Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. BroadBlogs
    BroadBlogs October 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm |

What a misogynist! I can’t believe the original legislation wanted to prohibit an abortion even with rape, incest, or a woman’s life.

Even as I read example after example of crazy thinking like this, I find it hard to believe that people can have such mindsets. I would truly like to know how that happens.

1. GallingGalla
      GallingGalla October 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm |

Can you please not use ableist language? The Republicans are mean, nasty, reprehensible people, but “crazy” they’re not. Thanks.

2. Pitbullgirl65
    Pitbullgirl65 October 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
  3. anon
    anon October 4, 2013 at 11:50 pm |

I’m going anonymous for this, but–

when I got my abortion, I wouldn’t have accessed a single Medicare or Medicaid resource, because the last thing I wanted was this medical act in my records for all my future doctors to see. I don’t trust the future, and I don’t trust every person who has access to my records. I paid in cash for mine and I haven’t told a single medical soul–just my mother, my partner, and my best friend.

I’m not ashamed of my abortion, but I am scared of other people. There are a lot of people who keep parts of themselves or their lives sequestered because the public can either be cruel or outright fucking dangerous. We talk about the need for anonymity of rape survivors, and I think a lot of the same reasoning applies here.

I’d rather see abortion clinics funded and women could walk in and get a free abortion and medical examination and follow-up. She could report it to her medical records if she felt like it.

This doesn’t mean I don’t think we need to push back against the Hyde Amendment, this is more me wanting to add a wrinkle to the conversation as well as suggested a direction to push towards.

1. Pitbullgirl65
      Pitbullgirl65 October 5, 2013 at 2:56 am |

That’s smart to be honest. Remember this festering boil?

Tl, dr Kansas Atty General tried to obtain medical records from abortion clinics. OT: every notice how TeaTurds, anti choicers, Rethugs, fill in the blanks, have the same “fundie leer” smug asshole expression?

1. speedbudget
        speedbudget October 7, 2013 at 7:56 am |

What I notice is these are the same people worried about a “government takeover” of our health care due to the ACA, which simply gives access. What I notice are these are the same people who put out an ad showing Uncle Sam as the most pervy kind of rapist in a doctor’s office.

Meanwhile, these are the people who are demanding medical records. These are the people getting between women and their medical choices, whether the choice to abort to even SEE a doctor.

2. MH
      MH October 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm |

I’m with you on your personal choice to keep your abortion out of your main medical record. At the same time, I know that many women would gladly add it to their medical record if it gave them a way out of the crisis situation of an unintended pregnancy. I want them to have that choice. My heart aches for the women of most of our states, who don’t have access to the public funding that women in just a few states have.

While I, again, completely respect your personal choice, I also hope that more women will be able to stand up and publicly say “I had an abortion.” We live in a country where 1 in 3 women will have one, but we treat it like some obscure, shameful thing that only the most scandalous and shameless of women would do. In the same way that I think the LGBT rights situation has begun (and only begun) to shift partly from everybody having a gay friend or relative, I think that more people realizing that someone close to them has had an abortion will make a difference. And let’s be real: we all know someone who’s had an abortion.