Jill has been blogging for Feministe since 2005.

1. Anna
    Anna January 19, 2014 at 2:44 pm |

Whether you want to take a daily pill, visit a health center for shots a few times a year, relax for a decade with a copper IUD, or bust out a condom when the occasion presents itself, you have a variety of birth control options. And they run the gamut from hormonal to nonhormonal, expensive to inexpensive, highly effective to best combined with other methods, and those that provide STD protection. See what’s out there — and what might be the best fit for you! Unfortunately, mostly aimed at those of us capable of becoming pregnant, but hopefully that will change soon with expanded options for those of us who produce sperm. :)

Some of the most exciting news in 2014 is that health insurance must cover contraception witout a co-pay, which greatly increases access to family planning in our country. But globally, 222 million of us lack access to contraception. This translates to more unintended pregnancies and unsafe abortions, and fewer educational and economic opportunities for women worldwide.

We’ve also compiled some of the best pieces that our bloggers had to offer in 2013 into one post — please check it out, as they have contributed some truly amazing material (commemorating Black History Month, milestones in the history of gay rights and reproductive justice, and pertinent information about abortion myths and contraception). Also, for those of you looking for more links to click, we’ve put together a retrospective of the top stories in reproductive justice in 2013.

Want links to more recent headlines? It’s been a wild week in reproductive justice — see what’s been going on lately, beyond the buffer zones.

2. ninjanurse
    ninjanurse January 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm |

Carolyn Jessop was forced into a polygamous marriage and constant childbearing, saw a glimpse of freedom through the bars from–Dr. Laura?! Strange but true…Cult Zombie Reading Project-Saved by Trashy Pop Culture

3. BroadBlogs
    BroadBlogs January 19, 2014 at 2:57 pm |

I probably should have called this post, “What happens when men become prey?”

It combines a “Sociological Images” post asking if homophobia is tied to male discomfort at feeling like prey + a post from a “Reddit” guy who passed as a girl on an online dating site.

Women as Prey, Men as Predator

Also, I wrote a post on how both men and women are less comfortable with random sex with strangers than they think everyone else is.

Getting Creeped Out to Fit In

4. scopophilia
    scopophilia January 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm |

I reviewed the U.S. Independent Film Fest here in Berlin: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/73514103459/nebraska-4-out-of-5-av-salesman-dave-will
    (movies reviewed include Nebraska, I hate myself :), Soft in the Head, Ape, The Immigrant, Short Term 12)

and selected this weeks weekend links: http://film-nut.tumblr.com/post/73822211296/the-weekend-5

5. Marsha
    Marsha January 19, 2014 at 3:15 pm |
  6. rimonim
    rimonim January 19, 2014 at 3:36 pm |

Finding & Not Finding — I couldn’t find myself anywhere. First I cried at the injustice.

Why Transition? — Of course, we transition because we are transgender/transsexual. But that doesn’t completely explain it, does it?

7. Femocracy
    Femocracy January 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm |

This week, writing about the Supreme Court case that could determine the fate of buffer zones outside abortion clinics, I wrote about how allegedly “harmless” grandmothers protesting can in fact do a great deal of harm.

I also wrote about how “let’s get everyone married” is not actually anti-poverty policy in response to a slew of Republicans pitching it as a cure-all.

Finally, David Vitter is still the worst on food stamps, and his new proposal requiring people show an ID with their EBT card could make the most vulnerable go hungry.

8. Sue
    Sue January 19, 2014 at 3:41 pm |

Reflecting on the status of LGBTQ Equality in PA and Pgh in specific, I remember a time when a candidate for Governor and his LGBTQ supporters took me to task in a public manner. Would they have treated a gay male blogger that way? None opposed him so I guess no way to tell.

Oh, using misquotes as lures for writing exercises makes me nuts, but I took the bait on this one.

While discussing LGBTQ equality in Pgh, these are some people I chose to read my blog daily - we really need to get to work on the transgender equality components. Sadly, the ones who responded asked me to send them reminders which I’m not sure reflects well on how blogging is used in Pgh.

