tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in irregular flurries @vivsmythe.

1. Angie unduplicated
    Angie unduplicated September 4, 2013 at 8:48 am |

Wow, everyone’s disappeared. The Man spotlights the rare false complaint and dramatizes it, while refusing to prosecute it for fraud, so that rape culture can get off the hook for all of its actual rapes. I’m subbing for Captain Obvious today. Cops are lazy bastards too, and will label anyrhing, notably burglaries and illegal entries, as false complaints. This gets them out of a bunch of work and enables rape culture to prep for perpetration.
    Sideline: it’s Dead Rapist Day. Ariel Castro is out of our midst. Celebrate freedom for his former captives.

2. Rango
    Rango September 4, 2013 at 9:26 am |

[Moderator note: Comment content has been deleted. Do not equateuse rape withas a metaphor for any phenomenon that is not rape on this blog.]

3. Rango
    Rango September 4, 2013 at 9:29 am |

[Moderator note: Comment content has been deleted. Repeating the note above, and adding that debating the existence of rape culture is not on topic for this thread. Take it to #spillover or drop it.]

4. whistlewren
    whistlewren September 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm |

EEB’s story is heartbreaking. Thanks for this link round-up.

(CN for discussion of rape/victim blaming)

I would be hard-pressed to find a single female friend who has not been sexually aassaulted. Only one friend has ever reported it though, and her experience was less than pleasant. Small town gossip provided constant scrutiny, with the typical victim blaming BS being touted: she had already slept with him before that night anyway, she was drunk, she should have been at home with her kids anyway instead of out partying… It was awful. And the constant questioning if she ‘really wanted to go through with it’. Not because it would mean repeating the details of a rape, but because it would ruin the perpetrators life.

5. Alexandra
    Alexandra September 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm |

I was just talking to a friend earlier today about how one of the colleges I attended transferred a male student to another campus after three women came forward together, as a group, to notify the administration that he had sexually assaulted and raped them. They just transferred him to another campus, like the fucking Catholic Church with pedophile priests.

I have been having horrible goddamn flashbacks since that conversation to my own experience, where the campus’s so-called sexual assault counselor told me I was just being uptight, and that I should have a private conversation with my rapist about how I wasn’t happy we’d have sex. At that private meeting, he raped me again. I was sixteen, and had never so much as kissed anyone before him. I haven’t had a successful relationship since in my life – every time I try to be intimate with a man, I freeze up and dissociate, and I haven’t had a relationship with a woman yet, just little flings.

Now I am at work, and instead of working I am checking Feministe because I cannot focus or keep my mind straight. Seven years later, and still I have no justice and no peace; and the university I attended discouraged friend after friend from seeking justice, because they wanted to keep their crime stats low.

I have the opportunity to get in touch with a lawyer building a class action lawsuit against this college. Part of me wants to say – yes! yes! – and part of me knows that seven years later, with no evidence, no witnesses, and no allies, living 3000 miles away, there’s almost nothing I could do, really, except tear my heart into pieces again. I don’t know what I’ll do, except keep on grieving for the girl I was, and the woman I might have been; and try to be the best person I can be every day, despite the fact that there is this still-unhealed wound I live with.

6. Tony
    Tony September 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm |

I can’t get through another story about rape. Just can’t. I know there’s important stuff going on right on, there’s another horrible story from the Navy in the news today. I could be researching, I could be writing more diaries on Daily Kos. I could be making more calls to my representatives. Somewhere inside me I want to, I want to be a better ally. An effective one. It’s just too hard to read painful stories again and again when it seems like nothing ever changes.

The most depressing thing is that when one of the front pagers on Daily Kos tries to write about military rape, I saw a self proclaimed military lawyer trying to argue things like ‘the conviction rate in the military is no lower than in the civilian world, therefore nothing’s wrong!’ Passionately! making these arguments. On a supposedly far left site. It’s pretty demoralizing.

Flavia talked about feeling like a “merchant of pain or death” in her #sifww post and that’s how some of the rape stories on HuffPo seem these days. Like they’re just trying to find the saddest, most outrageous story for clicks. I really appreciate those that have the stamina to be deeply involved in this issue day in and day out- and I know that for a lot it’s not a choice at all. Does anyone have any positive stories about fighting back against Rape Culture to share?