Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

Promote yourself.

Netiquette reminders:

• Want to recommend someone else’s writing instead? Try the weekly signal-boosting thread.
  • we expect Content Notes as a courtesy to our readers for problematic content in linked posts and/or their comment threads (a habit of posting only triggering/disparaging links may annoy the Giraffe (you really don’t want to annoy the Giraffe))
  • extended discussion of self-promotion links on this thread is counter-productive for the intended signal-boosting –  the idea is for the promoted sites to get more traffic.  If it’s a side-discussion that would be off-topic/unwelcome/distressing on the other site, take it to #spillover after leaving a note on this thread redirecting others there.

26 comments for “Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday

1. February 2, 2014 at 9:05 am

This week I addressed the Bechdel Test and women on screen.

I also wrote about perceptions of why women get tattoos.

2. February 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

Spent this week trying to raise funds for people without heat in our community.

Poverty is deepening in our community.

Blog post sums up all the stories

3. February 2, 2014 at 9:16 am

The 365 feminist selfie project. Really? I’m afraid I’m with the man on this one: http://www.gappytales.com/2014/02/the-365-feminist-selfie-project-im-with-the-man-on-this-one.html

4. Jecca
    February 2, 2014 at 9:43 am
  5. February 2, 2014 at 9:49 am

The Emmys were Satanic! Who knew? If Glenn Beck is scared of lite pop, Bessie Smith would make his head explode. She’s still dirty and funny as hell…
    Young People Today and Their Wicked, Wicked Music

The Republican rebuttal to President Obama had a feminine face, R-Cathy Mc Morris Rodgers, and then Sarah Palin R-Quit piled on. Both these women are raising sons with Down Syndrome. What will happen to them if their mothers succeed in shredding the safety net? Sarah Palin, WWTD

6. February 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

This week on the blog, I wrote about how we uncover and recreate our interpersonal narratives, Polaroids sent from the Past: http://t.co/cqRt2K5jRD

7. February 2, 2014 at 10:41 am

I put up my first outfit post for Fatshion February.

8. February 2, 2014 at 10:56 am

Last week was Representations of Sex Workers Theme Week at Bitch Flicks, and staff and guest writers examined indie films, Boogie Nights, Pretty Woman, Concussion, Sherlock, Firefly, Wild Side, Deuce Bigalow, The Client List, and more.

Here is a roundup of all of the posts.

9. February 2, 2014 at 11:19 am

This week, I wrote about how Republicans are swinging back against the War on Women accusations – by propping up working mom politicians who ‘have it all.’

I also wrote briefly about two articles this week – about trying to shut down Steven Brigham, and women in Texas procuring ulcer medication – that show we’re already seeing what a world without Roe might look like in the 21st century.

10. February 2, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Over at delagar, I write about my new post up at Grounded Parents.

Read it here: New Post: Breaking the Rules.

11. February 2, 2014 at 12:19 pm

A rich Wall Streeter looks in the mirror and sees someone at the cusp of poverty.

An anorexic looks in the mirror and sees someone who is fat.

One is addicted to money. The other to starvation. As each grasps for power.

Enter Mike Huckabee…

I wonder if distorted perceptions lie at the heart of the war on women.

Too rich, too thin, too in control of women’s bodies

12. February 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I wrote about a Facebook post that a 17 year old girl (from my alma mater) wrote about sexist words her principal said to a class about the dress code policy. The post went viral, I posted it on my Facebook page and sparked a debate I wasn’t expecting.

13. February 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Also! Crossed Genres Press, the magazine I edit for, has just released its new anthology, Fierce Families.

Y’all might want to have a look. We have a mission of publishing PoC and LGBTQ writers and stories.

Also the cover is beautiful.

14. February 2, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Beyond The Closet — For trans people, coming out is complicated.

15. February 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Weight of the world got you down? 6 sources you can turn to for more positive news: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/01/27/6-sources-positive-news/

Don’t have time to create a better world? 6 ways to create more space in our overtasked lives: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/01/30/6-ways-create-space-overtasked-lives/

16. Redskies
    February 2, 2014 at 2:08 pm

New this week at Scarleteen, we have an advice column from Sam, I Feel Guilty For Wanting Sex, discussing feelings, communication and decisions around differences in sexual desire within a partnership; and Heather tackles a complex mix of parenting realities and _isms in her advice column I’m 14 And Want A Baby. Is That Weird Or Slutty?.

– Redskies, Scarleteen Volunteer

17. February 2, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Rand Paul’s thoughts on the war on women sounded cartoonishly out of touch, but there are elements of his argument that a lot of people use to argue falsely that oppression is over.

Also, there was a lot to take from David Remnick’s profile of Obama, but one of the things that jumped out to me is that he seems to be ignoring his own advice on the limitations of military tools to deal with conflict in Syria.

18. February 2, 2014 at 3:34 pm

What do humans have in common with cute and cuddly koalas? Well, for starters, both of our species can suffer from sexually transmitted forms of chlamydia. Luckily for us, we have ways to protect ourselves!

Annually, around 3 million Americans are estimated to develop chlamydia infections — and most of them won’t have any symptoms whatsoever. This is why regular STD screening is so important for sexually active people — along with condoms and dental dams!

19. February 2, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I made a tasty bread dipping oil with pink peppercorns, smoked sea salt, and fresh thyme. Here’s the not-recipe and a pretty photo.

• ldouglas
      February 3, 2014 at 2:02 am

If you haven’t seen it yet, you have got to watch the BBCs ‘Hus$tle,’ which based on what you wrote here, you’d love.

20. Sue
    February 2, 2014 at 7:59 pm

(CN: homophobia, transphobia) I reviewed the Dallas Buyers Club and reflected on my ignorance of HIV/AIDS history.

Five “Queerability” Life Hacks that came to mind when I was further challenged by a bout of the flu.

My sense that 30somethings in my hometown of Pittsburgh are not using intersectional analysis, specifically with regard to disability and access to the spaces being revitalized (or holding events.)

Finally, I revisit how I broke up with Coke.

21. February 3, 2014 at 1:35 am

At some point, we all lose our mothers. I lost mine. I’m OK. I feel grief, but she wanted to be free, and I had to let her go.

22. February 3, 2014 at 6:28 am

Have neglected my blog for way too long and am slowly trying to get back into it. A great article on Autostraddle inspired the following, about queer visibility: I see you.

23. February 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

Just a little interview with the writer and director of the Sailor Moon fan film, Sailor Moon and the Return of the Shadows. More bad ass fan films linked in the article as well!

24. February 4, 2014 at 6:08 am

Sorry that I’m late. I did a rant on the new Jehovah’s Witness Awake magazine issue which publishes some quite careless views on suicide prevention and spreads false perception on suicidal statistics: http://indub.io/en/2014/01/31/suicide-a-question-of-attitude-reviewing-awakes-memorable-suicide-issue/