Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Hi, I’ve been reading Feministe articles for a long time but never had the nerve to comment.

I’m writing a novel entitled Leah Far-Sighted, which is an intersectional feminist critique of Supernatural starring queer women of color. The first draft of the back-cover text, the tag to follow for daily progress reports and snippets (I won’t have time for NaNoWriMo in November, so I’m doing it in September instead), and encouragement and comments are very welcome.

2. Also, my weekly links roundup, where people are welcome to self-promote as well.

3. What does Miley Cyrus get wrong about borrowing elements from other cultural groups that parody artists don’t?

I find myself hanging out with a very diverse group of friends, as far as dietary needs go. How do you throw a dinner party for vegans, vegetarians, omnivores, and paleo eaters?

I respond to Mrs. Hall letter to teenage girls on Facebook. Long before Facebook ever existed, some parents demanded their children “delete” me for my clothing choices, too. I hope I can teach my own daughter more compassion.

4. Sue says:

I wrote about the origin & evolution of the local LGBTQ Community Center info and referral phone line

The mystery of the missing Domestic Partner Registry was resolved thanks to a pushy lesbian (ahem) – it was in the basement! Everything is under control they say. Sigh.

For fun, I listed the things I like to do in the autumn months.

5. Andie says:

FYI (if you’re a nosy asshole)

My admittedly sarcastic and defensive response to mrs. Hal’s letter to teen girls.

6. BroadBlogs says:

Too often both women and men confuse looking sexual with being sexual. Not surprising in a society that so often judges women by how well they conform to a narrowly defined cultural ideal. Pretty sad to limit women’s sexual enjoyment and autonomy in this way. It’s something that I had internalized in the past, and can still struggle with. Hence, my interest in writing this post:

Looking Sexual vs Being Sexual

7. Mother X says:

I wrote about back to school hell (when your kid is gone).

And life after Olivia: “In the empty passenger seat next to me, I see my teenager kicking off flip flops and putting her small, dirty feet up on the dashboard, splotches of blue nail polish in the center of each tiny nail on each adorable little square toe.”

Here’s the link: ttp://www.thenotebooksofmotherx.com/archives/481

8. Mother X says:

In a second post, I wrote: “‘Parenting is, by definition, co-dependent,’ my therapist said to me more than once as I watched myself become obsessed with the overwhelming job of trying to do what I could to keep my kid safe.”

“Olivia and I have struggled to fathom each other’s angst, and faced with her desire to fall asleep and never wake up, my anxiety increased, becoming a toxic cocktail laced with adrenaline and dread that the morning would come when I couldn’t rouse her. ”

9. Tori says:

I wrote I’m not interested in functioning about quality of life and chronic pain.

10. I wrote a thing! Or rather, reposted an essay I wrote in the winter. It’s on Doctor Who (specifically, “Midnight”), and race and gender dynamics in the episode with regard to muted group theory. The essay is here. Feedback welcome, here or there! (I know DW is not terribly anon-friendly at times.)

11. arakeala says:

I wrote about shaving one’s legs, and how people will claim that it’s a completely free choice that anyone is free to not take, then in the next breath inform you that you’ll never get a job or a boyfriend if you go about your life with hairy legs

12. Anna says:

It’s Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month! Observe the occasion by learning about the causes, symptoms, and risk factors of ovarian cancer. Plus, learn how birth control pills can decrease risk!

As a special bonus, I promise to describe ovulation in a way you’ve never seen before.

* * *

Also, if you happen to live in the Phoenix area, you might be interested to know that Planned Parenthood Arizona (Central Phoenix) now offers primary care services.

13. Wiley says:

Already promoted this in the middle of last week, but posting it again b/c I was three days late to the thread!

Please Understand Me

There’s also other amazing stuff up on DDP including a piece on feminist science fiction and a response to an article claiming women “don’t want” equality.

14. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I wrote a post on the central problem with the Conservative quest for Conservative art: “Conservative Art, Conservative Notions of Culture.”

15. Blogged over here about slaves and comedy!

“I don’t understand. How do you have a show?”

Thank you!

16. A post on Shahzia Sikander, a Pakistani-American artist credited with bringing a resurgence in miniature painting. Her work with video, animation, and performance brings a contemporary twist to Indo-Persian miniatures.

The Museum of Fine Arts Boston is currently exhibiting She Who Tells a Story, a show featuring twelve women photographers from Iran and the Arab world.

And check out this week’s Female Gaze Friday: In Shizuka Yokomizo’s Dear Stranger project the artist sends a mysterious letter, asking strangers to stand in front of their window for ten minutes at night to be photographed.

17. Chas says:

First time I’m commenting here, even though I’ve checked this site out for lord knows how long.

I’m currently working on a pilot for a cartoon that could use support from people. The main character is a teenage sorceress working and her job as a potion-maker. A mix of fantasy and cartoon comedy, based on a comic book I did.

I think some of the readers may find it interesting. I realize that not many cartoons have girl protagonists, so here’s hoping this can help.

Here’s the link. Be sure to watch the video!

18. Debbi says:

This week on Kiss My Wonder Woman:

Oz the Great and Powerful Is Super Racist
    Dollhouse Should Be Called Consent Issues, the Musical
    Strong Female Character Friday, with Dr. Saunders from Dollhouse

This upcoming week we’re going to be talking about Iron Man 3, continuing our Dollhouse series, and also other things as well I assume.

19. Mostly Frivolous this week:
    Jello Worms for parties or gross snacks.

Political commentary, vaguely Syria-ish.

And pictures from Mephit Furmeet. (Any warnings you want about furries) Including a picture of me, exposing most of my figure flaws in a dress.

20. Aydan says:

I wrote “I Am Not Anyone’s Complement,” about a particular flawed argument about gender often used in conservative Christian circles.

21. Jess says:

Warning: discussion of female genital mutilation/cutting and male circumcision

I read a lot about Cliteracy this week — a NY artist’s amazing campaign get us to talk about and understand the clitoris — and I wanted to delve into what I see as the campaign’s most necessary, direct impact: spreading information about clit repair surgery for FGM/C victims.

I also wrote about Pennsylvania’s Bruce Hanes, a county clerk who decided to start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite the state’s ban, and why more local officials need to follow his lead.

22. Last week I completed and submitted a first draft of chapter two of my thesis, and posted a Wordle based on its text.

And I celebrated my second blogiversary! :)

23. Damiane says:

This week I wrote about what it’s like to work on a self-published novel that actually makes it to that final step of publication.

24. Athenia says:

If you watched Sailor Moon in North America when you were a kid, you would have known it as just Sailor Moon, but in fact, the full Japanese name is Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. So, this series has a lot to say about “pretty.” So to that end:

Does Sailor Moon Promote Fat Hatred?

25. MissX says:

Kay Hymowitz strikes again. In a new article, ”Do Women Really Want Equality?“, the author of a book with a sensationalist title – Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Is Turning Men Into Boys – is trying to convince us that women don’t really want equality. Her article is peppered by the statistics of the gender gap in various fields and professions, yet her tone is very dismissive. While offering no counter-statistics or rebuttal, she skirts the issue by saying that numbers are just that and don’t tell the whole story.

26. Kyosuke says:

Heterosexual Cisgender Queering of Transgender Sexuality

Answering the charge that the LGB and T are too different to have a coordinated civil rights movement:

“Ultimately, it is this heterosexual, cisgender queering of transgender sexuality (regardless of how the individuals themselves identify) which is the strongest argument in support of maintaining a unified front in the modern civil rights debate.”

27. Rachel says:

I wrote a rebuttal to a Time Ideas piece entited “Do Women Really Want Equality?”

Check it out here :)