Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. The #FeminismIsForMothersToo conversation has me reflecting on how calling Michelle Obama feminism’s worst nightmare for being “mom-in-chief” is insulting to feminist mothers and demonstrates the power capitalist narratives of success have on American society. They are so strong that they hide the value of “pink collar” work.

2. Leigh says:

This past week was Male Feminists and Allies week at Bitch Flicks, and we featured posts on Eddie Vedder, Tootsie, Quentin Tarantino, Sir Patrick Stewart, Ryan Gosling, and more.

Here’s a link to the complete lineup:
    Male Feminists and Allies Week Roundup

3. BroadBlogs says:

This piece looks a bit at how the feminine ideal varies from place to place.

Thigh Gap: Worth Starving For?

4. Ally S says:

I wrote about Elan Gale’s “hilarious” revenge against a woman who was annoying him: http://mellowness.dreamwidth.org/29848.html

5. Ashleigh says:

This week on broadsspeak: a quick note about this week’s press coverage of gender inequality.

6. I’ve got a new blog project! Are you Catholic? Did you know…? will have roughly-weekly brief posts about one of those things that every Catholic should know, but a surprising number of us don’t, along with a poll to vote on whether or not you knew it, and of course comments where you can expand on your answer: thus simultaneously sharing information, gathering information about where education is needed, and (I hope!) having fun. Catholics, former Catholics, and interested non-Catholics are all welcome. Please share the link with your current or former Catholic friends & relations. The first few posts will be about Advent. (Happy Advent!)

On my regular blog, getting back to my thesis, I’ve posted about a paper on empathy in the works of Edith Stein, Simone Weil, and Rene Girard.

7. Hannah says:

The argument that “no one in the US has a passport, and that’s why their foreign policy is rubbish” is lazy, classist, and just plain wrong.

8. rimonim says:

Why I Have No Plans For Bottom Surgery — If you asked me early in my transition, I would have said I wanted bottom surgery ASAP. What’s changed? (Content note: Frank discussion of my body & sexuality.)

Good Things About Being Trans* — I find it easy to talk to women. What are some good things about being trans*?

Transition As Immigration — A few thoughts on how gender transition is/is not like immigrant, from my perspective as a trans man & 2nd generation immigrant.

9. Tori says:

A brief response to cake, concern trolling, and the food police [CNs for the latter two].

Also, an asana sequence for the shoulders, neck, and upper back — conveniently timed to coincide with end-of-semester stress. ;)

10. Shannon says:

11. Happy World AIDS Day to everyone. I wanted to honor my friend:

Other:
    Atlanta Braves move to suburbs Why? follow the money

Any idea what this bumper sticker might mean? (Besides the fact that I live in a thoroughly-backward place, that is.) Racism/confederate-apologist trigger warnings.

Speaking of which, South Carolina is trying to ‘nullify’ Obamacare, and I went to one of the state senate subcommittee hearings on 11/6/13:

12. Sue says:

(Content Notes – References to Neighborhood Crime) True Confession – I Reported You to the U.S. Postal Service

(CN: Homophobia, transphobia) What happens to an average little blog AFTER a week of receiving 10,000+ hits on a post that went viral? This.

(CN: homophobia, sexism) BlogHer asked me what I was afraid of? I answered “Getting Gay Married.”

13. I like Jill’s legal opinion on this. I am being threatened with a libel lawsuit by GOP consultant Peter Schorsch. Schorsch is currently being investigated by the Pinellas County, Florida Sheriff’s Office. He previous pleaded no contest to grand theft of funds he took from political candidates he worked for. Schorsch claims I have libeled him for saying he attempted to get conservative activist Michael Pinson to pay him $4,200.00 in exchange for Schorsch deleting negative blog posts he wrote about Pinson. I find it interesting that Schorsch accuses me of libel when he ran a series called “Michael Pinson is a Douche Bag.”

• a lawyer says:

When you say

you’re confusing “offensive” and “libelous,” I think.

For example, you could probably run a series of posts saying “Schorsch is a Sh!thead” and they would be protected as opinion (unless there’s some broader harassment issue) so you probably would win a suit. But you can’t run a series of posts saying “Schorsch hates the Miami Dolphins” unless it’s true, since that’s an actual fact.

Anyway: this is a complex subject. Start by reading this self explanatory post:

and then call a Florida lawyer.

• a lawyer says:

Stupid mod question: how come some posts go to mod, and others do not, even when posted from the same PC in the same session? If that a thread-specific thing?

• tigtog says:

There are several reasons that only some of your posts might be going to mod:
        * per thread moderation settings – we do set some threads to have all comments moderated. We don’t do that often though.
        * word-filter mod-bot – certain words tend to be more likely to kick off problematic subthreads/derails than others, so using one of those words gets a comment auto-botted into the Pending Moderation queue.
        * comment-length mod-bot – comments over 500 words long are auto-botted into the Pending Moderation queue.
        * included links mod-bot – any comment containing more than 2 links gets auto-botted into the Pending Moderation queue.

• a lawyer says:

thanks, tigtog! I have been curious for a while.

14. delagar says:

Over at delagar, I blog on the response to the Child Marriage report on NPR: “Child Rape Is Just A Traditional Life Choice When It Happens To Girls.”

(Discussion of child rape and sexual abuse.)

15. Shannon says:

Oops, I forgot the link. Sorry for thed repost.

Extreme trigger warning. This is an account of a very violent assault against me by a Seattle and Dallas based businessman named Mike Meisenbach. He is widely reported to have harmed other women both sex worker and non sex worker. The blog, MikeyLeaks also discusses how criminalization of sex work empowers men like him. This was a brutal hour long assault that is graphically described by me and witnesses. Please view with caution. http://www.shannonleighton.com

16. Jess says:

I responded to the New York Times’ article about a study on female competition, aggression, and slut-shaming.
    Girl-on-Girl Crime: Competition and Slut-Shaming

And this one’s a couple weeks old now, but worth sharing, I think:
    Because Sometimes Feminism Can Depress the Crap Out of You

17. Laura Whang says:

This week over at Breaking Lo I blogged “America, Stop Picking and Choosing Who You Care About on Thanksgiving.” The post raises the question as to why media outlets are only focused on the lower wage workers in retail that are forced to work on Thanksgiving but largely ignoring the other low income employees at movie theaters and restaurants that are also forced to work. I’d love to hear your feedback. Thanks. http://www.breakinglo.com/blog/

18. Lawrence says:

A literary magazine I’m losely-affiliated with just finished a week of feminist-themed listicles. They’re slightly problematic (not enough women writers, the main author has kind of an obsession with torturing rapists) but maybe someone here can see past the difficulties to a bunch of undergrads trying to improve things slightly?

19. Amanda Lee says:

Artist collaboration aims to raise awareness of interpersonal violence and its prevention.

Ladies makin’ some positive prints.

20. Athenia says:

Dismantling White Supremacy in the English Dub of Sailor Moon

A look at how you don’t have to rely on notions of white supremacy when you name the villains in your cartoon.

21. I write about what happens when your convictions are challenged by societal expectations and the true role of activism.The title of my post is “Let Your No Be No and Your Yes Be Yes“.

22. Amanda says:

I wrote about children’s toys, specifically the girlification of “boy” toys and how many outlets dub them “gender neutral.”

No, Your “Girl” Toys Are Not Gender Neutral

23. BlogHer.com featured my crash course post on racism, ignorance, white privilege, & how to offer an authentic apology: http://www.blogher.com/crash-course-holidays-racism-how-apologize