Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday on Monday

Woops! Late this week. Anyway, promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday on Monday

1. Anna says:

We’re doing a series about the fear-mongering surrounding Gardasil. The first installment focuses on rumors that the vaccine causes infertility. This type of scare-mongering is just one manifestation of the idea that women deserve punishment for having sex.

* * *

Earlier this year, the first new IUD in more than a decade came onto the market, so we thought it’d be a great time to learn about IUDs!

2. A description of a screenplay I am writing featuring three female protagonists.

3. After an automated letter told me I was too fat to be a role model for my daughter, I wrote a letter to a health incentive program questioning their privileging of BMI over all other indicators of health.

When is it okay to judge a public figure (like a politician) by his/her family’s actions? Where do individuals begin and collective units end?

Some recent articles said that a rejecting of “Blurred Lines” was a rejection of sex positivity. I disagree and suggest watching John Legend for some tips on sex positivity in music videos done right.

4. BroadBlogs says:

I wrote a couple of posts on the Maryville rape.

One on rape culture:

Why Maryville Citizens Defend Rapists

The other talks about how men sometimes use rape as a way of creating a sense of manhood:

Assaulting Daisy to Create “Male Superiority”

5. J. Isabel says:

Hey everyone – two new posts up this week.

And some new things. Blog has been revamped and edited to reflect new focus.

First new post: a non-fiction prose piece I wrote.

Second new post: specific ideas on free writing for ESL students

6. Femocracy says:

First, I wrote about how we’re seeing a shift in social policy, between Gov. Christie giving up his fight against gay marriage and Gov. Kasich going against his party to expand Medicaid in Ohio.

Then, I wrote about Jamie Leigh Jones and how she may have made false rape allegations – but it led to good policy for survivors of sexual assault (content note for discussion of rape.)

7. Sue Kerr says:

I wrote about the chief of staff of a local elected official describing me as paranoid, tactless and lacking in collaboration skills. Elected official is a woman, staffer is young white male.

I also blogged about Malcolm X and Blogher

8. I continued my series of blog posts on the Narnia series with an analysis of The Silver Chair. Trigger warnings: gender essentialism, implied cannibalism, religiously-sanctioned violence against children (all from the original text).

9. My article in Role/Reboot: “Firefighters Don’t wear Skirts”: When will Halloween Costumes for Girls Reflect Reality? focuses on the sexualization of halloween costumes for girls

10. Princedavid says:

Hello we are a faction group that can promote or campaign for any cause. It has not launched yet, but keep an eye out. We are at Reddsite4.com

our interests include many interests

11. H.D. says:

Following the witch hunt on Greek and Irish Roma families with “white-looking” children, I’m asking ” Who are the real child abductors”in Europe?

• I’m wondering if you have ever come into contact with any Roma families. As a Greek, who has spent years living in a country with Roma families, these “persecuted” people are not as “persecuted” as you make them out to be. Have you ever seen how Roma mothers allow their children to wander midday in the middle of intersections in Athens begging for me while they sit in tents lined along the beach? This is not simply a black and white issue here; it’s a systemic issue of a subculture that has a long and complicated history in both these countries and the ways in which they care for and raise their children–because they are living under the jurisdiction of these countries, they need to abide by the countries laws, and sorry, getting kids “in dubious manners” is not abiding by the laws. So, as someone who has lived among Roma families and seen their children, wandering without shoes, filthy, and tired in the Athens heat, please think twice about jumping to conclusions that this is a racist issue–it’s more of a cultural issue than a racist one.

• because they are living under the jurisdiction of these countries, they need to abide by the countries laws, and sorry, getting kids “in dubious manners” is not abiding by the laws.

Dubious manners?

Quick question: how DO you think babies are made? ‘cuz you know, I thought it was, like, intercourse and fertilisation for the vast majority. But if your assertion is that this Roma family managed to combine their DNA and gestating their child by, I don’t know, breaking a car window or lifting a purse, I’d love to know the details.

12. Meg says:

I put up the most recent story for the Stories Project this week:

Judy Wight, a woman who lost her sister to anti-gay violence, shares
    her story of the person she remembers and how this has affected her.

13. Tori says:

A concern trolling email because… cake? [CN: food policing]

Also, a couple of teacher stories.

14. Véronique says:

Only one post in Fromage this past week, in response to the video of Russell Brand’s interview on BBC Newsnight: You say you want a revolution.

I hope this doesn’t mean tomorrow is actually Monday again!

15. Hannah says:

Why does feminism keep fucking up? This is not a rhetorical question.

Also, >a href=”http://oldjawjaw.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/shes-good-people.html”>Why I feel guilty 100% of the time.

16. Hannah says:

Oops – the last link should’ve been Also, Why I feel guilty 100% of the time.

17. Kathy says:

In honor of NaNoWriMo, I cobbled together a short list of writing resources.

18. Rape Crisis Dunedin says:

***trigger warning*** for rape culture, stalking and sexual abuse

A piece I wrote about rape supportive narratives on Gilmore Girls

19. jane thrive says:

Chugging along, single parenting! Happy Halloween everyone.

20. 1humanwoman says:

I’ve begun a feminist blog on reproductive issues
    My latest post is on atta-satta: http://humanwithuterus.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/girls-as-cattle-child-brides-of-atta-satta/