A few links from the last few months:
- [Content Note: descriptions of sexual assault, denial and trivialisation of sexual assault]
Angus Johnston posts on the latest pushback against the verdicts in the Steubenville rape – Richard Cohen Lies About the SteubenVille Rape.
- [Content Note: graphic descriptions of sexual assault and injuries sustained thereby, denial and trivialisation of sexual assault, victim-blaming, misconduct and abuse by police investigators]
EEB guest-posts at Almost Diamonds about her own assault and how when she reported in the way she had been taught was proper she was simply not believed – I Am a False Rape Allegation Statistic.
- [Content Note: descriptions of sexual assault, denial and trivialisation of sexual assault, victim-blaming, misconduct and abuse by police investigators]
EEB’s post prompted Dana Hunter to post about the misunderstanding and misuse of statistics regarding false rape allegations – One Reason Why False Rape Allegation Statistics Are So High.
- [Content Note: descriptions of sexual assault , denial and trivialisation of sexual assault, victim-blaming, homophobic abuse and misconduct by police]
Josh Spokesgay posts at More Than Men about why he didn’t report being raped at age 17 – Last Night.
- [Content Note: denial and trivialisation of sexual assault, descriptions of victim-blaming, misconduct during investigative procedures]
Across the country, colleges are under fire for using antiquated and amateurish procedures to prevent and investigate rapes and other sexual assaults on campus – College Serial Rapists Evade Antiquated Campus Responses
- [Content Note: rape myths, descriptions of victim-blaming, romanticising sexual assault]
One final link that’s older (2012) but very powerful and comprehensive from Latoya Peterson at Racialicious regarding the media messages we all consume – Some Notes On Rape Culture
Rape culture is why we have to treat random men on the street like Schrodinger’s Rapist. Because we don’t know. And we can’t know.
If you’re noticing a pattern to the most comment elements in those content notes on these posts about rape culture – “denial and trivialisation of sexual assault, victim-blaming, misconduct and abuse by police investigators” – that might just be because these are some of the strongest planks underpinning the rape culture platform. In combination with other toxic cognitive-bias defense mechanisms they combine to repeatedly give doubters an array of reasons to deem any particular accuser as inherently unrapeable (at least right then) because they weren’t a perfect enough victim according to the status quo’s narrow rape myth scripts, and therefore to conclude that no “rape-rape” occurred.
I’m sure most readers have seen more examples published in recent months, or know of examples personally. Please do add your links and, if you want/can, share your stories in the comments, because continuing documentation of these toxic social phenomena is crucial in persuading people that a problem actually exists, which is the first step in building momentum for reform.
Moderator note: this blog’s contributors firmly stand by the positions that rape culture exists and that false rape allegations are vastly overstated when in fact they are no more common than false allegations of any other crime (see Dana’s post linked above). The fundamentals of these positions are not open for debate on this thread, because we’ve heard all the counterarguments before and they just derail the beyond-101 discussion that we want to see happening here (strawman misrepresentations of the Schrodinger’s Rapist post are especially tedious). Comments arguing otherwise on this thread will be redacted (if they make it out of the mod queue at all). Commentors who are determined to argue otherwise somewhere on Feministe may take their arguments to the #spillover thread (see sidebar links) where they will be given the consideration they deserve.
Image Credit: index-page thumbnail is a screenshot from a Pepe Le Pew cartoon, where relentlessly stalking and blithely assaulting a woman who has consistently indicated refusal and who is obviously fearful for her safety is presented over and over and over again as obviously hilarious, just a bit of fun, and nothing that anybody should be getting upset about. She should be flattered!
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- So what went wrong for the slut-shamers? by Echo Zen September 10, 2015
- Today in Is The WORST: Stop Reading Cathy Young by tigtog February 6, 2015
- Shorter Dawkins: Real Feminists Agree With Me by tigtog September 12, 2014
- Don’t make apologetics if you don’t want to be called an apologist by tigtog September 11, 2013
- People are awful: #JusticeForJada leads to more cyberbullying and Hobart and William Smith Colleges’ football priorities by tigtog July 13, 2014