tigtog blogs a lot elsewhere, but here on Feministe she mostly does the tech support and feeds the giraffe. tigtog tweets in flurries @vivsmythe.

1. jrockford
    jrockford October 9, 2013 at 11:45 am |

Yesterday in seminar one of my professors told me about a project he’d helped work on

The Women Film Pioneers Project

It’s a project 20 years in the making that has combined the work of dozens of film scholars from around the world. Basically, to attempt to reclaim the history of women in the first 30 years of the cinema, much of which has been lost or deliberately erased. It focuses primarily on writers, directors, producers, and other behind the camera folks, though many of these people acted as well.

As I understand it the project is not yet complete, and they are open to new submissions and new research. But as it stands right now it’s pretty thorough. Definitely a lot of reading here.

2. Bonnie
    Bonnie October 9, 2013 at 11:49 am |

I read this article: ON GLORIA STEINEM’S APOLOGY

The historical information was useful to me.

3. mk
    mk October 9, 2013 at 12:01 pm |

Yum & Yuk generally posts link roundups, but they’re such good link roundups. Like this one from last week. Highlights include NYT on the mental cost of dieting and one woman’s essay on feeding her family.

(Okay, I realize a lot of people probably have NYT and Salon on their radars already, but I always find at least one link here that I wouldn’t have seen anywhere else.)

4. Laura (dusty_rose)
    Laura (dusty_rose) October 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm |

Sarah Kendzior is a brilliant journalist who writes about, among other things, the economy, higher education, and central Europe.

This interview she did for a Turkish site talks about leaving academia, job instability, the prestige economy, the role of anger, and more. It’s a must-read.

A taste:

“In the U.S. these structural inequalities are guised as deficiencies in ‘merit’ – whereas the real deficiency is the lack of pre-existing wealth to purchase credentials. The U.S. uses the ‘American Dream’ mythology to validate its own prejudices. It is tough to accept the death of the American dream when it benefited so many – including my ancestors, who came here in poverty but worked their way into the educated middle class in two generations. But today that dream is dead.”

1. Sine Nominee
      Sine Nominee October 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm |

Thank you for this link. She’s a brilliant woman and I enjoyed reading the interview.

5. Fat Steve
    Fat Steve October 10, 2013 at 2:03 am |

I don’t read any social justice blogs other than this one. In fact the only other blogs I regularly read are food blogs, so I decided I would use this space to promote my favorite food blogs by women of color. (I’ve posted a few in the past but never stated it as such…)

This week’s post is from Dobby’s excellent Nigerian food blog:

Vegetable egg sauce with Fluted pumpkin “Ugwu” leaves

1. trees
      trees October 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm |

Thanks!

6. Sharon M
    Sharon M October 10, 2013 at 6:17 pm |

Trigger warning! Police brutality, racism, animal shooting.
    Leon Rosbys dog Max was shot in retaliation, Leon filed suit against the Hawthorne PD, for racial discrimination and harassment last year. He was unlawfully arrested for filming them when Max was shot. He has 6 felony charges against him, the officer who did this is still employed (of course he is! He also was involved in kicking a handcuffed facedown, suspect in the face but whatever.)
    There are a ton of relevant links on this page. (I don’t recommend watching the original video. It went viral with over 5 million views. )
    Thank you.

7. Aditi
    Aditi October 14, 2013 at 10:56 am |

Awesome space for women of color