Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. scopophilia says:

I reviewed the Micheal Cera helmed “Crystal Fairy:”

and chose 5 links of the week:

2. I wrote a flash fiction entitled “By the Light of the Moon” that serves as character backstory for my novel Leah Far-Sighted.

3. I wrote a post about how the death penalty given to the four perpetrators of the Dec.2012 rape & murder is not the answer to address sexual violence in India. The case has been a catalyst as far as awareness about gender related crimes in India is concerned. But the death penalty awarded and celebrated across the nation this week, might act as a dramatic closure to the issue that is too diverse and deep rooted for a simple solution.

4. I Wish My Friends Trying to Lose Weight Would Read This“- A post that reflects on overcoming my own body hangups and not knowing how to share that with others.

Is There an Authentic Self?“- If Amy Smart, Seth Rogen, a philosopher, and rhetorician walked into a bar, this post would walk out.

5. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I did a review of the new fall series, Back in the Game.

As I say in the review, from the trailer that’s been bouncing around, the show doesn’t look like much. But from the pilot, the show looks like it’s going to be strongly feminist. I have my hopes up.

6. Kathy says:

Feeling somewhat frustrated with the usual women’s and gender studies reading list, I cobbled together one of my own.

7. Jem says:

I wrote a response to that awful “Goldman Sachs Unofficial Guide To Being A Man”, about toxic masculinity:

and on the fact that an acquittal in a rape case does not mean “she was lying”, despite how many people insist it does [CN: distant reference to a rape case]

8. coca_colo says:

I have a newborn faun of a project to share with y’all. TW for assault/abuse discussion.

I have started a tumblr called “Survivors Matter” to share stories of the broader impact of sexual assault and abuse. Since there are folks out there saying that teacher-student rape=NBD and Richard Dawkins going on about “minor” pedophilia not being harmful, I felt there was a need for a counter-narrative, about just how harmful sexual abuse and assault can be, and how many of us are living with its effects today. This is a space to say “I can’t sleep and spend thousands on therapy because I was abused.” Or, “My relationship with my family will never be the same. I miss being able to trust people.”

I hope this space will be useful not just to share these stories with and educate the broader public, and hopefully encourage journalists to talk about the impacts of abuse and assault on its victims lives, when writing irresponsible “oh the poor perpetrator” pieces, but also to provide support for one another, to say, you know what, some of us are not ok, and that’s because we were hurt, and our pain matters and our voices should be heard.

Here’s the first post: “We get to decide how much we were harmed”, and here’s the submission link. You can also email submissions to to have them posted anonymously.

Would greatly appreciate signal boosting to anyone who might be willing/able to share their story.

9. Suzanne says:

In light of DC comics refusing to let Batwoman marry her girlfriend, I talk about how Batwoman inspired me to come out as bisexual.

10. Ally S says:

A response to Hanna Rosins recent Slate article “The Patriarchy is Dead”:

11. Tori says:

A Little More on Body Size, Diversity, & Lingerie — Where ideology kinds of smacks up against reality.

Advice to New Teachers — On self care.

12. Anna says:

Given that it’s both National Cholesterol Education Month and Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, we have turned in two new installments of our “Over 90 Percent of What Planned Parenthood Does” series. Did you know that Planned Parenthood Arizona (and possibly other affiliates — they are all different, so call first) does cholesterol testing and prostate exams? If you’ve ever wanted to learn more about cholesterol and prostates, now’s your chance!

Or maybe you just want more links to read, in which case, check out our roundup.

13. arabookworm says:

I have once again been blogging about mental health and the like:

14. Kristin says:

I grapple with neighborhood school closures in Chicago, U.S., nonprofits that contributed to the closures, and the loss of student privacy rights in these posts:
    Mysterious timing for Chicago school closures
    Are nonprofits our frenemies?
    How to check out a nonprofit
    How to check out a nonprofit, part two
    What are our students’ privacy rights, really?

15. Change in a victim cannot fix a perpetrator’s problem. We all have vulnerabilities, and we deserve to be treated with kindness around them.
    Interrupt Bullying

16. My website has been redesigned and is now up and running! Check out my portfolio of naturalistic, figurative oil paintings focusing on themes of gender and sexuality here.

Take a look at this week’s Female Gaze Friday: collage of the male figure by Elise Graham.

And since my site was basically down since last Sunday night, here are links to last week’s posts for miniature artist Shahzia Sikander, She Who Tells a Story, and Female Gaze Friday: Shizuka Yokomizo’s Dear Stranger.

17. Five (and a half) Reasons Not to Send Your Son to College: a simple genderflipped analysis of an article that’s been going around.

18. Chas B says:

Let me plug my cartoon again.

I’m still soliciting funds for the cartoon. Check it out here.

19. Jess says:

This week at House of Flout:

White-collar feminists: Non-office working women shouldn’t have to be college educated to earn your respect as peers and equals. But if that’s what it takes, then you should know that many of us are.
    Time to start really considering us your equals.

Warning: Discussion of rape, rapists. Mention of child abuse.
    In response to the study that 25% of men in some Asian-Pacific countries have admitted to rape, here are 10 ways we need to respond.

You ladies rock. Thanks for reading!

20. Kyosuke says:

I also linked this in the Hanna Rosin post here, but in case others didn’t see it:

Patriarchy Isn’t Dead: Why Hanna Rosin Is Wrong

21. victoria says:

I got pissed off about sports fans making ignorant comments about a football coach who had an epileptic seizure during a game, so I wrote about it:

Armchair Epilepsy Experts

22. Logan says:

This week on DDP:

Words matter, allyship-based social justice, and an ode to dumpster-diving.

23. It has been quite the week.

CN: Accident & Injury
    My husband rolled his semi. He was in West Virginia, now he’s home.

And I got a cover for my new romance novella, Fruits of Thine. Carla is not as zaftig as she could be, but she is as dark as she should be. It’s a paranormal.

24. Damiane says:

This week I reviewed Medea, a quasi-fantasy takeoff of the classic tale that manages to simultaneously examine gender roles across this world and frustrate me with the way Medea falls into flimsy justifications based on love rather than conviction.

25. I argue with my (younger) self about abortion. Content notes: rape, essentialism, mild homophobia, pro-life religious and/or political values.

26. Georgia Knowles, National Coordinator of Rape Crisis Aotearoa, blogged her speech at last weekend’s Slutwalk held in Dunedin, New Zealand. It’s moving stuff.