Many of you will have already read about Orlando student Vanessa VanDyke being threatened with expulsion from her private Christian school for wearing her hair exactly as it grows out of her head. The Faith Christian Academy’s administration has deemed her hair style “disruptive” (because other students bully her over wearing her hair long with all its frizz and kinks visible), and they have a school rule about “distracting” hairstyles which lists a variety of hair modifications as unacceptable and says nothing about natural long hair.
The school administration only issued its directive to Vanessa regarding her hair after she made a formal complaint about other students bullying her for not having conformist (i.e. chemically straightened) hair.
There is the predictable pushback in online forums about how the school’s way of (not) dealing with racist bullying in their student body by body-policing the natural features of an African-American girl is not really any sort of racially discriminatory double standard, because of course it’s exactly like a white student with a “mohawk” hair style (picture me giving that line of argument the side-eye so hard, and not just for the obvious Sesame Street logic fail). Please use this thread to expound upon exactly how insulting that nonsense is.
Similar Posts (automatically generated):
- The White Racist Meme by Jeremy September 22, 2009
- Career Racist Mark Steyn Writes About Tribalism by Jill November 19, 2012
- Reverse Oppression: A Fad that Needs to End by Guest Blogger September 6, 2012
- On defending (and failing to defend) Quvenzhané Wallis by Caperton March 11, 2013
- The Reverse of Discrimination is “Not Discrimination” by Jeremy September 25, 2009