Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Anna
    Anna October 28, 2013 at 6:54 pm |

We’re doing a series about the fear-mongering surrounding Gardasil. The first installment focuses on rumors that the vaccine causes infertility. This type of scare-mongering is just one manifestation of the idea that women deserve punishment for having sex.

* * *

Earlier this year, the first new IUD in more than a decade came onto the market, so we thought it’d be a great time to learn about IUDs!

2. Brittany Touris
    Brittany Touris October 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm |

A description of a screenplay I am writing featuring three female protagonists.

3. Balancing Jane
    Balancing Jane October 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm |

After an automated letter told me I was too fat to be a role model for my daughter, I wrote a letter to a health incentive program questioning their privileging of BMI over all other indicators of health.

When is it okay to judge a public figure (like a politician) by his/her family’s actions? Where do individuals begin and collective units end?

Some recent articles said that a rejecting of “Blurred Lines” was a rejection of sex positivity. I disagree and suggest watching John Legend for some tips on sex positivity in music videos done right.

4. BroadBlogs
    BroadBlogs October 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm |

I wrote a couple of posts on the Maryville rape.

One on rape culture:

Why Maryville Citizens Defend Rapists

The other talks about how men sometimes use rape as a way of creating a sense of manhood:

Assaulting Daisy to Create “Male Superiority”

5. J. Isabel
    J. Isabel October 28, 2013 at 8:29 pm |

Hey everyone – two new posts up this week.

And some new things. Blog has been revamped and edited to reflect new focus.

First new post: a non-fiction prose piece I wrote.

Second new post: specific ideas on free writing for ESL students

6. Femocracy
    Femocracy October 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm |

First, I wrote about how we’re seeing a shift in social policy, between Gov. Christie giving up his fight against gay marriage and Gov. Kasich going against his party to expand Medicaid in Ohio.

Then, I wrote about Jamie Leigh Jones and how she may have made false rape allegations – but it led to good policy for survivors of sexual assault (content note for discussion of rape.)

7. Sue Kerr
    Sue Kerr October 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm |

I wrote about the chief of staff of a local elected official describing me as paranoid, tactless and lacking in collaboration skills. Elected official is a woman, staffer is young white male.

I also blogged about Malcolm X and Blogher

8. Daniel Copeland
    Daniel Copeland October 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm |

I continued my series of blog posts on the Narnia series with an analysis of The Silver Chair. Trigger warnings: gender essentialism, implied cannibalism, religiously-sanctioned violence against children (all from the original text).

9. Maria Smilios
    Maria Smilios October 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm |

My article in Role/Reboot: “Firefighters Don’t wear Skirts”: When will Halloween Costumes for Girls Reflect Reality? focuses on the sexualization of halloween costumes for girls

10. Princedavid
    Princedavid October 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm |

Hello we are a faction group that can promote or campaign for any cause. It has not launched yet, but keep an eye out. We are at Reddsite4.com

our interests include many interests

11. H.D.
    H.D. October 28, 2013 at 10:42 pm |

Following the witch hunt on Greek and Irish Roma families with “white-looking” children, I’m asking ” Who are the real child abductors”in Europe?

1. Maria Smilios
      Maria Smilios October 30, 2013 at 9:03 am |

I’m wondering if you have ever come into contact with any Roma families. As a Greek, who has spent years living in a country with Roma families, these “persecuted” people are not as “persecuted” as you make them out to be. Have you ever seen how Roma mothers allow their children to wander midday in the middle of intersections in Athens begging for me while they sit in tents lined along the beach? This is not simply a black and white issue here; it’s a systemic issue of a subculture that has a long and complicated history in both these countries and the ways in which they care for and raise their children–because they are living under the jurisdiction of these countries, they need to abide by the countries laws, and sorry, getting kids “in dubious manners” is not abiding by the laws. So, as someone who has lived among Roma families and seen their children, wandering without shoes, filthy, and tired in the Athens heat, please think twice about jumping to conclusions that this is a racist issue–it’s more of a cultural issue than a racist one.

1. macavitykitsune
        macavitykitsune October 30, 2013 at 9:42 am |

Dubious manners?

Quick question: how DO you think babies are made? ‘cuz you know, I thought it was, like, intercourse and fertilisation for the vast majority. But if your assertion is that this Roma family managed to combine their DNA and gestating their child by, I don’t know, breaking a car window or lifting a purse, I’d love to know the details.

12. Meg
    Meg October 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm |

I put up the most recent story for the Stories Project this week:

Judy Wight, a woman who lost her sister to anti-gay violence, shares
    her story of the person she remembers and how this has affected her.

13. Tori
    Tori October 29, 2013 at 1:09 am |

A concern trolling email because… cake? [CN: food policing]

Also, a couple of teacher stories.

14. Tori
    Tori October 29, 2013 at 1:10 am |

A concern trolling email because… cake? [CN: food policing]

Also, a couple of teacher stories.

15. Véronique
    Véronique October 29, 2013 at 1:26 am |

Only one post in Fromage this past week, in response to the video of Russell Brand’s interview on BBC Newsnight: You say you want a revolution.

I hope this doesn’t mean tomorrow is actually Monday again!

16. Hannah
    Hannah October 29, 2013 at 7:36 am |

Why does feminism keep fucking up? This is not a rhetorical question.

Also, >a href=”http://oldjawjaw.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/shes-good-people.html”>Why I feel guilty 100% of the time.

17. Hannah
    Hannah October 29, 2013 at 7:37 am |

Oops – the last link should’ve been Also, Why I feel guilty 100% of the time.

18. Kathy
    Kathy October 29, 2013 at 9:53 am |

In honor of NaNoWriMo, I cobbled together a short list of writing resources.

19. Jess
    Jess October 29, 2013 at 12:20 pm |

I wrote about Two Big Ways I Struggled with My Feminism Last Week and why those struggles are necessary.

And Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Living as a Grown-Up with Small Boobs

Thanks for reading!

20. Rape Crisis Dunedin
    Rape Crisis Dunedin October 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm |

***trigger warning*** for rape culture, stalking and sexual abuse

A piece I wrote about rape supportive narratives on Gilmore Girls

21. jane thrive
    jane thrive October 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm |

Chugging along, single parenting! Happy Halloween everyone.

22. jane thrive
    jane thrive October 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm |

chugging along–single parenting! happy halloween!

23. 1humanwoman
    1humanwoman November 1, 2013 at 9:58 am |

I’ve begun a feminist blog on reproductive issues
    My latest post is on atta-satta: http://humanwithuterus.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/girls-as-cattle-child-brides-of-atta-satta/