[Content note: links to material discussing rape culture, victim blaming, rape myths, sexual harassment]
There’s a fellow over at Jason Thibeault’s blog (Lousy Canuck on FreeThoughtBlogs) who haz a sad because he felt singled out by mention of how nice it might be to have an Index of Rape-Apologist Claims for easy reference. This was Jason’s response to alandeon2’s plaint that he’s “certainly not a “rape apologist”“:
If you tried to justify literal interpretations of a 6000-year-old Earth, I’d call you a religious apologist. If you try to justify a system that lets people get away with rape by suggesting that it’s not rape if she’s drunk and it’s all her fault for being drunk anyway, I’m going to call you a rape apologist.
Don’t make apologetics for the rape culture we live in if you don’t want to be called a rape apologist.
Jason’s comment above is #105 on his post documenting a timeline of sexual harassment accusations in the skeptical and secular communities since May 2012, which is part of the continuing sexism and misogyny fallout in those communities, ever since Rebecca Watson said “Guys, don’t do that”, in case you weren’t already aware that that particular cyberstorm is still raging on.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- Shorter Dawkins: Real Feminists Agree With Me by tigtog September 12, 2014
- Rape Culture in Action Round-Up by tigtog September 3, 2013
- And just when you thought the Good Men Project couldn’t get any worse… by Jill December 10, 2012
- So what went wrong for the slut-shamers? by Echo Zen September 10, 2015
- All the same everywhere by piny July 24, 2006