Finally, I wrote more directly about my reputation as a blogger who apparently is not widely read by local progressive leaders or effective in creating momentum for LGBTQ equality. Sigh.

A discouraging week.

9. delagar
    delagar January 19, 2014 at 4:44 pm |

Over at delagar, I reviewed Alison Bechdel’s wonderful graphic novel Are You My Mother. (Spoilers: It’s amazing.)

Also, I link to my new post up at Skepchick’s Grounded Parents, Wearing All The Colors.

10. Heather
    Heather January 19, 2014 at 4:47 pm |

I wrote about STD testing this week – unsurprisingly, the link got fewer clicks than I usually do. Disappointing, since a lot of what I wrote about has to do with the nervousness and/or stigma that surrounds testing.

I also reviewed Female Raunch Culture; not a new book, but I was just getting around to it.

11. Tori
    Tori January 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm |

I wrote some more about food policing at the grocery store.

12. Jess Eagle
    Jess Eagle January 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm |

Recently on House of Flout:

‘You mean like a panda?’ On Being Asexual

And looking at a minor character Megan Abbott’s book “Dare Me” to explore a culture of competitive dieting among high school girls, particularly cheerleaders.
    ‘Dare Me’: When Cheerleading Becomes a Hunger Game

13. Rebecca
    Rebecca January 19, 2014 at 5:42 pm |

California’s plans to funnel $1 billion in tax dollars to private prisons got me thinking about the fear politicians have of challenging the wars on crime and terrorism, and the horrible damage it does to our society. Fear begets fear: policy paralysis on crime and terrorism.

I also wrote something up about the “good guy discount” featured on This American Life and the privilege involved in getting, or even trying to get, special treatment. The entitlement of “good guys”

14. Amanda
    Amanda January 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm |

The continuance of the story about Shannon, an escort who was brutally sexually assaulted. Her attacker hired a PI to threaten her, harass me for writing about it and finally — out her online. The message from these two men: women are supposed to accept violence in silence and then go away.

TW: The entire situation, though this particular piece contains a threat/wish for us to commit suicide.

15. Sonia Connolly
    Sonia Connolly January 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm |

We each contain the potential for all qualities, ranging from wonderful to terrible. When we stop fighting our shadows, we see ourselves and the rest of the world more clearly.
    Unhook from Projection

(Bad link last week, reposting)

16. Angela Stoner
    Angela Stoner January 19, 2014 at 9:39 pm |

Hello! This week, we have an incredible interview with Jan Marquart, LCSW. Jan shares how she believes that writing has the power to heal us all. Jan has been writing every day since 1972 and she believes that practice led to healing from a near-fatal disease. Jan also talks about her book Echoes From the Womb, A Book for Daughters and how women need to work through issues with their mothers in order to truly become the women they are meant to be!

~Angela~

17. Athenia
    Athenia January 20, 2014 at 11:23 am |

I finally got ahold of the book The Only Woman in the Room, the memoir of Beate Sirota Gordon who passed away last year. I was blown away by an article in the NYTimes about her—here was a white woman at the age of 22 who wrote the women’s right section of the Japanese constitution! I had no idea!

The Shojo Power of Beate Sirota Gordon

18. tigtog
    tigtog January 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm | *

It’s been a bad year already for journalistic ethics, as I wrote over on my own blog Hoyden About Town:

[CN: cancer, "good death"policing/shaming, Bill Keller]
    The ethics of scolding the dying

[CN: transphobia, transmisogyny, outing, suicide]
    Today in despair for the future of humanity: Caleb Hannan writing for Grantland

Both cases involve hugely lopsided legacy media megaphones being brought to bear on people quietly going about their own lives.

19. AGP
    AGP January 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm |

Trigger warning for discussion of sexual violence and related sensitive topics.

Licensed psychotherapist provides Q&A on the topic of “Arousal & Orgasm in Sexual Assault” this Saturday, Jan. 25, 11 a.m. EST (8 a.m. PST) on Reddit’s IAMA forum.
    This was conducted before and I was told was one of the highest rated AMA’s on Reddit.
    I’ve been invited back and am looking forward to promoting continued awareness.

The link provided below, but it won’t be active until the start of the discussion.