Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. tigtog says:

Apologies for mis-scheduling this post! It should have gone up hours and hours ago.

2. Nancy Green says:

How a fad diet led me to global feminist empowerment and kitchen fires while striving to zip the Pants of Truth…
    Giving up Wheat-What Will I Eat?

3. Femocracy says:

This week, I wrote Birth Control: A Government Shutdown Story, about how we can’t even close the government without trying to take away women’s contraceptives.

Also, given the recent vote to cut SNAP and failure to reauthorize TANF and WIC before the shutdown, on why we should never negotiate with conservatives on social welfare policy.

And finally, how one can be pro-choice and oppose the death penalty, without cognitive dissonance – inspired by Tumblr trolls (content note for discussion of forced sterilization in Feminist Times.)

4. What’s it like to be in a relationship that defies gender roles? Well, it feels sort of like being in a relationship with two human beings.

5. Andie says:

First thoughts on my diagnosis

• Andie says:

In lighter news, I’m in a movie! (as “girl in restaurant” lol)

• orangedesperado says:

Wow – I am so shocked to read of your diagnosis. I have no words to describe my feelings. It certainly sounds like it was up there, with the BAD DAYS, definitely near the top of the list. I will be thinking good thoughts for you as this unfolds.

6. H.D. says:

The new movie Gravity and the recent outrageous comments by David Gilmour got me thinking about the ability to relate to an “Other”.

7. Athenia says:

I talk about what I want to see in a sexy lady superhero outfit using Sailor Moon’s Sailor Pluto and DC’s Starfire for comparison.

The Male Gaze vs. The Female Gaze: Sailor Pluto vs. Starfire

8. alynn says:

This week I wrote about taking up space…

And my friend Maria explains, cancer is not sexy…

9. Sue says:

I wrote a piece with some of the current “poverty data” about the LGBTQ Community as part of an awareness raising campaign.

Also, I had some thoughts on specific & unique ways the government shutdown impacts the LGBTQ community.

Finally, as part of NaBloPoMo, I wrote about my memories of “autumnal flavors” with a very Pittsburgh twist.

10. Mother X says:

“I laugh out loud—an abrupt exhale. A man glances in my direction and I smile at my private joke—me, running from pudding. I’m ridiculous.”

I wrote about how an ordinary trip to the grocery store is no longer ordinary.

11. Jacob says:

I recently started a new blog focusing on women’s writing

Reading From The Margins

12. alynn says:

This week I wrote about taking up space…

And my friend Maria explains, cancer is not sexy…

(Sorry there is another like this in your queue…I put my email address in wrong the first time.)

13. This is purely silly, but might bring a smile to anyone who 1) loves baseball and/or 2) is heartened by seeing two strapping male athletes who are completely unafraid to show their affection for each other on the field:

14. Anna says:

Three posts over the past week: one about herpes transmission, another about breast exams, and the third about antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea.

1) One of you has genital herpes. The other doesn’t. You want to keep it that way. There are many strategies you can use to decrease risk of herpes transmission from one partner to another. Learn all about them!

2) It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Did you know that Planned Parenthood performs hundreds of thousands of breast exams every year, and refers for mammograms if needed? Learn what a breast exam is and why you might get one!

3) Last month, the CDC declared drug-resistant gonorrhea to be an “urgent threat.” Meanwhile, humans are fighting back by doing what they do best: science! Researchers developed a vaccine that cures gonorrhea and prevents reinfection. The catch? It only works on mice. Learn more about the fascinating saga of this scary superbug!

15. Gretchen says:

How I know this isn’t about freedom of speech : A response to a Facebook page entitled “Should Miri Mogilevsky be murdered?”

16. Damiane says:

This week I reviewed The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern’s strange and lovely book about a circus that opens at sunset and closes at dawn.

17. This week I denounced the recent nomination of a new Supreme Court justice in Canada as this further imbalances the gender ratio on the bench: Gender and the Supreme Court of Canada: Why Justice Nadon’s Appointment is a Blow to Gender Equality in Canada

Also, for those who might be interested, I started a book review blog. While it is not 100% feminist focused, I do tend to review a lot of women-led books, comment on gender and social justice issues in novels, and review some non-fiction feminist books: Maggie Gordon’s Towering Pile of Books

18. My BBW urban fantasy romance released Sunday. Without the cover being white-washed.

CN: clutter
    We are cleaning. Hard. There are before and after pictures. And I explain why a witch is waging a jihad.

CN: horror, gore, creepy
    It’s October, which means The Daily Feature.
    Sounds of the Season, pictures, recipes and stories.
    October 1, 2, Kitchen witch Wednesday, 3, 4 hosted by Peanuts, 5, 6 Sunday Sweets, which means a free e-book giveaway

19. I wrote about the government shut down through a rhetorical lens. We value practicality and finding a middle ground, but the liberal model of rhetorical discourse tricks us into seeing middles when they’re not really there.

I also wrote about how teaching physical education as a place to groom the best hurts our ability to find the value in fitness and exercise as a whole. Did you hate gym class as much as I did?

20. FYouMudFlaps says:

This may be 101 for many of you, but a good primer nonetheless. On Firebrand Progressives, the blog I just got hired for (yay me!), I break down the two main archetypes of sexism and how they affect everyone. Paste this in threads that get derailed with “what about the menz” nonsense.

21. Kathy says:

I wrote a brief post about Valentine Road, a documentary airing on HBO about the 2008 murder of Lawrence King. (TW – violence, murder, transphobia)

22. Tori says:

I reviewed the Panache Sport bra and griped about the general shortcomings of available products. (Note: does contain pics of me in the bra, which may be NSFW.)

Also, to my student, on breaking up with her boyfriend.