Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

About Jill

This entry was posted in General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. Kat Murry says:

Quirky Kids among us (and the adults they become): http://wp.me/p39G3C-lM

I reviewed the book, Quirky Kids, and discussed my own experiences as a socially unconventional person.

2. Nancy Leong says:

When should we condone and when should we condemn online vigilantism? I discuss the question from my perspective as a law professor here: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2014/01/vigilantism.html#more

3. Why You Can Love Your Body but Still Be OK with Photoshop Sometimes http://dianacgriffith.com/why-you-can-love-your-body-but-still-be-ok-with-photoshop-sometimes/

I wrote about the Lena Dunham/Vogue/Jezebel controversy and talked about why someone who is ok with their body could also be ok with using Photoshop.

4. Kasey Weird says:

I’m so rarely able to shamelessly self-promote anymore, because of my work schedule :(. Here’s a greatest hits from the last while:

A guest post exploring the problems with insisting that rape is always about power, or that rape and sex are even necessarily very different things.

Is it misgendering to call a binary-identified (i.e. male or female) person “they”? My conclusion: not at all.

A meandering exploration of the weirdness of language, the inconsistency with which gender neutral options are available, and some of the places where there just aren’t any.

[TW: suicide] On the one small thing in my life, from yeas ago, that continues to prevent me from killing myself.

Regarding those moments where you suddenly realize a phrase you’ve used your entire life without thinking about it is actually racist: don’t get angry about the inconvenience of retraining your brain not to say racist things, get angry about just how casually integrated racism (and all the other -isms and -phobias) is in our most basic societal interactions.

Cleavage-shaming. The “problem” is never the shirt the person is wearing; it’s the fact that our society simply insists that the act of having large breasts in public makes one inherently inappropriate.

5. Teddy says:

A couple of my colleagues at RH Reality Check had some notable pieces up this week:
    Adele Stan wrote up her experience at this years March for Life.
    Andrea Grimes wrote about the reproductive health care crisis in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.

6. ninjanurse says:

Nuns oppose birth control and Mike Huckabee say women can’t control their libido–but what is the truth about the female, low wage workforce of the Little Sisters of the Poor? You haven’t lived until you’ve changed adult diapers for minimum wage… That Slutty Woman Taking Care of Grandma

7. After yet another winter break spent not doing any of the ten million things I said I’d get done, I reflect on how my perfectionism and laziness are sometimes indistinguishable.

What does the media response to Richard Sherman’s post-game interview tell us about the construction of the postmodern self?

8. I wrote about making fatshion accessible to all, required for none, and the distorted worldview of the former hedgefund manager who wrote an NYT op-ed about how he left Wall Street to start a non-profit helping poor families who struggle with “obesity and food addiction.”

9. Gappy says:

Benefits Street (the real common enemy) – a look at how right-wing policy and its media puppets affects women and those living in poverty in Britain. http://www.gappytales.com/2014/01/benefits-street-the-real-common-enemy.html

10. Last week was the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: I blogged a bit about that with links to its resources, prepared by the churches of Canada.

My master’s thesis is coming along: I posted a progress report, and an excerpt in which I’m actually starting to make some specific claims about the theology of the church: A Mimetic Doctrine of the Church: The Locus of Desire for Salvation.

11. Heather says:

This week I had some questions about whether or not getting my hair chemically straightened makes me a bad feminist.

Then I wrote about my thoughts on school dress codes.

12. BroadBlogs says:

The word itself suggests evil: baad, the practice of making daughters pay for others’ crimes. A young girl becomes a slave and target for the rage that one family feels toward another. In the end, greater wrongs are committed than the original crime.

Selling Daughters into Slavery is “Baad”

Women can be mistaken for their sexuality. Or, women can make their sexuality work for them.

Intimates and Fools, with poetry by Laura Madeline Wiseman and illustrations by Sally Deskins, is a thought-provoking, conversation-starting coffee table book that got me thinking about all that.

Here, brassieres are the main character.

Bras Just Want Some Appreciation. Don’t We All?

13. Marsha says:

For teachers: 6 lesson plans exploring prejudice & discrimination: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/01/20/6-activities-exploring-prejudice-discrimination/

There are a lot of connections between feminism & animal protection. How does your U.S. state rank in animal protection laws?: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/01/23/state-rank-animal-protection-laws-reports-best-worst-states/

14. rimonim says:

Pink Collar Man. I was overcome with the sense I had made an embarrassing mistake, like walking into the wrong bathroom. But I wasn’t in the women’s restroom. I was in the first day of Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy.

15. Tori says:

I have a guest post up on yoga and consent [CN: boundaries, consent].

Otherwise, I’m having a slower blogging week (hectic real life week), so also a review for Free Yoga Friday: Mindful Yin.

16. Rebecca says:

The actions here in the Bay Area targeting Google employees got me thinking about how we get from expressing outrage at the forces that are pushing people out of San Francisco to actually finding ways to maintain and create the diverse, vibrant communities we want to live in.

17. delagar says:

Over at Skepchick’s Grounded Parents, I write a post on the dangers of early marriage, Against Marriage.

18. Nan says:

What do gay bars and health food stores have in common? The story of a young woman’s quest for something outside the mainstream takes her on a hitchhiking adventure across America in 1980.

19. Sue says:

This was a difficult post to write and then read – my 26th year was not an easy one (I’m 43 now) Content Notes: mental illness, gender oppression,

Something I do really well? Research and here’s a few tricks to using research to solve problems – all online. Content Notes: references to stalking, abuse, “creeping”, harassment, discrimination, ableism.

This is how you show you are an LGBTQ ally is you are going to ask LGBTQ families to donate money.

Brief update on my participation in the #365FeministSelfie project.

Finally, General Hospital hit a homerun with the reintroduction of openly gay legacy character, Lucas Jones and how. The day after I wrote this, the storyline took a huge unexpected by awesome twist. Kudos to GH for this.

20. Anna says:

Last month, a guest on Katie Couric’s talk show said that vaccinating against HPV with Gardasil was unnecessary, since Pap testing catches most precancerous lesions before they develop into cervical cancer. Was this an accurate statement?

The tl;dr version: Pap tests can find cancers not prevented by Gardasil, but Gardasil reduces your risk of abnormal results and unpleasant followups. The vaccine also protects against anal cancer and genital warts, which are not screened for or prevented by Pap testing! Read the full story here!

[Note to mods: I had problems posting this in the morning and couldn’t tell if it was merely being sent to moderation or if there were actual glitches. This will be my last attempt, and my apologies for any double posts!]

21. I’ve written a response piece to a column published Friday by feminist writer Ann Friedman.

22. mk says:

I have a piece up on The Toast! They’re also still seeking submissions for their trans* series.

23. Strike says:

At my blog, Underneath This, we posted an interview with Dan Leveille, who founded Equaldex, a collaborative knowledge base for the LGBT movement.

We also interviewed musicians Katey Laurel, Will Dailey, and Caravan of Thieves.

24. Sue says:

Sorry – this post was temporarily hidden due to a technical snafu. It should be fine now.