tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in flurries @vivsmythe.

1. z
    z August 28, 2013 at 8:12 pm |

Not to mention harassing and getting people who talk about harm minimization procedures booted out of conferences?

2. Echo Zen
    Echo Zen August 28, 2013 at 9:37 pm |

Huh… we’re on similar wavelengths. The bloggers at the UnSlut Tumblr are planning a documentary on slut-shaming and bullying, and are trying to raise enough Kickstarter funds by next Wed to launch. There’s a chance I might even help with their technical side of things, having directed advocacy ads in the past, so…

Here’s the Kickstarter for anyone curious: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unslutproject/slut-a-documentary-film

3. Donna L
    Donna L August 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm |

Tigtog, that’s a great article. I happen to have met a couple of the people mentioned in the section on the anti-harassment campaign with respect to science fiction and fantasy cons, so I’ve been following that for the last year or two. I’m very glad that it’s been so effective, and not only in that specific area.

The only people I’ve heard of who’ve gotten kicked out of conferences have deserved it. Although I have no idea what z is referring to.

1. z
      z August 29, 2013 at 12:54 am |

I’ve expanded and clarified as per instructions by the OP in #spillover here. http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2013/08/26/spillover-8/#comment-669234

4. Tara
    Tara August 29, 2013 at 7:08 am |

I’m not sure if it’s the sort of thing you had in mind, but some friends and I are currently raising money for the Chatterbox Challenge (https://chatterboxmime.everydayhero.com/au/uon-lions-club).

Essentially it’s an event thought up by a group of 7 Australian disability charities. The two main goals are: 1 – to raise awareness of and show solidarity for disabled voices in the community, and 2 – to raise money for the disability-specific services provided by the charities like visits from nurses/carers to help people live more independently.

The idea is a bit cheesy and gimmicky – to go a day without speaking and ‘give up one’s voice’ to promote voices that are not usually heard. But I like the charities (including Life Without Barriers, the people who run Lifeline, and others). I also plan on tweeting a lot of links to work by disabled people in the lead up to double down on giving those people a signal boost. Some suggestions of awesome writers would be great too to add to my list!

5. Julia
    Julia August 29, 2013 at 10:14 am |

I’m part of the volunteer staff of Shameless magazine, a youth-focused, trans-inclusive feminist magazine with an anti-oppressive mandate based in Canada (we distribute internationally!). We’re working on an ongoing campaign to make our work and our publication more sustainable. Please check out the “Hall of Shameless” and consider donating and/or circulating to your networks!

Since 2004, Shameless magazine has been a fresh alternative to typical teen media. Shameless is a magazine for young women and trans youth who want more from life than makeup and diet tips. From day one, Shameless has been publishing on 100% pure volunteer power. But to keep publishing this independent magazine, full of the smart, sassy content so many have come know and love, we need your help.