s Fray reminds us what heroes are
    Hemlock Grove really isn’t worth watching
    2 Guns was horrifically sexist and made me sad
    Strong Female Character Friday, featuring Audrey from Twin Peaks

Tune in next week for a review of Uglies, Percy Jackson, and presumably some other stuff as well.

13. Miri says:

I wrote this guide to being a responsible devil’s advocate (if you must) when it comes to sensitive issues.

I also wrote about why people who want sexual harassers to get off easy so that they get a “learning opportunity” are wrong (TW for sexual harassment).

Finally, I wrote a two-part post about strawman arguments against rape culture (TW for sexual assault): here’s part one and here’s part two.

14. Katie Casey says:

Admittedly crazy conservative shenanigans happen all the time in Virginia, but Ken Cuccinelli’s campaign against sodomy is really bizarre legally even by our standards.

15. Have you heard of the new Museum of Transgender Hirstory & Art?

The grandmother of performance art, Marina Abromavić, collaborated with the queen of pop, Lady Gaga, to create a short performance video. What do you think, is Abromavić pandering to the masses or evolving with the artistic landscape?

And last but not least, I’d like to introduce Female Gaze Friday! Every Friday I will post a work of art created by a woman and depicting a man. Kicking it off is video artist Isabel Rocamora with Body of War.

• Donna L says:

the majority of transgender people identify as artists,

Excuse me?

• Donna L says:

OK, I see that you got this from the museum’s website. Which doesn’t make any more credible.

• I pulled it directly from the museum’s official letter. Does that lack credibility? I worked at a museum this summer and everything we wrote had to be fact checked by at least three departments–I assumed anything published by The Museum of Transgender Hirstory & Art would follow the same standards.

I can remove it! I can’t tell from your comment if saying the majority of transgender people identify as artists is offensive or not. I just wanted to convey the museum director’s provided information on the number of self-identified transgender artists compared to representation in museums.

Thanks for the help!

• I would recommend contacting the museum to get their source on that statement. It’s not impossible I guess…The last Ace census turned up some odd statistics, like 20% of aces being non-cis.

• Good idea! I’m leaving a question on their facebook page; hopefully they’ll answer soon :)

• Donna L says:

No, it’s not offensive; it’s just a very strange contention. I am always skeptical of claims that trans people, in general, have certain qualities — positive or negative — with extraordinarily greater frequency than cis people. What I would guess is that it’s something based on a self-selected survey for which the questionnaires were available at a handful of particular locations (for example, at trans clinics or drop-in centers in San Francisco), extrapolated into something that’s supposedly true for all trans people everywhere.

• That makes sense. For now I’ll change the wording to note that this is what the museum claims. I’ll let you guys know if/when the museum answers my question!

16. Jem Bloomfield says:

I wrote a couple of pieces which might be of interest, in response to recent events:

The Problem With Male Feminists –

Rape Threats: It’s A Free Speech Issue
    (Content note: the latter makes reference to misogynistic threats of violence)

17. Blind Labyrinth says:

We’ve written a song about the controversy regarding paranormal investigator Karen Stollznow and her sexual harasser, Benjamin Radford. Since Mr. Radford was found guilty of sexual harassment by the Center for Inquiry where they both worked, we’re wondering why Mr. Radford still has a job.

Blind Labyrinth

18. Miranda says:

How some children’s traditional martial arts programs render kids more, not less, vulnerable to abuse.

19. Work ate my week (a 12 hour day and a 24 hour one).

So, all I have is a Thursday in pictures, including one of your faithful correspondent.

20. What do you use for an adjective, Woman or Female? This Woman says Women.

Does religious fasting raise feminist concerns? I respond to an article posted at Feminism and Religion in Fasting as Embodied Prayer.

21. Fiona says:

Some of my thoughts on my “fake geek girl” meme, from the perspective of actually having been one: I was a fake geek girl.

• I’m not disputing it if you don’t feel you were a geek girl, but the idea that you have to be into all things geeky or get all the references isn’t true. There are plenty of geeks that only like one ‘geeky’ thing, like science fiction novels, or video games, or whatever.

22. This week at Yes Means Yes Blog:

Taking Statutory Rape Seriously. I’m against grown-ups having sex with kids in their early teens. Obviously, this is a position publicly supported and tacitly opposed by a lot of grown-ups. But I was surprised to find folks showing up saying, essentially, “well, I had sex with adults when I was in school, so it must be okay …” I don’t think much of this argument as a public policy stance. CN for the post: victim-blame-a-palooza. CN for the comments as noted above.

• The way you talked to Anne was shitty and probably deserves a Content Note all of it’s own. I’m not in agreement with her arguments either but your denial of the way a woman felt about her experiences and changing her experiences to “when you got fucked” is gross, especially since according to your arguments, she’s a rape victim.

Your insistence that the times you were fucked by grown men as a minor were positive experiences does not alter my policy position.

Fucking fail.

• You deliberately picked that word, didn’t you, because saying “raped” would have meant she was a victim, and might have been entitled to your respect re: her experiences, and saying “slept with” would have acknowledged that she felt she was a full participant in a consensual act.

So you had to go with “you were fucked” and reduce her to a passive, ignorant object. Ugh. Nice job not apologizing either, even when she pointed out that she (as do I, and many other women) feel that it’s an aggressive and demeaning wording, which it definitely was in this context.

23. Demetria says:

Hi Folks! I am a Femmenist Lifestyle Coach and Liberation Strategist who works primarily, but not exclusively, with black women and femmes who are feeling disconnected from themselves and want to be of service to their community without feeling compromised. I use my own personal cocktail of feminist philosophy, transformative justice principles and personal development strategies to help them create a unique and liberating spiritual life and practice.

If you want to know more about the coaching process, feel free to contact me. Thanks!

24. alynn says:

This week I wrote about when people view online activism as not “real.”

25. I don’t want to promote myself per se – but I do kind of feel that this dude who wrote me a… fan letter ought to be promoted. He’s just amazing. And sparkly.

… And I would be wrong to say that fan mail like this doesn’t get me down sometimes. I can usually afford to ignore it. But something struck a chord there. Perhaps it was him waxing poetic on the right amount of domestic violence I “deserve”? Dunno.

• Radiant Sophia says:

Natalia, I think, given what I have seen, you may be a troll-magnet. Your trolls are always so… extreme. I’m sorry you have that happen to you.

26. Athenia says:

If you want an example of the male gaze and xenophobia, I analyzed an old Dateline clip about Sailor Moon. It’s interesting how the reporter is all “concerned” about sexualization, but then goes ahead and sexualizes and minimizes the female heroes.