Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Nine says:

Thanks, Feministe! This week The Toast published my article on the July murder of a sex worker in Sweden and how this ties in with Sweden’s crusade against sex work: Something Rotten In The State Of Sweden.

2. Helen says:

A few thoughts on why surveillance is a feminist issue and some of the implications for feminist activism:

3. Femicide: Commemorating UK women killed through suspected male violence January – August 2013

4. I wrote:

An update on my life (with some political commentary/analysis)
    On golden retrievers, potential energy, and tired feet: about wanting to make it to a climate justice action in my area, but being unable because my current temp job uses up all my energy
    -and my weekly links roundup, where people are welcome to self-promote as well.

5. Hello on a wonderful Labor Day Sunday!! I just released a book on my journey to become a journeywoman electrician in New York. My first volume covers my 5 year apprenticeship during my 17 year career in the construction field. My website has my blog that gives the reader an idea of what to expect. The website also provides the link to the book that is available on Amazon. I thank you for your time! Sincerely, Leslie M Jasper

6. Sue says:

One of my more popular posts this week was a quick one I put up about FOX News using the Aerosmith song “Dude Looks Like a Lady” in reference to Chelsea Manning. They completely misunderstood the point of the song.

I also tried to sum up what the big federal wins on marriage equality this week mean for those of us in states like PA

7. Thank you, Feministe.

Rugged individualism is a popular theme spread daily on social media platforms such as Facebook by people on the left, by feminists and anti-racists and others fighting against the injustices of the capitalist economy. Clearly well-meaning, they disseminate inspiration memes that nevertheless reinforce victim-blaming, deify the cult of the individual and erase the experiences of most of the world.

I also do a very short snarky humour piece on an Australian white conservative politician who is campaigning against the burqa.

• mandassassin says:

Hiya – I’d love to read your posts, but your links seem to broken, and I can’t find an “” either. :(

8. Nancy Green says:

Was the doctor holding the inkblots upside down? I think I flunked my Rorschach test…
    Rorschach Test Anxiety

9. Athenia says:

In the final season of Sailor Moon, there are three characters who are women but transform into men. There’s a particularly interesting scene where our heroes have discovered this “secret” and must confront their heterosexuality and their gender expectations. I think there are a few parallels to issues facing the trans community in this scene. Let me know what you think! I hope I got it right. ^_^

Sailor Moon Says: Treat Trans People with Dignity!

10. Tori says:

Appropriate Coverage — On dress codes, ambiguity, body types, power, and shame.

11. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote a review exploring my ambiguous feelings toward Neil Gaiman’s The Ocean At the End of the Lane.

Also, another post about a conversation with my kid: “Further Conversations With My Kid.”

12. Feminema says:

All of us who are self-conscious about how our voices might affect or detract from our authority as women should see Lake Bell’s new film, In A World…. I explain why in:

See this film: In a World… (2013)

13. BroadBlogs says:

Hi. I haven’t been able to post on this for a couple of weeks. Here are a couple of posts I’ve done in the last month:

Why are some guys so threatened by women who stick up for themselves?

“Who’s Afraid of a Feminist? And Why?”

And I am still amazed at how many people still blame the victim for rape. Really, would anyone ask for this?

“She Asked For It?”

14. Anna says:

This summer, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona sent four University of Arizona students to the Youth Organizing and Policy Conference in Washington, D.C. Meet the gals who represented Arizona at this gathering, and learn how it inspired them!

15. Jem says:

One from me on reality TV, what it does to our sense of self, and why a show about baking unexpectedly impressed me.

• BBBShrewHarpy says:

Thank you. I read this yesterday morning and when I got to the head-measuring stuff, my half-digested breakfast nearly ended up on the paper.

• All Cats Are Beautiful says:

Thanks for this post, Clarissa, but I really think you should’ve added a TW/content note at least in your comment here on feministe (e.g. for child trafficking, child abuse and force-feeding, self-harm, murder, ableism/mental health or the like).

And seconding BBBShrewHarpy. I can’t even explain how much that part about the head-measuring stuff disgusted me as a jewish russian crazy person. I wish I hadn’t read this today.

16. This week’s Female Gaze Friday features feminist painter Sylvia Sleigh’s At the Turkish Bath, a gender reversed version of Ingres’s The Turkish Bath. Sleigh was well known for her sensual paintings of male nudes.

17. Jess says:

Here’s what we’ve been up to at House of Flout. Thanks for reading!

Leveling the Playing Field: A Response to ESPN’s Branded (part of the Nine for Title IX series)

We Need to Talk About: Fistula

Jenji Kohan Reminds Us Why TV is Still Pretty White

18. Debbi says:

This week on Kiss My Wonder Woman:

A review of City of Bones
    Firefly as an examination of class structures
    Strong Female Character Friday, with Paris from Gilmore Girls

And coming up this week, a review of Elysium, maybe finally a Dollhouse review, and probably some other stuff too.

19. Kathy says:

A brief response to singer Neko Case’s disappointing comments about feminism. (Content note: gendered slur in the quote)

20. Damiane says:

I finally caught up on some of my older reviews. This time it’s Divergent, another YA dystopia. This one is slated to be made into a movie with a 2014 release.

21. ***Trigger warning***

In light of recent news regarding the Montana judge and a UK judge who suggested two teenage survivors of rape were ‘sexual predators’, we blogged about men, rape and self-control

22. delagar says:

A little late, but here’s my Labor Day Post!

“But Why Is It Called Labor Day?”

23. Karen Clayton says:

Even later, but here goes. My middle grade urban fantasy novel, Mason Davis and the Rise of the Storm Makers, just today became available on the French Amazon website. It is currently available for purchase on Amazon US and UK as well as Barnes and Nobles. My 10 year old son helped me write the novel and provided a humorous and unique voice.